Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 04:44 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 305 Posts

Last edited by sgreer78; 01-23-2023 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:54 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Porsche is no fool and is amazing at marketing, I bet after a few years of the electric Cayman they will do some kind of NA/Turbo variant.
Been thinking this for a while. Create some panic so every cayman is sold out leading up to an electric launch. Take a breather, and either continue it or reintroduce it a year or two later. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:53 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Been thinking this for a while. Create some panic so every cayman is sold out leading up to an electric launch. Take a breather, and either continue it or reintroduce it a year or two later. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Oh that would be an exciting play. Basically Porsche is trying to drum up demand for every single car in the lineup, from the base to the GTS (we already know GT cars have demand regardless). This is smart and I am seeing it already within the 911 model lineup. In the past, people highly desired the GT models while the others were easy pickings. But now even the base 911s are highly sought after with the scarcity Porsche has created.

Remember when AP said they needed to get their investment return on the 4.0? Based on sales numbers in the past, they probably still want to milk that engine ROI for awhile.
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 02:15 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
Remember when AP said they needed to get their investment return on the 4.0? Based on sales numbers in the past, they probably still want to milk that engine ROI for awhile.
I really thought they might use the engine in the new Carrera T, but maybe it was too expensive to have it have a unique engine. Maybe for the facelift car? Would really make it more of an entry level baby GT3 with an n/a motor like that.
The following users liked this post:
brock256 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 02:54 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
I really thought they might use the engine in the new Carrera T, but maybe it was too expensive to have it have a unique engine. Maybe for the facelift car? Would really make it more of an entry level baby GT3 with an n/a motor like that.
Nothing wrong with your thought here, heard a few others mention this wish as well. The 4.0 in the GTS is not really a “unique” engine. It is essentially the 992 base engine with the turbos lobbed off. So in terms of packaging and fit, not an issue.

The .2 generation could be interesting with new technology such as hybridization on one end, and Porsche deciding to add the N/A engine to the 992 on the “bottom” end.

I have no doubt the product team have ran this scenario. As for whether it will be implemented this way, that is anyone’s guess.

I remember listening to the PCA podcast and someone mentioned for every GT3 Porsche sells, it needs to see 3-4 Taycans to offset the carbon emission average. By adding N/A to the 992, that may not bode well.

I’m all for wishful thinking though!
Old 01-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
Nothing wrong with your thought here, heard a few others mention this wish as well. The 4.0 in the GTS is not really a “unique” engine. It is essentially the 992 base engine with the turbos lobbed off.!
Hmmm, not exactly. Aside from bigger bore and stroke and a new crank and other internals, the heads and manifolds are different.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bents
Possibly, but on the flip side I would argue that (unfortunately) most buyers don’t want a track history on their car. I was surprised that one went so high but the previous commenter is also correct. Potential buyers are rooting for and messaging that the market is softening while potential sellers are praying it isn’t. Same as it ever was. It’s hard to draw conclusions across multiple cars because a lot of people are looking for, and willing to pay for, a specific build/colour/history. Or in the case of the yellow one, track mods they now don’t have to do themselves.
It has only 3k miles and a clean DME. The only reason it sold for that price is because it has $20k+ of nearly brand new, functional (not cosmetic) mods. Bone stock that car would have sold around sticker.

I’m neither a buyer or seller at this point, but I do watch the GT4 and Spyder market out of curiosity. It’s not cratering, but the days of $20k over for a used one are over. It’s easy to see if one has been watching cars sitting unsold and sellers repeatedly dropping their prices.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-23-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:24 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think Porsche will be able to go full EV on 718 replacement for MY25. MY25 production/delivery is only 18 months away and the EV version doesn't appear anywhere close to design completion. Supply and logistic is yet another constraint. I read a recent article on Taycan's poor sales that is largely due to chip and battery shortage. Can Porsche really ramp that up to support the production of 20k additional EV Boxster/Cayman in 15 months?

Lastly, even if they could, are there that many early adopters for EV 718 replacements? Most are more eager to get one of the last ICE versions. I am sure some are excited about, but 20k people willing to drop 100k on one in its first MY?
Old 01-24-2023, 03:59 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCarrot
I don't think Porsche will be able to go full EV on 718 replacement for MY25. MY25 production/delivery is only 18 months away and the EV version doesn't appear anywhere close to design completion. Supply and logistic is yet another constraint. I read a recent article on Taycan's poor sales that is largely due to chip and battery shortage. Can Porsche really ramp that up to support the production of 20k additional EV Boxster/Cayman in 15 months?

Lastly, even if they could, are there that many early adopters for EV 718 replacements? Most are more eager to get one of the last ICE versions. I am sure some are excited about, but 20k people willing to drop 100k on one in its first MY?
Preach.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:29 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 800 Posts

Best looking 4RS I've ever seen. Damn.

Sooo many already in the hands of the secondary dealers.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 01-25-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:41 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Best looking 4RS I've ever seen. Damn.

Sooo many already in the hands of the secondary dealers.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Sad, but im sure some enterprising YouTuber will pay.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedCarrot

While they won’t produce 20k units in year 1, Porsche will sell every Cayman EV and Macan EV they can make, assuming they are near the same price point of the current models.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-26-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:25 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While they won’t produce 20k units in year 1, Porsche will sell every Cayman EV and Macan EV they can make, assuming they are near the same price point of the current models.
I have no doubt they will sell many electric Macans. I also have little doubt they will cancel the EV cayman after a couple years. They haven't drummed up any demand, and it's going to be expensive 80-100K. I go the dealer and just shake my head when the GM brings it up, and eventually he does too. They are going to have a devil of a time selling it and im telling you the sales guys and dealers know it, the interest isn't there broadly.

Last edited by tonie90; 01-27-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:39 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

Cancel it in lieu of what? You do understand that global regulations are changing and pushing for electrification over ICE? Porsche has to adhere to these, so an electrified Cayman is going to be the new reality whether you want to believe it or not.

Originally Posted by tonie90
I have no doubt they will sell many electric Macans. I also have little doubt they will cancel the EV cayman after a couple years. They haven't drummed up any demand, and it's going to be expensive 80-100K. I go the dealer and just shake my head when the GM brings it up, and eventually he does too. They are going to have a devil of a time selling it and im telling you the sales guys and dealers know it, the interest isn't there broadly.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:43 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Cancel it in lieu of what? You do understand that global regulations are changing and pushing for electrification over ICE? Porsche has to adhere to these, so an electrified Cayman is going to be the new reality whether you want to believe it or not.
In lieu of nothing. They have the 911, macan, taycan and cayenne. Two electrics, two ice/hyrbrids. they lose money on most panameras and almost all non GT caymans. They are amazing cars (I have one) but not enough to carry they investment cost.

It's also presumptive to think people want these cars, I cant count anyone I know that is looking forward to it (the performance ones, not the daily drivers, grocery getters). I couldn't care less what they do, I personally dont like it, but to your point not my decision.

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale