Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

That flange looks great, Alan. We do some Audi work at my shop and I often see coolant leaks from the clip-in coolant temp sensor/O-ring on any VW/Audi from that era. Does anyone make an aftermarket metal clip for those? It might be a good option to have threaded bosses for both sensors to eliminate that possibility. The aftermarket ECU can be made to work with pretty much any common water temp sensor.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
From what Issam told me, he's casting a whole new thermostat housing for the 07K which will have a different interface to the thermostat cover... allowing a 1.8T cover to bolt directly on. Pretty sweet...
I have a TTRS t-stat housing which gets things in a better location than the VW version, but the stat element is not sold separately. This sounds like it might be a great option.

Added a little 8 mm barb; same size as the one on the 944 expansion tank:

This will be excellent. Any price estimate on the production batch? I would vote for the carbon reinforced nylon.

Craig
Old 08-29-2019, 09:33 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
I have a TTRS t-stat housing which gets things in a better location than the VW version, but the stat element is not sold separately. This sounds like it might be a great option.

This will be excellent. Any price estimate on the production batch? I would vote for the carbon reinforced nylon.

Craig
I looked at some more options for materials last night. An alternative I'm looking at is glass-filled nylon, which has similar properties to carbon-filled nylon but is available to be printed using a power sintering process, so no support material is needed. I'll keep looking into it. Price-wise, if I find a place that gives me a break on quantity, I hope to get the cost under $100 each. As it is now, it would be around $150 each (which is a lot, I know). I recently met with a company that does a little bit different process that works better in batches, so I'll try to get a quote for 25 or 50 of them.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked out buildparts.com? They have a facility in Chicagoland and do SLS.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I looked at some more options for materials last night. An alternative I'm looking at is glass-filled nylon, which has similar properties to carbon-filled nylon but is available to be printed using a power sintering process, so no support material is needed. I'll keep looking into it. Price-wise, if I find a place that gives me a break on quantity, I hope to get the cost under $100 each. As it is now, it would be around $150 each (which is a lot, I know). I recently met with a company that does a little bit different process that works better in batches, so I'll try to get a quote for 25 or 50 of them.
how would the carbon-filled nylon perform as intake manifold stubs, you think?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Have you checked out buildparts.com? They have a facility in Chicagoland and do SLS.
I haven't yet, but I will
Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
how would the carbon-filled nylon perform as intake manifold stubs, you think?
Could work, I think. Probably more expensive than my cast aluminum manifold will be, when you factor in the other parts needed upstream of the stubs. But, I think it could be an option for someone who wants to do their own thing.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
That flange looks great, Alan. We do some Audi work at my shop and I often see coolant leaks from the clip-in coolant temp sensor/O-ring on any VW/Audi from that era. Does anyone make an aftermarket metal clip for those? It might be a good option to have threaded bosses for both sensors to eliminate that possibility. The aftermarket ECU can be made to work with pretty much any common water temp sensor.
I have seen metal clips for sale somewhere. Were they leaking because the clips broke? Or maybe the o-ring around the sensor just got hard and needed to be replaced?

one thing I’m considering doing is making this dimension taller so it’s less likely to break off.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:24 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, there are metal clips available. A lot of times the thermostat housings themselves fail. Metal options would be greatly preferred. Plastic could work, but I'd worry about long-term reliability and availability. Factory made plastic housings generally don't last much more than 100k miles.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:26 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Did a MASSIVE organizational update at the start of the thread. If anyone has any good topics we've discussed in the past that you'd like referenced please let me know otherwise I'll keep digging through and picking the stuff that I think is worth bookmarking. I've also put a few placeholders in there for sections that I plan on writing as I get time.
The following users liked this post:
senior_squishy (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:27 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

I haven't yet, but I will
Also you might want to check out https://www.protolabs.com/
Old 08-30-2019, 02:04 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Also you might want to check out https://www.protolabs.com/
I checked both of these, and they were both a lot more expensive than 3dhubs.com for this particular part in glass-filled nylon.

Last edited by vt951; 08-30-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Did a MASSIVE organizational update at the start of the thread. If anyone has any good topics we've discussed in the past that you'd like referenced please let me know otherwise I'll keep digging through and picking the stuff that I think is worth bookmarking. I've also put a few placeholders in there for sections that I plan on writing as I get time.
Thanks for summarizing there; very handy!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice job. That's a lot of html. For those that don't write html frequently, at least.

In an effort to add something useful to this thread...

FWIW, I've read that the I5 in the 8V-chassis RS's (the current RS3 and TTRS) uses an aluminum block rather than cast iron. I have not researched if that is true however.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:15 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Nice job. That's a lot of html. For those that don't write html frequently, at least.

In an effort to add something useful to this thread...

FWIW, I've read that the I5 in the 8V-chassis RS's (the current RS3 and TTRS) uses an aluminum block rather than cast iron. I have not researched if that is true however.
That's correct, it's sometimes referred to as the 07k Evo. I think there's a SSP (self study program) out there that details all of the differences. They've addressed quite a few strength issues, despite moving to an aluminum block. Certainly a cool engine, but it's going to be awhile before any of those engines start becoming available in the used market for reasonable prices.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread