Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:55 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
What's the part number on the slave we need to use as well?

Finding things in this thread is getting harder and harder as it grows. Is there a spot we could put a spreadsheet or something, maybe the Boost Bros site or a shared google doc, that lists the additional parts needed for the swap?
I'm planning to use the stock 944 clutch master cylinder. In my initial testing, it seemed to be a good match for the Solstice GXP slave.

Agreed, our documentation is not the greatest yet. Behind the scenes, Mike has been documenting part numbers, and we've both been working on figuring out the easiest assembly processes as we go. Once I get a little bit more freed up from the parts design and prototype build, documentation is my next step. Until then, it's unfortunately going to have to continue like we've been doing (just posting and searching on RL).

We are pushing hard to get the oil sump and cooling systems built asap, then get the wire harness and ECU installed, dyno tuned, and start doing track testing on both of our cars (NA and turbo) in October. If documentation can wait until after that, it would really help us to move along faster with the development.

In the meantime, I'll see if Mike is ready to share his part number list.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:56 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
I have a sheet I've put together with costs for my own sanity and budgeting purposes, but I'll put some part numbers into it & share it when it's finished.

Edit: Also, maybe @alxdgr8 can add it to the first post on page 1 so new users can find it easily?
Spencer, would you mind emailing that list to Mike or I just to make sure it's consistent with Mike's list (and maybe you have things that we're missing)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Happy to update the first post(s) to hold key information.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:24 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here's a rear coolant flange design we're going to try out. It will be 3D printed from carbon-filled nylon. Has the same three original ports, but relocated to clear the 944 firewall. Also has a port for the 944 coolant temp sender to thread in and hook up to your instrument cluster.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:07 AM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good. Do you have any provision for venting air? The VW version had a small tube from the high point in the system in the hose between this part and the radiator, but with our cars the top of this flange will be the highest point.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:25 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Hmmmm. Okay. I like it. So when it comes to slicing, probably 100% infill, flange side against the build surface, lots of support material for all those inlets/outlets, veeeeery slow, since tubes tend to have overhang on the inside if the layers are printed too fast.

Edit: I found the diagram from page 50-somthing, looks like the top one with the slots is for another temp sensor.... So we'll have two temp sensor ports?

Also, how's development going for the thermostat housing? Are we going to be using the stock plastic one with an adapter, or is a whole new one going to be made?
Sorry, I know lots of questions but all of this is so exciting I can't help it 😅
Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM
drakore
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
The guy you know must have missed something. VW head cc's at 46, Audi DI head cc's at 45. Jetta head gasket thickness is 0.015", TTRS is 0.031". Both engines run 144mm rods and have 220mm deck height. So if you put TTRS/RS3 pistons in a VW block with TTRS/RS3 head gasket you'll have a CR of 9.68 instead of 10.0:1. Unless he forgot to mention he's running a thicker head gasket (Bar-Tek sells them for the TTRS)? As mentioned, that's much too high for a port injected turbo engine, not to mention TTRS/RS3 pistons have a bowl shape optimized for DI, not port injection.

Running stock TTRS/RS3 rods are fine to 500 lb-ft at the wheels, according to Hank Iroz. I see no issue with whether they are cracked type or not as long as the same cap and rod stay together. The rod bearings for TTRS/RS3 and VW are the same, so as long as you check clearances before you assemble the engine it will all go together fine.

Many good options out there, but I chose to run custom JE pistons, basically the spec Integrated Engineering sells for the VW except with 22mm pins and 9.5:1. I wanted a higher CR to keep the off-boost torque up for daily driver, have access to pump 93 octane here, and have the option of using the Bar-Tek thicker head gasket if I hit knock when upping the boost. The nice thing with a custom tune and older cars here in WI is that I don't need to pass smog, so I can also richen up the fuel to fight knock.

My donor block had a scuffed cylinder, so I went up to 83mm bore. Bore/hone is cheap (compared to buying all these parts), and I can have the piston-wall clearances optimized right away.

Rods I bought a set of H-beam 144x22mm from Integrated Engineering, part# IERHVB2-RD. They quoted them at 125HP (flywheel) each, so plenty for my intended usage. I know they and other good companies offer I-beam for only a bit more money (but more weight).

Craig
Hey Craig,

How much boost are you running on 93 oct and that compression ratio?

I am building my motor right now and my mechanic recommended nothing higher than 9:1 CR. A couple of friends run 8.5:1 but also run a lot of boost.

At the end of the day, mine is mainly a street car and I'd like to get the Mahle Powerpacks which have a CR of 9.3:1, so I'm a little torn. My block also only has 30k km on it, so I'd like to use 82.5mm and the JE Pistons with 8.5:1 only come in 83mm.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM
drakore
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
I’ll have to ask... If it were my build, I’d run a thicker head gasket and do meth injection on high boost settings.

As for cams, I know Cat has a few options. The TTRS cams are a drop in upgrade as well, I’m just not sure how big of a difference they make. I’m still learning about this platform!
I ended up getting TTRS cams. I think the stock NA cams are good until about 6000 and the TTRS will get you up to 7000.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Looks good. Do you have any provision for venting air? The VW version had a small tube from the high point in the system in the hose between this part and the radiator, but with our cars the top of this flange will be the highest point.
Craig, good idea, I'll look into that. I'm guessing a breather port or steam vent would tie into the high point of the expansion tank, so I'll size the port to that hose.

