Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful! makes me want a new paint job...
Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking good Spencer!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed driver's side track rod end and front wheel bearing, found that the TPMS I installed (well, the tyre guys did the valve thingies) the other day had actually started working properly.

The bearing wasn't as bad a job as I thought it might be... was a bit wary of ending up with a 3-wheeled car on the street plus some bits that wouldn't fit together properly. Tricky bit was getting the old races out, which took more, and heavier, blows with a hammer+brass punch than I was really comfortable inflicting on an alloy wheel hub for the first time. (And I did end up with a couple of slight marks on the inside of the hub, but a light application of emery paper smoothed things out again).

New bearings and races went in OK - definitely needed drivers of the right size, and just heating the hub/freezing races wouldn't have been enough I think.

Last edited by zogster; 04-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

where did you mount the TPMS screen? cool idea
Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
zogster
Pro

It's going in the centre console, in some foam in which I'm cutting holes to take both the TPMS display and an iPhone/iPod.

The foam sits in what used to be the cassette holder, from which I've removed the flappy separator things(and the plastic hinge broke a while back, so there's no cover). 10mm carpet underlay worked nicely - I popped into a carpet shop and they just gave me a sample square for free. I'm routing cables through holes in the bottom layer so they appear neatly in each of the recesses for the displaand the iPhone. It could do with some kind of covering, and I'm thinking maybe Plastidip rubber paint. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Last edited by zogster; 10-30-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: fixed typo: Plastdip changed to Plastidip
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 PM
stew-gart44
Banned

played with sunroof had leaks ..water on floor pass side and in morning im gona bleed clutch with motive power bleeder( i have a new master in mail)but wanna bleed it and see anyways then fix battery area leak then work on outside of car the back bumpers pushed in 3 inc and front the same...anyone every had to do this to bumpers?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

After getting the oil pan gasket all done, and meticulously, I might add, noticed that I still have an oil leak back there. the pan is not distorted and I pretty much expected that the rear main seal was gone too. All the other rubber seals in the engine are/were hard and I'm going front to back replacing everything rubber. While the oil pan was off, replaced the steering rack fluid and boots, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, lower ball joint boots, rod bearings and bolts. Getting ready to pull the tranny, clutch/flywheel to get to the $5 bearing seal. Also re-doing the tranny output shaft seals and the paper gasket seal that hold the rear case half on the transaxle (since it's leaking a bit too). CV joints and boots in good shape so I'll leave them alone. Good chance to clean off all the road dirt my pressure washer didn't reach on the rear end.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM
hopps
Instructor

Picked up a trans w/short 5th for $250...and he threw in a m030 front swayyy!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Looks good V2Rocket, I'm excited for you. Really makes me want to start stripping mine down now.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stew-gart44
played with sunroof had leaks ..water on floor pass side and in morning im gona bleed clutch with motive power bleeder( i have a new master in mail)but wanna bleed it and see anyways then fix battery area leak then work on outside of car the back bumpers pushed in 3 inc and front the same...anyone every had to do this to bumpers?
The bumpers have little parts behind them that act as springs. When you hit something, it might not damage the bumper itself, but those little springs/buffers collapse. Might check that.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the bumper shocks mine where the same way before i ditched them for fiberglass bumpers now if i hit some thing im F!_!CKED just bent aluminum now

i still have some shocks around so pm if you need to know what lenght they are or if you need
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM
zogster
Pro

*Almost* finished tidying up the TPMS/iPhone install in my centre console, in the cassette holder.

1. Cut two pieces of 10mm thick foam. One sits in the the bottom of the holder, the other sits on top and has cut-outs for the TPMS brain and the iPhone/iPod.

2. Routed iPhone-to-stereo and TPMS power cables under ashtray, gearshift boot etc, up to dash.

3. Cut and stitched cover for foam out of 9x18inch offcut of Alcantara.

4. Stuck Alcantara to foam with too much carpet adhesive.

5. Cut holes for cables. (A Motorola 90-degree mini-USB adapter made it a bit easier to get the TPMS brain power cable arranged neatly-ish in the space I dug for it into the bottom side of the bottom layer of foam.)

6. Poked cables through holes, popped into cassette holder.

[Still to do... 7. tidy away extra length of iPod cable, use sticky Velcro to secure in place but still allow easy removal]
Attached Images  

Last edited by zogster; 04-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

seems there was a unique opportunity to pick up some spare glass cheap. several years ago. that was then...

at present, Porsche is charging close to 900 dollars for replacement windshields for the 968.

anyway, we cut the windshield out of Gary's (EspritS4s) 968 parts car today.

if you know anyone who's ever done one of these, they'll tell you from personal experience your chance of breaking the windshield is very high.

so, here's a good plan if you wish to do one of these yourself;

first, i drilled a hole in the lower driver's side corner under the glass with a 1/8" bit to pass the wire through, and being extremely careful as to not touch the glass with the bit...... next, we pulled 100 lb standed cable (our cutting instrument) through the hole and we worked our way up.... first around the two driver's side corners, across the top and around to the passenger side to the bottom and around... stopping about 1/3 of the way across. this used up about 50 feet of cable, breaking the stranded wire about 18 times in about 2 hours.

next we attached 5 long vertical strands of duct tape to the glass starting near the bottom and ran the tape back up over the roof to prevent the windshield from weighing down on the small area epoxy still supporting the glass.... next, we put a tire on the passenger side of the windshield to keep any part of the glass from coming up as we reached near the end of the cut... and starting from the original hole we began cutting into the opposite direction.....

when we reached the lower center of the windshied.. we were now working in a secton of the glass that is more resistent to breaking.... and after breaking through to the other side, i gently lifted the glass off it's former resting place... we peeled back the duct tape and we were home.

one more key is to not try to cut too fast or you'll just be throwing away a good piece of glass.

next, finally i have the oportunity to finish the new lower front valence... hopefully that will happen by the day after tomorrow.

;

Last edited by odurandina; 11-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here's the evidence:

Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

ive heard there's a cheaper late windshield option that doesn't have the antenna in it...you can always just run a wire around the windshield to use as an antenna...thats what i did when i went with a turbo front end on my early car, works just fine...about as good as the old aerial

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today