Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951red86
Crappy luck J1, hope they get it fixed up for you, that's a nice colour.

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, damper and fuel lines this weekend, and reconnected the vacuum so it's not running rich anymore and I'm less worried about an engine fire. Might take the fire extinguisher out, but I'll give it a couple more weeks just in
Hey there Red,
Did you replace the hard fuel lines under the car? And/or the line from tank to fuel filter?
TIA
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the radiator may not be functioning at full capacity so i removed the fans, radiator, and belt covers. i figured i just as well check belt tension while i was there.

i also glued the rear view mirror mount to the windshield. hopefully it stays on when i attempt to mount the mirror itself.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I gave mine a bath, then Clay Bar, then wax.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 AM
951red86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Hey there Red,
Did you replace the hard fuel lines under the car? And/or the line from tank to fuel filter?
TIA
Hey Virginia,

Just the fuel lines from the hard line to the rail. Didn't go so far as the lines to the tank, yet :P
Ran a lot smoother today though with the new pressure hardware. This week it's distributor cap, rotor and plugs.
Gotta love it.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM
OHNOES
Intermediate

Sanded and a few coats of primer gray for the time being, removal of most of the interior pieces tomorrow. Huzzah!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Not today, but over the weekend..
Car #1 (mine) Wash and Wax..
Car #2 (not mine) fabricated / installed new battery / ground / alternator cables.. several issues resolved in the process
Car #3 (also not mine) removed cam tower / belts / covers / water pump / etc..etc..etc.. should be getting cleaned this week, and re-assembled with new parts next weekend!

Thus goes the "prep for the fest" push for local owners... hope to see everyone there!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Not today, but over the weekend..
Car #1 (mine) Wash and Wax..
Car #2 (not mine) fabricated / installed new battery / ground / alternator cables.. several issues resolved in the process
Car #3 (also not mine) removed cam tower / belts / covers / water pump / etc..etc..etc.. should be getting cleaned this week, and re-assembled with new parts next weekend!

Thus goes the "prep for the fest" push for local owners... hope to see everyone there!
Thanks!

Today I stripped the cam tower for a proper refinish and I am going to pick up some P/C'd bits in a minute.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
john durdin
Advanced

CHANGED THE HALL SENDER ON MY S2, I HAD TO REMOVE THE CAM COVER , I HOPE IT DOSENT START LEAKING IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT MOUNT THE PLUGS ON THE BRACKET BEFORE YOU SCREW IT DOWN YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN ONCE YOU GET INTO IT .ALL MY SENDER PLUGS ARE FALLING APART WILL DO THEM ALL EVENTUALLY . JOHN
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
locke
Advanced

replaced the ole 8 year old battery.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

No project on a 25yr old car ever seems to go as planned. That is unless you plan on things going wrong.

Never thought rotors and pads could cause me this much grief. Long story short.

Inspect/repack wheel bearings, new drilled/slotted rotors, pads, clean/lube calipers, adjust parking brake, and replaced a kinked hard line to the left rear caliper???!!! It was crushed/kinked quite badly. No idea why. Surprised it didn't get caught in the safety inspection last year.

Well I'm just happy that it didn't cause an incident. Anyone want to borrow my horseshoe?

I haven't had the car out to give the brakes a good workout. I just bed them in, and left it at that for the day. They look good though! I should have painted the calipers, but I'll save that for when the weather sucks.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Originally Posted by john durdin
CHANGED THE HALL SENDER ON MY S2, I HAD TO REMOVE THE CAM COVER , I HOPE IT DOSENT START LEAKING IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT MOUNT THE PLUGS ON THE BRACKET BEFORE YOU SCREW IT DOWN YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN ONCE YOU GET INTO IT .ALL MY SENDER PLUGS ARE FALLING APART WILL DO THEM ALL EVENTUALLY . JOHN
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Anyways, I always coast down a particular hill and this time, I went the fastest I have ever gone doing that. I completely attribute it to the huge aerodynamic advantage I have gained from these new 968 mirrors and handles. Definitely had nothing to do with the fact that I drafted a semi for a portion of the hill
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

He may be an engineer, caps lock has no affect on us anymore!

Anyways, shoving the engine back in tonight. No biggie.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 AM
951red86
Intermediate

Had her at my mechanic's for a few days this week. He rechecked the belts after having them replaced a couple months ago and he had some extra time so he tackled a couple other projects I had parts for: coolant temp sensor, distributor cap and rotor, plugs (NGK Platinum), and he checked over the exhaust, clutch and brake systems.

He showed me a bit of a fluid leak from the slave cylinder, a pretty cooked third manifold gasket and a bit of crack/leak at second exhaust manifold.

Have solved vacuum problems so mixture is good now, running much smoother.

On the list:
- engine mounts maybe this year
- manifold work at some point down the road (likely pull and professional weld)
- have fuel filter to replace
- replace right tie rod when it gets here, then alignment
- oil change in a month or so, get some 20W50 in there if I can find it
- worn shifter boot may replace someday
- expansion tank replace +/- coolant hoses
- I'd like to touch up the paint in a few places (L3MA, if anyone knows the best place to get touchup I'd be curious to know).
- keep enjoying it as my daily driver

I'm really lucky with my mechanic, he worked for Mercedes in Germany for 15 years or so before moving to Canada 25 years ago and has been working on European cars ever since. He's happy with the state the car is in and thinks it's running like new aside from the slave cylinder leak and exhaust manifold issue.

Now that I'm feeling more confident in the condition of the car, it should be about time for a blowout, no?

Enough rambling for now, have a great weekend all.
Cory
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Touch up paint you can buy from the dealer.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
951red86
Intermediate

Pic of the rubberized black paint I used at the rear of the rocker panel. I thought about following it up the side, cutting back toward the wheel-well, have seen a couple of 44's with that style of stone guard.

Would rather have stayed with red, but was afraid it wouldn't match well and hard to find rubberized India/Guard's.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today