Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Woah, touchy subject in Porsche being “accessible” lol. Just saying it should be accessible by buying at MSRP and not ADM. Maybe wrong choice of words…

But seems like we all want exclusivity and having something not everyone else can get. I agree with @sin911, for sure Porsche knows the number in order demand and builds less than demand to keep the interest high. For example, buyers are even clamoring for base Carreras just to get a bite of the Porsche pie. This was certainly not the case with previous gen base models.

Last edited by JCZ5; 01-29-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:55 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Do you really think the limiting factor is the demand or Porsche themselves deliberately limiting the production of sought after models? I strongly believe Porsche builds less than demand for most models like GT’s on purpose, rather than building less base models and more GT’s.
Porsche always builds less than demand, by policy. I am not sure this policy holds water in regards to SUVs, but I guess they still want to keep their sports cars very desirable.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:01 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brock256
I don't think that perception holds up. For example, @Lucifer has a thread on here showing that they actually build more GT4s and Spyders than CGTS and BGTS
If dealers and customers order more GT4s and Spyders - there will be more GT4s and Spyders.
And to be honest, there should be.
The GT4 makes much more sense than the Cayman.
And even I, as someone who wanted the Boxster over the Spyder, as the Boxster kinda makes sense in some scenarios, eventually realized that both shouldn't be driven as a daily driver, which in this case - why not go for the more desirable and exotic version?
The difference in price is just not big enough to justify not going for the GT version.
And over time - the GT versions would be substantially less expensive as it will depreciate less.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lucifer:
brock256 (01-29-2023), GTSPYDER23 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 09:31 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by brock256
I don't think that perception holds up. For example, @Lucifer has a thread on here showing that they actually build more GT4s and Spyders than CGTS and BGTS
I was referring to base models (Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman, Cayman S, Carrera, etc.). Don’t consider GTS 4.0 as base model, though at that price point (considering same engine) GT4 and Spyder is naturally more appealing to
most people than GTS 4.0.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:20 AM
Mecheng244
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
If dealers and customers order more GT4s and Spyders - there will be more GT4s and Spyders.
And to be honest, there should be.
The GT4 makes much more sense than the Cayman.
And even I, as someone who wanted the Boxster over the Spyder, as the Boxster kinda makes sense in some scenarios, eventually realized that both shouldn't be driven as a daily driver, which in this case - why not go for the more desirable and exotic version?
The difference in price is just not big enough to justify not going for the GT version.
And over time - the GT versions would be substantially less expensive as it will depreciate less.
i can say for me the $30k difference bewteen a GT4 and the GTS 4.0 i bought was large enough. I like the GT4 and if it weren't for the ADM I probably would of gone for it. But deep down the GTS 4.0 fits my needs more. The GT4 would of course be more exotic and get more looks at C&Cs but doesn't have some of the creature comforts that​​​​​ the 4.0 has and is a little less practical with the harsher ride and lower ground clearance. At the end of the day I am buying the car for me not what appeals to others.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:24 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

Mile for mile the GTS will depreciate less based on % of MSRP as the miles get put on. Higher mileage GT4s seem to take a higher percentage hit than equivalent GTS cars that get driven. The threshold for what’s considered “high mileage” is different for the two vehicles. GT4 buyers seem far more mileage conscious than GTS buyers. That seems to be the case with any GT car though.

Also, a GT4 to my liking would have been around $25-30k more than my GTS. I know that’s nothing to some of you, but that’s a lot to the rest of us.

Originally Posted by Lucifer

Last edited by TXRubicon; 01-30-2023 at 12:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
HelpMeHelpU (01-30-2023), tonie90 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:27 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Wrong. Mile for mile the GTS will depreciate less based on % of MSRP. Higher mileage GT4s seem to take a higher percentage hit than equivalent GTS cars that get driven.
Is that really true? I just sold my "high mile" 2020 8500 mile Spyder for above MSRP while these GTS's are struggling to hit MSRP.
jimdillard (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:28 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

Remember that the GTS market has never been as inflated pricing wise as the GT/Spyder market.

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Is that really true? I just sold my "high mile" 2020 8500 mile Spyder for above MSRP while these GTS's are struggling to hit MSRP.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 01-30-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:34 AM
BDonaher
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Remember that the GTS market has never been as inflated pricing wise as the GT/Spyder market.
But isn’t that kinda a moot point if we are comparing MSRP? You claimed above as a percent of MSRP the GTs depreciate more… but if they are still being sold above list and the GTS isn’t …I’m not sure how that math checks out.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:28 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Mile for mile the GTS will depreciate less based on % of MSRP as the miles get put on. Higher mileage GT4s seem to take a higher percentage hit than equivalent GTS cars that get driven. The threshold for what’s considered “high mileage” is different for the two vehicles. GT4 buyers seem far more mileage conscious than GTS buyers. That seems to be the case with any GT car though.

Also, a GT4 to my liking would have been around $25-30k more than my GTS. I know that’s nothing to some of you, but that’s a lot to the rest of us.
That's true about the mileage. But if you don't drive a lot (my wife and I share a daily and together we do around 6000 miles a year) the GT4 is much cheaper
Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecheng244
i can say for me the $30k difference bewteen a GT4 and the GTS 4.0 i bought was large enough. I like the GT4 and if it weren't for the ADM I probably would of gone for it. But deep down the GTS 4.0 fits my needs more. The GT4 would of course be more exotic and get more looks at C&Cs but doesn't have some of the creature comforts that​​​​​ the 4.0 has and is a little less practical with the harsher ride and lower ground clearance. At the end of the day I am buying the car for me not what appeals to others.
I agree with your introspective choice between what car you truly want. I have a GT4 and although it has been great, now I am on the hunt for a GTS. Based on road driving / road-trips, I feel the GTS is much more suited for my needs. And yes, the creature comforts of 18-way and the higher ground clearance is a welcome change.

The only negative I see with the GTS is not including the short-throw shifter in the GT variant. But that can also be fixed by buying the short shift module via suncoast.
jimdillard (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:27 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 77 Posts

IMO, as a dd there’s little not to love about a GTS. A tad more compliant than a GT with all the growl.
jimdillard (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:47 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,135 Likes on 640 Posts

It's probably not applicable to compare GTS and GT4/Spyder variants in the second hand market. For years it's been essentially unheard of to find a GT4/Spyder allocation at MSRP (I'm sure the lucky few that have gotten one at MSRP will chime in here), while still rare but far more common to find a GTS at MSRP. Case in point, an ADM was a deal breaker for me. I would not pay one; my local dealer could get me a GTS allocation without an ADM, but not a Spyder. I went with the GTS.

This is going to hold true in the used market, as people looking to sell don't want to lose the 15-30k they invested over the MSRP so they'll just hold on to them if they can't get that back. The market will either speak or it won't; I don't imagine we'll start seeing asking prices near MSRP for a GT4/Spyder for quite some time because the people who owned them didn't pay MSRP.

It's logic and science.
jimdillard (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:52 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 142 Posts

I would think those that have the means to buy at "Over market" also have the means to sell it at or below market when they find the next car. the cost / tax of having the new toy for some

Originally Posted by manifold danger
It's probably not applicable to compare GTS and GT4/Spyder variants in the second hand market. For years it's been essentially unheard of to find a GT4/Spyder allocation at MSRP (I'm sure the lucky few that have gotten one at MSRP will chime in here), while still rare but far more common to find a GTS at MSRP. Case in point, an ADM was a deal breaker for me. I would not pay one; my local dealer could get me a GTS allocation without an ADM, but not a Spyder. I went with the GTS.

This is going to hold true in the used market, as people looking to sell don't want to lose the 15-30k they invested over the MSRP so they'll just hold on to them if they can't get that back. The market will either speak or it won't; I don't imagine we'll start seeing asking prices near MSRP for a GT4/Spyder for quite some time because the people who owned them didn't pay MSRP.

It's logic and science.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:33 PM
Secluse
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
I agree with your introspective choice between what car you truly want. I have a GT4 and although it has been great, now I am on the hunt for a GTS. Based on road driving / road-trips, I feel the GTS is much more suited for my needs. And yes, the creature comforts of 18-way and the higher ground clearance is a welcome change.

The only negative I see with the GTS is not including the short-throw shifter in the GT variant. But that can also be fixed by buying the short shift module via suncoast.
I made the same choice - the GT4 was 25k more, came with a higher ADM and dealership games, and the GTS checked my daily driver boxes for a car I want to keep for 7+ years.

Depending on your comfort for aftermarket and tunes, a Cobbs L1 tune completely removes the engine performance delta because, you know, it’s the same engine. I’m fine with paying 80% of the sticker price to get a car that is somewhere between 80-100% of the GT4.

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale