Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:45 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by locke
Almost out of money sinking into this 944. Considering going hungry so I can get more parts in.
The girlfriend is a bit mad at me cause of that one. "If you're spending all this money on your car why don't we ever go out to eat any more?" Best to just say nothing... and hide the Pelican Parts boxes deeper in the closet...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Replaced that @#%$& thermofan switch AGAIN. I'm about ready to convert to a manual fan circuit...
I wrote a thread showing how to wire up a manual switch for the radiator fans. It was cheap and easy. Most replies said to just get a low temp thermo switch.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM
locke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed sausage hacker. That would be the best course of action. I had to ditch my ex fiancé because she wanted me to give up my car and gun hobbies and just stick to playing the guitar. That and I found out she was cheating on me, to which she wanted to continue being a hoe bag. Not saying that would happen to anyone else nor do I wish that upon anyone.

Today I received my rear toe alignment tool and am trying to source out oil cooler o-rings.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought a companion for the supercharged car.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM
locke
Advanced

[IMG][/IMG]

I did some welding today. Who knew the pipe diameter on an 84 944 reduced down to 2" right after the cat?! Weird.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 AM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aggravatingly, realized that a few hours after I replaced those square rubber/plastic gaskets around outer door handles, I inadvertently dislodged the rod (?) or whatever it is that allows both doors to be locked with the key...so I can't lock either door til I figure out what I did!? I'm assuming I have to remove both inner door panels to get access to the inner workings of the lock assembly and figure out what the hell popped off? Grrrrrrr
Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

I had a reputable car shop do the timing and balance shaft belts for me, as well as some other things.

I had asked them to figure out why my exhaust and heat shields still rattled even though they were new/repaired and the motor mounts had been replaced. Passenger-side (I think I recall that right) was off by 4 teeth. Hence why a a$$-load of things rattled on my car. They did note that my water pump is pretty much stuck on my block for now as 2 bolts are so tight that they're worried they'll snap them and have to end up doing work on the block... so they said to leave that alone. I'll get that SOB off myself one day.

So, my belts are done, my water pump is verified to not be leaking like I suspected, brake fluid changed and a 4-wheel alignment has been done. So, he's ready for my road trip to Virginia next month for Easter. Glad to know that for sure now.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
locke
Advanced

Name:  3CE7F4BF-4D0F-4227-AA9C-2EBCED9D4F8C_zpsxgswlt53.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  E073B9A8-FA70-4343-8093-8AEF6DFCB7B9_zpspdpgm2bh.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  77.2 KB

Finished up the exhaust today it seems a lot of the pipes on it were 2 1/8" o.d. And 2" I.d. So the kick up to 2.25" at the cat and 2.5" after it should actually be beneficial to some degree. Even if it isn't much.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Volhv_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by todzilla
Aggravatingly, realized that a few hours after I replaced those square rubber/plastic gaskets around outer door handles, I inadvertently dislodged the rod (?) or whatever it is that allows both doors to be locked with the key...so I can't lock either door til I figure out what I did!? I'm assuming I have to remove both inner door panels to get access to the inner workings of the lock assembly and figure out what the hell popped off? Grrrrrrr

What popped off is the microswitch for the power door lock actuators. It's a squareish black block with two white wires connected to it. It attaches to the fwd side of the tumbler housing.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Went to start the car last night in anticipation of great weather today, found out that my battery was toast despite having been on a tender. So...

Replaced my battery. Discovered I had a group size 78 installed, which was tight but actually isn't a bad fit since it has side posts. Costco didn't have a 41 or even a 40R, so I decided to go with a 75. Similar power to a 41 but has side posts like the 78. The positive terminal also isn't as scarily close to the chassis as it was with the 78.

Finally got the car started, just ran it long enough to get all the way up to temp then turned it off. Coolant started burping all over the place, so I bled the cooling system once it had cooled off some.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:40 AM
todzilla
Racer

Originally Posted by Volhv_944
What popped off is the microswitch for the power door lock actuators. It's a squareish black block with two white wires connected to it. It attaches to the fwd side of the tumbler housing.

Hmmmm, well I removed the door panel (16 screws!) to try to get access to it, and it figures - there is a metal plate obscuring getting access to the rear of the handle! I then unscrewed the 1 screw (at top rear edge of inside the door - near the door catch mechanism) - holding the handle onto the cars body to see if I could figure it out, but nada. It looked like there was something attached to the tumbler (area) as there is a small round nub that looks like it belongs attached to...something! Would that black block have fallen down to the bottom on the inner door? Will it be loose like a big fat eraser or do I feel around for a rod? Argghh...why did I replace those damn gaskets!?!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Replaced the chain tensioner pads - not hard at all, really, and some peace of mind for sure. They existing pads were replaced about eight years and 50K miles ago, so I figured it couldn't hurt to go ahead and replace them. The old pads appeared to be still be in very good condition. While the valve cover is off, I'll send it out for powder coating. I think I'll do a black crinkle finish with red Porsche letters. Might as well make it look good before it goes back on! Everything else inside looks like it's in great shape for 173K miles.
Attached Images   

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 03-23-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Resealed throttle body using Arnnworx kit - much better! I was definitely losing vacuum through those old rotted shaft seals.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Volhv_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by todzilla
Hmmmm, well I removed the door panel (16 screws!) to try to get access to it, and it figures - there is a metal plate obscuring getting access to the rear of the handle! I then unscrewed the 1 screw (at top rear edge of inside the door - near the door catch mechanism) - holding the handle onto the cars body to see if I could figure it out, but nada. It looked like there was something attached to the tumbler (area) as there is a small round nub that looks like it belongs attached to...something! Would that black block have fallen down to the bottom on the inner door? Will it be loose like a big fat eraser or do I feel around for a rod? Argghh...why did I replace those damn gaskets!?!
The block won't fall to the bottom because the wire is attached to the shield you mentioned. That's so you don't get get your door slim jimmed.... and to protect the actuator from rain?
How did you replace the door handle gaskets if you did not remove the door handle?
Here's what a set of microswitches looks like (one for each door). I stole the image from e-bay.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:39 AM
locke
Advanced

Resealed lower balancing rod housing since I had the oil pan off.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today