Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Fitzpatrick
Mine and passive aggressively. I will leave you to probably contest that it was somehow positive in your mindset, but it does not come across that way to others as mentioned by others in this thread.

Anyways, good luck with your mythical recession Spyders. In history, likely you will at some point, maybe, possibly get there. Hope you have something you are enjoying in the meantime.
Yeah, you read my comment wrong. It wasn’t intended as a negative at all. It was advice to keep the car, as it clearly is worth a lot to you. I haven’t **** on a for sale ad in years. If I wanted to **** on your ad, I simply would have said that your car is overpriced. See, that’s going negative.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-23-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:38 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,779 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
It used to be heavily moderated. I would report posts and they would get deleted. You weren't even supposed to talk about people's prices. I'm not sure what happened but I've seen moderators here more interested in arguing with other members than cleaning up classifieds posts.
Because that is boring as hell. There is a reason why sites like BAT and Cars & Bids allow discussion as it drives traffic and is very educational. I personally love the discussions in marketplace. Granted, if it is all negative it is not helpful but if someone is pricing out of market they won't sell anyway. I find the back and forth valuable as both a buyer and a seller.

The world changes and so should Rennlist if they want to remain relevant.

Last edited by MaddMike; 08-23-2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:40 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
That flip didn’t end well
Wouldn't assume it was a flip for sure - some people just have to have the latest and greatest. Probably saw the Spyder RS announcement drop and just had to have that instead!

In any case - you forgot to include BAT fees, so with that it might be even more they spent for those few miles.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,006 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng101
Wouldn't assume it was a flip for sure - some people just have to have the latest and greatest. Probably saw the Spyder RS announcement drop and just had to have that instead!

In any case - you forgot to include BAT fees, so with that it might be even more they spent for those few miles.
$126,000 was the hammer price that went to the seller, so didn’t forget anything. Seller doesn’t get any of the BAT fees.

I don’t understand your comment with respect to the Spyder RS, no allocations have dropped in the US.

Seller picked up in May, sold in August and only drove it 700 miles. We can speculate on why, but it wasn’t to get an RS. If you wanted an RS you give it back to a dealer below book.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:44 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Hammered home for $126,000…those were expensive miles.

Add in tax and maintenance plan, probably $15K for a couple of months.

That flip didn’t end well
There's a lot of doh with this build Nav with Connect is a waste of money...can you even hear the burmester with the thin tent covering...also after spending all that he skipped PDLS+...also PDK...also black...like this was not a very well thought out spec. Buyer paid 131. I'd rather pay 120 for a 110 msrp in a better color and manual. Generally people say options don't increase value (i'd argue some do...but there's a lot here that doesn't).
Old 08-23-2023, 09:51 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
It used to be heavily moderated. I would report posts and they would get deleted. You weren't even supposed to talk about people's prices. I'm not sure what happened but I've seen moderators here more interested in arguing with other members than cleaning up classifieds posts.
I don't see the harm in pointing out when a car has been listed at an egregious out of touch price point. You post examples of recent sales, and people who are interested in the car also can see what is the market rate. It's like letting people go to dealerships and pay markup on a Camry because the sales guy told them it's so hot right now. That's why sites like leasehackr exist where people cross check each other and offer market pricing making it easier for consumers to benefit and get good deals while the dealer and broker make money too. It's a win-win for everyone.

The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:58 PM
J-Rod
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure the spec of that BAT car didn't help the final sales price. That being said, it closed around ~100% of MSRP (including fees). That brings the average over the last several months on BAT for 718 Spyders to ~ 105% of MSRP (including fees).

Obviously other cars are transacting at different prices (above and below MSRP), but these are sales everyone can see (and compare directly to MSRP). It's not definitively "the market", but to a lot of prospective buyers it's a "representative market."

Old 08-23-2023, 10:07 PM
J-Rod
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPYDER23
exactly, $5k or even $15k won’t change the lives of most folks that buy this level of performance cars. If it does, you shouldn’t be buying it.

with that said, if you really want a car, just buy it. The future price could be more or less, but along the way, buyers miss months or even years of driving some of the very best cars available for the price.
If the $5k shouldn't matter to buyers in this price range, then it should be equally meaningless to sellers in that range, correct? (Perhaps this was implied in your response, but it didn't read that way, so apologies if it was.) Yet somehow $5k prevents a ton of sales at cars in this price range. Heck, Don Fitzpatrick said he passed on a sale because the buyer was $2k too low (FYI, not criticizing Don here, he should sell at whatever price he is willing to).

If a seller doesn't want to sell below a certain price, they don't have to. But insinuating buyers should ignore broader market conditions, and that if they can't/won't they shouldn't buy the car is kind of silly.