Hmmmm. Okay. I like it. So when it comes to slicing, probably 100% infill, flange side against the build surface, lots of support material for all those inlets/outlets, veeeeery slow, since tubes tend to have overhang on the inside if the layers are printed too fast.

Edit: I found the diagram from page 50-somthing, looks like the top one with the slots is for another temp sensor.... So we'll have two temp sensor ports?

Also, how's development going for the thermostat housing? Are we going to be using the stock plastic one with an adapter, or is a whole new one going to be made?
Sorry, I know lots of questions but all of this is so exciting I can't help it ��
Yeah, 100% infill. Not sure about the print orientation, but I'll leave that up to the 3D printing guy. If it's a real bitch with support material, I may end up getting it made using a process other than FDM. I actually already had a couple made in a slightly different design, so I'll see how they turned out before pulling the trigger on these. Alternatively, I could get it made from ABS using an SLA machine, which I think would meet the temperature requirements but isn't as rigid or strong as the carbon-filled nylon FDM would be.

Yes, two temp sensors... one stock VW sensor that the PE ecu will use, and one stock 944 sensor that the instrument cluster will use (for people who want to retain the factory gauges).

For the thermostat housing, I'm counting on iAbed. He's having a custom cast housing made that will accept a 1.8T thermostat cover which has the hose barb pointed in the right direction for us. In the meantime, Mike and I are cobbling an ugly solution together for testing our cars.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Originally Posted by drakore
Hey Craig,

How much boost are you running on 93 oct and that compression ratio?

I am building my motor right now and my mechanic recommended nothing higher than 9:1 CR. A couple of friends run 8.5:1 but also run a lot of boost.

At the end of the day, mine is mainly a street car and I'd like to get the Mahle Powerpacks which have a CR of 9.3:1, so I'm a little torn. My block also only has 30k km on it, so I'd like to use 82.5mm and the JE Pistons with 8.5:1 only come in 83mm.

Thanks!
With decent cams and the good flow of these heads, I shouldn't need more than 22-24psi to make 500lb-ft at the crank, 500hp at 6500RPM. Compression ratio has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the last week, see above.

Regarding pistons, you can have JE make pistons to any spec you want, including an order for 'same as but 82.5mm bore' to the spec you reference. Same price and just about 4-6 weeks lead time, depending on coatings.

Craig

Last edited by Cjar; 08-28-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
Alternatively, I could get it made from ABS using an SLA machine, which I think would meet the temperature requirements but isn't as rigid or strong as the carbon-filled nylon FDM would be.
ABS could be a solution, I might worry about the engine rocking back and fourth on the rubber mounts and pinching the flange if it wasn't as tough as the carbon fiber. Reasonable concern?

Yes, two temp sensors... one stock VW sensor that the PE ecu will use, and one stock 944 sensor that the instrument cluster will use (for people who want to retain the factory gauges).
That makes a whole lot more sense, not sure why I didn't think of that 😅

For the thermostat housing, I'm counting on iAbed. He's having a custom cast housing made that will accept a 1.8T thermostat cover which has the hose barb pointed in the right direction for us.
Okay, so is it a whole new housing, or an adapter for the cover we saw a couple pages ago....?

In the meantime, Mike and I are cobbling an ugly solution together for testing our cars.
This is the content I'm here for!! Ugly, rough, prototypes to just send it with!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

ABS could be a solution, I might worry about the engine rocking back and fourth on the rubber mounts and pinching the flange if it wasn't as tough as the carbon fiber. Reasonable concern?

That makes a whole lot more sense, not sure why I didn't think of that ��

Okay, so is it a whole new housing, or an adapter for the cover we saw a couple pages ago....?

This is the content I'm here for!! Ugly, rough, prototypes to just send it with!

Not sure... pinching the flange? There will be aluminum inserts in the plastic mounting holes (just like the stock flange), so if I you're worried about that, it shouldn't be a problem.

From what Issam told me, he's casting a whole new thermostat housing for the 07K which will have a different interface to the thermostat cover... allowing a 1.8T cover to bolt directly on. Pretty sweet...
The following users liked this post:
JWebber (08-29-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
Not sure... pinching the flange?

From what Issam told me, he's casting a whole new thermostat housing for the 07K which will have a different interface to the thermostat cover... allowing a 1.8T cover to bolt directly on. Pretty sweet...
Yeah, I meant between the chain cover and the firewall. If you're not concerned, then nor am I.

I think I know what you mean now. The part that's attached to the block from the water pump.
Sortof like what's been made here, except much prettier?:

Old 08-28-2019, 10:22 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Added a little 8 mm barb; same size as the one on the 944 expansion tank:

Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Yup. Sure hope it's prettier.

Yeah, I meant between the chain cover and the firewall. If you're not concerned, then nor am I.

I think I know what you mean now. The part that's attached to the block from the water pump.
Sortof like what's been made here, except much prettier?:

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread