Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got a drawing of the radiator and CAC assy. There are a couple of dimensions they need to adjust, and move the cooling ports to the left, but looks like it will work well.

Is is anyone else interested in one, either rad, CAC or both? Any volume we can leverage will reduce the cost.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
I finally got a drawing of the radiator and CAC assy. There are a couple of dimensions they need to adjust, and move the cooling ports to the left, but looks like it will work well.

Is is anyone else interested in one, either rad, CAC or both? Any volume we can leverage will reduce the cost.

Craig, this looks good. I may be interested down the road, but I already bought a radiator and intercooler so we can get my car running soon.

Is this designed, like you mentioned before, to put the intercooler where a 944 radiator normally goes, and mount the radiator further back? Are the 4 tabs sticking out of the radiator going to incorporate some isolator brackets to the chassis?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar

Craig,

What are the specs on the radiator and intercooler? What hp will the intercooler support?

Also what will the price be for both?

I'm interested depending on how it mounts and the cost.

Brian
Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Who's the manufacturer?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:18 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil sump update

Mike and I (and the other boost brother, Zach) tacked the sump together last night and test fit it. So far so good. Hopefully will get it fully welded tomorrow. The pickup tube setup turned out really nice, IMO. I was able to put a bore scope in through the oil drain hole and snake it through a trap door to confirm the position is held off of the bottom of the pan by about 1/8” to 1/4” (it’s angled slightly).

Old 09-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Originally Posted by vt951
Mike and I (and the other boost brother, Zach) tacked the sump together last night and test fit it. So far so good. Hopefully will get it fully welded tomorrow. The pickup tube setup turned out really nice, IMO. I was able to put a bore scope in through the oil drain hole and snake it through a trap door to confirm the position is held off of the bottom of the pan by about 1/8” to 1/4” (it’s angled slightly).
Guys, this is the coolest (and probably most complex) part you’ve made yet. I for one am excited to get one into my car as well!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:46 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Mike and I (and the other boost brother, Zach) tacked the sump together last night and test fit it. So far so good. Hopefully will get it fully welded tomorrow.

All I have to say is, Let'er rip tater' chip!!
Holy cow, I knew it would be impressive, but knowing the finished product is just around the corner with a shiny powder coat & nice packaging.... This is so exciting! Following closely!!!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Is this designed, like you mentioned before, to put the intercooler where a 944 radiator normally goes, and mount the radiator further back?
This is designed for the intercooler to go just rearward of the stock 944 rad, about where the original fan shroud was. This points the left side intercooler connection just under the headlight pocket below the frame rail. There is still well over an inch between the fan and front pulley.

Are the 4 tabs sticking out of the radiator going to incorporate some isolator brackets to the chassis?

The upper ones can be used with an isolator to the bottom of the frame rail, but that may require welding in a nut on the car. The lower ones seem like the better option, as we would only need to weld an extension rearward on the stock 951 lower rad bracket on each side. Open to suggestions on that.

Originally Posted by Brian Smith
What are the specs on the radiator and intercooler? What hp will the intercooler support?

Also what will the price be for both?

I'm interested depending on how it mounts and the cost.

Brian
Both are all aluminum, design power is 525hp at 25psi boost, 125F ambient.

Price will depend on volume discount. I’m still looking at a few tweaks to the design to get the price down, but the complete system with sheet aluminum shroud and Spal fan was quoted to me $2800 for a one-off. If I can get the design a bit less complex and leverage a volume discount, would anyone buy in at $2000? Looking at what else is out there, 2-pass custom radiators for this much power are $800, custom intercoolers run $800, plus fan and shroud and mounting brackets, seems in the ballpark?

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Who's the manufacturer?
Bell Intercoolers in Texas.

But with my set of plans I can try and get quotes from others if anyone has a good suggestion. I’ve been turned down by a few others so far, but might give Griffin a try. I am trying to keep the cooling module all from one source which narrows down the options considerably.

Craig
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

This is all that stands between me and the dyno. Hopefully the wife will be super understanding the next few days!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not too much for a week 😏
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Brian Smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig,

I could get behind that, would like to be down in the $1800 range but that's just me. Would need to see how it all works in the car and verify fitment but if it's a drop in solution I'm on board.

Also weren't you working on an AC bracket as well

Brian
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

I'm working on one in my off time that will work with Alan's kit. Not sure if I'll be making more than one though, I don't have near the capabilities these gentlemen do.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
This is all that stands between me and the dyno. Hopefully the wife will be super understanding the next few days!
looks like the cardboard lists the Roadkill guys write up, then ignore half of.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
looks like the cardboard lists the Roadkill guys write up, then ignore half of.
haha, I’m not sure I can afford to skip any of these!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian Smith
Craig,

I could get behind that, would like to be down in the $1800 range but that's just me. Would need to see how it all works in the car and verify fitment but if it's a drop in solution I'm on board.

Also weren't you working on an AC bracket as well

Brian
At one time I was going to put a Honda AC compressor in facing backward, in leiu of power steering. But since then I've changed my mind and I think I'm going to install an electic AC compressor. This gives better mounting options and allows those of you running power steering the option to keep with the pulley and pump in Alan and Mike's kit. Do a search for the RenCool MD18 compressor for what I have in mind.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread