Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 09:49 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
A lot to unpack in that wacky overgeneralization.
If the shoe fits you are the poster boy for over generalization.

Peter
Old 08-24-2023, 04:22 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Would you do PPI on a certified used porsche?
The following users liked this post:
EXFIB (08-27-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 04:43 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
I wouldn't bother with the exception that I would want to see a DME report if manual transmission. I would ask to see the car up in the air, though, so I could look underneath.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:45 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 350 Posts

It's an expensive purchase, and PPI is a good way to help reduce risk at a relatively low cost. But my impression is that the process and checks a Porsche dealer must go through to make it a Porsche CPO car is more rigorous than most independent PPIs would be. And the Porsche CPO warranty is backed by Porsche corporate and valid at any US Porsche dealer.

So I would be comfortable to skip PPI on a Porsche CPO car. But your risk tolerance may be lower than mine.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:54 PM
boss2k
Pro

Originally Posted by 0-Day
It's an expensive purchase, and PPI is a good way to help reduce risk at a relatively low cost. But my impression is that the process and checks a Porsche dealer must go through to make it a Porsche CPO car is more rigorous than most independent PPIs would be. And the Porsche CPO warranty is backed by Porsche corporate and valid at any US Porsche dealer.

So I would be comfortable to skip PPI on a Porsche CPO car. But your risk tolerance may be lower than mine.
The only reason i would go for a PPI is to check if the car is painted or body work done , mechanically i am good with CPO report which is backed by Porsche warranty

Makes sense?
Old 08-24-2023, 05:12 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 157 Posts

I used a paint meter on my CPO car but didn't get an independent PPI. It was enough logistical headache buying a car out of state as it was and figured I was on the safer side with CPO and with how new and few miles the car had. Anything older and out of warranty I would still have it inspected.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:06 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 439 Posts

The only reason i would go for a PPI is to check if the car is painted or body work done , mechanically i am good with CPO report which is backed by Porsche warranty

Makes sense?
Some dealerships are shady, and will do things against Porsche standards. Back in the day I purchased a white 997.1 GT3 with low miles and CPO warranty. Right after I purchased the car (had not put any miles on it) I was detailing it and the paint started coming off, so I did a paint meter test, almost all panels were painted! Called the dealership, they bullsh*tted me saying these cars were ‘painted by hand’, told them the process has been automated for over a decade and called them out on it. They refused to buy it back. Called Porsche NA to let them know and have PNA pressure them to buy it back, PNA told me it was an ‘independent dealership’ and they had no power. I told them the dealership was hurting the brand image, they still did nothing. Got an attorney to sue both the dealership and Porsche, then one day Porsche called to check in if I had resolved the issue, told them I was lawyering up, apparently they called the dealership to pressure them finally and the dealership eventually backed down and bought the car back…

Long story short: CPO means nothing even if it is coming from ‘Porsche’. Make sure you get the paint meter readings.
The following 5 users liked this post by sin911:
boss2k (08-25-2023), brock256 (08-25-2023), Chonson (09-01-2023), Dr.Bill (08-29-2023), EXFIB (08-27-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:24 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Some dealerships are shady, and will do things against Porsche standards. Back in the day I purchased a white 997.1 GT3 with low miles and CPO warranty. Right after I purchased the car (had not put any miles on it) I was detailing it and the paint started coming off, so I did a paint meter test, almost all panels were painted! Called the dealership, they bullsh*tted me saying these cars were ‘painted by hand’, told them the process has been automated for over a decade and called them out on it. They refused to buy it back. Called Porsche NA to let them know and have PNA pressure them to buy it back, PNA told me it was an ‘independent dealership’ and they had no power. I told them the dealership was hurting the brand image, they still did nothing. Got an attorney to sue both the dealership and Porsche, then one day Porsche called to check in if I had resolved the issue, told them I was lawyering up, apparently they called the dealership to pressure them finally and the dealership eventually backed down and bought the car back…

Long story short: CPO means nothing even if it is coming from ‘Porsche’. Make sure you get the paint meter readings.
That's a scary story. That means a full PPI at an independent Porsche shop makes sense. If they can lie about paint, who knows about what else they could be lying.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:34 AM
boss2k
Pro

Omg thats really scary , what should the paint meter readings be for original paint in mils? I have a paint meter.

This car i am looking at is with a Porsche dealership

Last edited by boss2k; 08-25-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:40 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,785 Likes on 872 Posts

That is pretty bad. I had purchased a Lexus GX CPO a few years ago. Once I got it home and the tire shine wore off, I realized the tires were dry rotted. In addition, the distance sensing cruise control was not working right and I noticed it had an aftermarket windshield which made it not work correctly. Not as bad as your paint story but the Lexus dealer put a brand new set of tires and new Lexus windshield and all new sensors and apologized profusely. I guess Porsche needs to step up their game.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:01 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 439 Posts

Omg thats really scary , what should the paint meter readings be for original paint in mils? I have a paint meter.

This car i am looking at is with a Porsche dealership
From what I've seen/read the original paint should be around 4 - 7 mils. Good luck my friend!
boss2k (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:11 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, I'll tell you one way or the other when my 2022 CPO 718 GTS 4.0 gets to me from CA to East TX. In my case the car was sold by an LA Porsche dealer that's owned by a large multi-line owner, but that wasn't why I trusted them. My car has yet to be titled and was a Porsche Digital, company car ran on manufacturer plates with an in-service date of December 2021--has 2519 miles and was purchased by the dealer from PCNA in July. I've seen pictures of the under carriage which is clean as the day it was born, and from all appearances it looks like a clean car, so I bought it without seeing it in person. I couldn't get my cousin who lives an hour away from the dealer to look at it (I politely said, I understand & truthfully I'm disappointed in him). Car is supposed to be picked up by Plycars sometime next week. Waiting anxiously like a 6 year old waiting for Christmas day to get here.

I was more apprehensive wiring that much money (it's a cash purchase) to a Porsche dealership I have no prior relationship with, but I did check them out and called their sales manager and F&I person directly using numbers on their website, to rule out a scammer selling a car they don't have. Had it been a private seller or a non-Porsche dealer no way would I have purchased the vehicle based on pictures, the build sheet and low miles on the odometer. Clean car fax btw. While shopping online I found one in CT for sale by a VW dealer whose ad said Carfax verified 1 owner car--true but CarFax also disclosed it was a lemon law repurchase in CA. That one was a big nope. Make sure the paper trail is clean if you're buying a preowned car, and make your decisions accordingly.
neteng101 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 11:49 PM
PorscheLover1963
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

my dealer sent me the spec to an inbound Boxster GTS 4.0 available at sticker. really nice spec. i'm thinking about having it as a weekend car...
The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheLover1963:
Airbag997 (08-26-2023), neteng101 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 02:35 PM
LeftLane50mph
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheLover1963
my dealer sent me the spec to an inbound Boxster GTS 4.0 available at sticker. really nice spec. i'm thinking about having it as a weekend car...

Airbag997 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 10:43 AM
bpeacock
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 327 Likes on 185 Posts

I have a Cali store of mine with an incoming Spyder, already exited production. Arctic Grey and PDK with 18 ways. They will want an ADM but they'll work with me a bit on it.
(813) 838-8758

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale