Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove her 6hrs today to pickup some Cup IIs from a Rennlister. Longest I had driven her.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contemplated having driven her 10,000 miles since putting the head back on in February...

AND popped the hood mold for the new 951 hood... mold looks good, now for some more fun...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

probably made it jealous by changing the oil on an RX-8 spaceship today
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
hopps
Instructor

Started taking her apart for my head job. Finished taking her apart for the day, then realized "Crap...I have to put that all back together eventually!"

Also got a new phone which snapped a really cool picture.
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

bought a carpet kit from a rennlister(rob)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Installed ONE of my new 968 door handles...

I have to be missing something. I have an 89, so its got the nifty security shield on the inside of the door. I have taken that out, but it seems like there is no way around the window rail. I think I heard that some people have taken it out for easier access when swapping handles, but I didn't see how to remove the rail.

Any experience/advice/links would be great, especially considering that I only have one useful link to go off of and it looks like the digital camera wasn't real popular when it was published

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...68_handles.htm

and the 951motorsports page has long since passed. I heard that they had a nice write-up
Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

On the weekend I thought I would do a quick little 30 minute job and put in light bulbs and clean up the ground mountings on my 951.

Jeebus! Is there anyplace on a 951 that you can get your hands into. After 30 years of motorcycles, motorcycle racing, and Datsuns I have almost every metric tool and wrenches here in the shop. 1/4 inch to 3/4 drive and impacts. Check. Midget wrenches and long patterrn. Open and box. Check. Specials and swivels. Check. More, more,.... check, check,.....

But trying to get my hands in the 951 to do something. Grrrrrrr. Cuss words were spewing forth. Tools were covering the bench. And then to get your hand in there with the sand paper and polish those terminals. Grrrrrrrrr. With no slack at all. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Solution. Put Dremel in use. I really hate using a Dremel for anything. They are like having almost a tool. But here the speed control was better than trying to get in there with a 1/4 air grinder etc and risk buggering something. So a little sanding wheel and some light buff and finally...

Job over. It all works and no buggering. Took way longer to do. Took out the 951 for a drive at evening time to enjoy the last cool days in Texas for a while.

Turn on the headlights and the lights pop up. Cool. Then it occurs to me. Wow are those things NOT bright. I was around when these cars came out and I dont remember the lights being this poor.

So a trip to Paragon to order some headlights and more bulbs to just have.

Now I bet the headlight job is a real tooth grinder. But not to worry. This time I am calling my NASA bud over. If you can build a Space Shuttle and rockets I know you can do this little job.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Fintro11
Pro

Changed the starter out ugh low cars are a bitch some times >.< or i need to get skinnier :P
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fintro11
Changed the starter out ugh low cars are a bitch some times >.< or i need to get skinnier :P
Yeah.

Did I complain aboutthat too . Let me complain some more. There is almost no way that I could jack it up high enough and keep the jacks and stands under the car for me to work under there.

If I get the truck jack it wont go under the car. If I get the shorty sports car lift it wont go high enough at maximum lift. At least not high enough that I like it.

I am going to have to get a lift of some kind here.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Fintro11
Pro

in my dp you can see i drive it half way onto the drive way just gives me enough to get my hydraulic jack under the car :P, when parked on even ground i use the car jack crank it up a bit then get the hydaulic jack under it jack it up to max then get another jack on a 4x4 and jack it up more then put jack stands under :P lol
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasRider
On the weekend I thought I would do a quick little 30 minute job and put in light bulbs and clean up the ground mountings on my 951.

Jeebus! Is there anyplace on a 951 that you can get your hands into. After 30 years of motorcycles, motorcycle racing, and Datsuns I have almost every metric tool and wrenches here in the shop. 1/4 inch to 3/4 drive and impacts. Check. Midget wrenches and long patterrn. Open and box. Check. Specials and swivels. Check. More, more,.... check, check,.....

But trying to get my hands in the 951 to do something. Grrrrrrr. Cuss words were spewing forth. Tools were covering the bench. And then to get your hand in there with the sand paper and polish those terminals. Grrrrrrrrr. With no slack at all. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Solution. Put Dremel in use. I really hate using a Dremel for anything. They are like having almost a tool. But here the speed control was better than trying to get in there with a 1/4 air grinder etc and risk buggering something. So a little sanding wheel and some light buff and finally...

Job over. It all works and no buggering. Took way longer to do. Took out the 951 for a drive at evening time to enjoy the last cool days in Texas for a while.

Turn on the headlights and the lights pop up. Cool. Then it occurs to me. Wow are those things NOT bright. I was around when these cars came out and I dont remember the lights being this poor.

So a trip to Paragon to order some headlights and more bulbs to just have.

Now I bet the headlight job is a real tooth grinder. But not to worry. This time I am calling my NASA bud over. If you can build a Space Shuttle and rockets I know you can do this little job.
Ahhhh Datsuns.. Don't you just love being able to change a starter in 3min? Spark plugs too... Oh and wait. the alt only takes a few min more! I still like my Datsuns too!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
jimmerp
Instructor

Broke out the workshop manual and checked all sensor outputs and resistances to address rough idle. O2 was toast.. replaced it then went on a two province road trip. 700km.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

me gotzz some gears in from Europe. .730, 164 mph 5th, and .600, 200 mph 6th.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Yeah.

Did I complain aboutthat too . Let me complain some more. There is almost no way that I could jack it up high enough and keep the jacks and stands under the car for me to work under there.

If I get the truck jack it wont go under the car. If I get the shorty sports car lift it wont go high enough at maximum lift. At least not high enough that I like it.

I am going to have to get a lift of some kind here.

you can stack a pair of staggered, 2 X 8s about 5, 6 feet long. drive stakes into the ground at the end of you're driveway to keep them from slipping. notch out the wood to slip over the stakes. carve them to a smooth incline with a planer or your table saw for the car to run up over. then you'll have plenty of space to go higher with your floor jack.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Pulled the engine.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today