Just because I can afford to absorb $30k in depreciation on a car in 1-2 years doesn't mean I want to, or should. Most people who end up with the money to afford these toys didn't get there by taking $30k beatings on a whim.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 438 Posts

Most people who cant buy these cars are in hock and have a hard time getting financing. I would say the people who need affirmation for their purchases are not decision makers but salary drones. Just an observation from an old Farmer.
Decision makers make a decision and act on it ie don't spend time whining on RL about how unfair the buyers or sellers are.
Peter
Old 08-24-2023, 01:19 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I'm sure the spec of that BAT car didn't help the final sales price. That being said, it closed around ~100% of MSRP (including fees). That brings the average over the last several months on BAT for 718 Spyders to ~ 105% of MSRP (including fees).

Obviously other cars are transacting at different prices (above and below MSRP), but these are sales everyone can see (and compare directly to MSRP). It's not definitively "the market", but to a lot of prospective buyers it's a "representative market."
Including fees? Those fees have nothing to do with the car and they don’t accrue to the seller. They are payment for sales services to a third party. Irrelevant to the market value of the car.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:20 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Most people who cant buy these cars are in hock and have a hard time getting financing. I would say the people who need affirmation for their purchases are not decision makers but salary drones. Just an observation from an old Farmer.
Decision makers make a decision and act on it ie don't spend time whining on RL about how unfair the buyers or sellers are.
Peter
A lot to unpack in that wacky overgeneralization.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
josephr25 (08-24-2023), JZ98-993 (08-24-2023), MaddMike (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:29 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Including fees? Those fees have nothing to do with the car and they don’t accrue to the seller. They are payment for sales services to a third party. Irrelevant to the market value of the car.
Its certainly not irrelevant. Market value is set by two parties; what the seller is willing to accepta nd what the buyer is willing to pay. If I can buy the exact same car from somewhere without the BaT 5k Im going to - the market value is what the buyers will pay, and if the BaT markup puts it out of reach its over market, even if the seller is 'at market'

That said, I agree this build has problems. Red interior, PDK, no LED lights, markup for Nav/Burmester, sofas not buckets, etc. I'm sure it fits well for someone looking for a commuter/cruiser, but it isnt the low volume 'driving enthusiast' build that can attract a premium due to rarity (lwbs, manual, led, interesting colour, etc)
BoxKing (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
Its certainly not irrelevant. Market value is set by two parties; what the seller is willing to accepta nd what the buyer is willing to pay. If I can buy the exact same car from somewhere without the BaT 5k Im going to - the market value is what the buyers will pay, and if the BaT markup puts it out of reach its over market, even if the seller is 'at market'
The BaT fee reflects the value added from BaT exposure, comments, and pre-selection. I would say that the market value of a non-BaT car would be somewhere in between the BaT hammer price (HP) + BaT fee and the HP -- much closer, if not equal to the HP.

That said, I agree this build has problems. Red interior, PDK, no LED lights, markup for Nav/Burmester, sofas not buckets, etc. I'm sure it fits well for someone looking for a commuter/cruiser, but it isnt the low volume 'driving enthusiast' build that can attract a premium due to rarity (lwbs, manual, led, interesting colour, etc)
Are LED lights really in such high demand? I heard the xenons are lighter. If so, they'd be more fitting to a lightweight enthusiast build (lwbs, pccb, ...). And how often will a non-daily, backroads enthusiast car be driven at night to make a difference?
brock256 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 09:21 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Are LED lights really in such high demand? I heard the xenons are lighter. If so, they'd be more fitting to a lightweight enthusiast build (lwbs, pccb, ...). And how often will a non-daily, backroads enthusiast car be driven at night to make a difference?
I only really have three sources to determine importance; the number of cars built with certain options, where available to the public, the sentiment of people looking on enthusiast forums, and personal opinion

for the led lights, my opinion, unsubstantiated, is that they’re important - especially on a build speccing for driving. I do not daily my spyder but I do road trip it and drive at night and lights are, for me, a key safety feature. I actually preferred the look of the xenons, but chose pdls+ anyway,

Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

This vehicle is MY23. Depending on production date, some of the options in question weren't even available. Specifically, LWBS, PTS, and PDLS+. Given the low volume of production of the 718 Spyder and GT4 (~2,480 and ~3,208 respectively), the ability to be selective over build spec will begin to wane as people realize this. Statistically there's also a likelihood a prospective buyer's "dream spec" may have never even been produced to be resold given the possibile permutations. I expect there to be some serious compromises if one truly wants one of these cars secondhand.

Last edited by Clark_Kent; 08-24-2023 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale