Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 04:54 PM
blacks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Yes, you can choose exterior DRL (TFL) with side markers on or side markers off. Both settings will illuminate the gauge pointers.
718s Is there any way to turn on the 4 point LED and headlights together?
Old 03-04-2024, 07:04 PM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacks
718s Is there any way to turn on the 4 point LED and headlights together?
Code the following two values in the front BCM from nein/no to ja/yes and let us know if it worked:

Old 03-05-2024, 04:00 AM
blacks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_987
Code the following two values in the front BCM from nein/no to ja/yes and let us know if it worked:

I turned on both values ​​and they are the same
Old 03-09-2024, 08:19 PM
Ken718B
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by blacks
I turned on both values ​​and they are the same
Here is the coding with my x431 to keep the 4 point LEDs on even when the headlights are on. if you are using a PIWIS you will have to translate them to German to try to find them.

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, DD as a marker light = YES {Default: No}

Rear-End Electronics: Exterior lighting parameters: Dimming value for DD lights as marker light = 100 {Default: 6}

Anyone know what the coding that Jonathan_987 provided does?

Edit: I believe the coding provided by Jonathan_987 is to illuminate the instrument gauges even when the headlights are off (aka Scandinavian DRLs).

Last edited by Ken718B; 03-10-2024 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
6IXSPD (03-10-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 05:47 PM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
Anyone know what the coding that Jonathan_987 provided does?

Edit: I believe the coding provided by Jonathan_987 is to illuminate the instrument gauges even when the headlights are off (aka Scandinavian DRLs).
No, it should mean that the daytime running lights are also active when the lights are switched on (at night, etc.). You write something similar, but refer to the rear module. If possible, @blacks should also try coding the rear module accordingly.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:23 PM
Ken718B
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonathan_987
No, it should mean that the daytime running lights are also active when the lights are switched on (at night, etc.). You write something similar, but refer to the rear module. If possible, @blacks should also try coding the rear module accordingly.

I am pretty sure the coding you provided turns on the taillights, light license lights, front side markers and the gauges including the needles even when the lights are off. I don't have a PIWIS so I don't know for sure but the google translate of the codes look similar to the codes on my x431.

I am also pretty sure this coding has no effect on the 4 point leds which is what I believe was what @blacks was looking for.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:52 AM
edub
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Great threat and some very intelligent contributors. Let me share my "wish Porsche did this" to the list....

My Car: 2023 GT4RS
Code Request: Program the rear back up camera to be on Infotainment screen On Demand

My mission is to have the rear facing back up camera be turned on while I'm on track (when going forward). This would assist with added track awareness safety, and add rear facing video when I am video recording my laps from inside the cockpit. Ideally, I could turn it on and off manually with an available button, such as the Sport PDK button which I only use when on track. But I am open to any creative solution which will allow me to use the existing camera and infotainment screen. Several buddies have added a camera and screen, and some have connected a new camera to the existing Infotainment screen. I trying to use the existing OEM camera on the infotainment.
Ah neat idea. I will add it to my list of things to look into when I pickup the car project again.

Based on my past experiences with these sorts of cameras, the camera is always running on a dedicated video input to the dashboard screen. The input is on a video circuit which overlays any other signal on the interior screen whenever the vehicle is put into reverse.

Usually telling the car it is in reverse enables the camera. Both the camera and interior screen have no 'boot time', which is why you can turn the car on and throw it into reverse and always get the camera even if the PCM is still booting up.

All that to say - there may just be a simple wire pair that you need to shunt to ground to allow the backup camera to override anything on the PCM screen.
Mike981S (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:54 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,634 Likes on 2,703 Posts

@edub Just throwing it out there, but I don't think the suggested OEM backup camera would be a good choice for a rear facing road/track camera, it is low quality and points more to the ground then the area you would want to see such as approaching cars.

This appears to be a better approach:

Originally Posted by edsonreds
There is an alternative route you can entertain. The Porsche OEM dashcam that comes already wired in the new modelos 992.1s, can be directly refrofited to the previous platforms. There are OEM instructions and part numbers (connectors) you will need. You can install front and rear camera which will be synced using the Porsche OEM app. Besides, you can integrate it to the Porsche TPA app, which will provide you telemetry directly from the car: brake, acceleration, Gs and the like. It is not a compatible install, but a OEM one, designed to work with your car.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:06 PM
Ken718B
Instructor

Originally Posted by edub
Ah neat idea. I will add it to my list of things to look into when I pickup the car project again.

Based on my past experiences with these sorts of cameras, the camera is always running on a dedicated video input to the dashboard screen. The input is on a video circuit which overlays any other signal on the interior screen whenever the vehicle is put into reverse.

Usually telling the car it is in reverse enables the camera. Both the camera and interior screen have no 'boot time', which is why you can turn the car on and throw it into reverse and always get the camera even if the PCM is still booting up.

All that to say - there may just be a simple wire pair that you need to shunt to ground to allow the backup camera to override anything on the PCM screen.
I did not like the fact that the rear camera on my 718 didn't turn off until I reached 16 kph (or 10 mph) so I lowered it on my car to 5 kph (or 3.1 mph) using the codes below. You could try increasing the speeds in these codes so that the rear camera stays on. I have no idea if this would accomplish what you are trying to do.

Park Assist: Speed thresholds-System switch-off speed = 5 {Default: 16}

Park Assist: Speed thresholds-System switch-off speed display readiness = 5 {Default: 16}

Park Assist: ECU coding data-OPS switch-off speed threshold = 5 {Default: 16}
Mike981S (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 07:50 PM
911x2pilot
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread has been a big help for coding features on my cars. Hopefully the following is helpful for some, as I didn't see it clearly described above (apologies if I missed it).

Disable and enable the daytime running lights (DRLs) via the PCM.

1. Enable the DRL lights menu item in the PCM Settings menus:

In engineering mode:
Kombiinstrument --> Coding programming --> Manual coding without coding rules --> Bordcomputer Menukonfiguration --> Bordcomputer Menukonfiguration: Bordcomputer Menuekonfiguration Byte1 Tagfahrlicht (changed from 'nicht aktiv' to 'aktiv')

After this change, you should see the checkbox menu item in your Settings --> Exterior Lights. Checking it or unchecking will not yet do anything.

2. Change the front end electronics module to allow the DRLs to be turned on or off.

BCM vorne --> Coding programming --> Manual coding without coding rules --> Coding value --> [change the two values identified in the image below] - Coding value: Aussenbeleuchtung TFL Vorschrift from 'ja' to 'nein' and Coding value: Aussenbeleuchtung TFL ueber PCM Kombi aktivierbar from 'nein' to 'ja'

The 'Vorschrift' setting change indicates that the DRLs are not required by regulations. If this isn't changed, this rule would likely prevent any of the other settings from turning the DRLs on or off since the car thinks they are required to be on by law/regulation.
The PCM Kombi setting makes the DRL menu configuration on/off setting activated in step 1 above become actually active (instead of just being a dummy menu setting with no enabling rule).

After setting these, I can turn my DRLs on and off just by checking and unchecking the setting under the Exterior Lights menu.

Last edited by 911x2pilot; 04-01-2024 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Typo fix
The following 4 users liked this post by 911x2pilot:
CaptainSlowly (04-02-2024), fontana302 (04-03-2024), Jonathan_987 (04-04-2024), Ken718B (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:23 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by 911x2pilot
This thread has been a big help for coding features on my cars. Hopefully the following is helpful for some, as I didn't see it clearly described above (apologies if I missed it).

Disable and enable the daytime running lights (DRLs) via the PCM.

1. Enable the DRL lights menu item in the PCM Settings menus:

In engineering mode:
Kombiinstrument --> Coding programming --> Manual coding without coding rules --> Bordcomputer Menukonfiguration --> Bordcomputer Menukonfiguration: Bordcomputer Menuekonfiguration Byte1 Tagfahrlicht (changed from 'nicht aktiv' to 'aktiv')

After this change, you should see the checkbox menu item in your Settings --> Exterior Lights. Checking it or unchecking will not yet do anything.

2. Change the front end electronics module to allow the DRLs to be turned on or off.

BCM vorne --> Coding programming --> Manual coding without coding rules --> Coding value --> [change the two values identified in the image below] - Coding value: Aussenbeleuchtung TFL Vorschrift from 'ja' to 'nein' and Coding value: Aussenbeleuchtung TFL ueber PCM Kombi aktivierbar from 'nein' to 'ja'

The 'Vorschrift' setting change indicates that the DRLs are not required by regulations. If this isn't changed, this rule would likely prevent any of the other settings from turning the DRLs on or off since the car thinks they are required to be on by law/regulation.
The PCM Kombi setting makes the DRL menu configuration on/off setting activated in step 1 above become actually active (instead of just being a dummy menu setting with no enabling rule).

After setting these, I can turn my DRLs on and off just by checking and unchecking the setting under the Exterior Lights menu.
Great find. Someone with 718 should test this 👍
Old 04-02-2024, 10:04 PM
Ken718B
Instructor

Originally Posted by 718socal
Great find. Someone with 718 should test this 👍
Confirmed daytime running lights menu works on my 718
Old 04-02-2024, 10:07 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Confirmed daytime running lights menu works on my 718
Good job with the user guide on 718 forum 👍
Ken718B (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 10:18 PM
Ken718B
Instructor

Originally Posted by 718socal
Good job with the user guide on 718 forum 👍
Thank you. I have done almost everything I set out to do and even somethings that I did not know I wanted to do. The only thing that I have not been able to figure out is how to change the coding to allow the windows to be completely down when I put the top goes down.

Last edited by Ken718B; 04-02-2024 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:45 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I have done almost everything I set out to do and even somethings that I did not know I wanted to do. The only thing that I have not been able to figure out is how to change the coding to allow the windows to be completely down when I put the top goes down.
I don’t know if this is hardcoded somewhere. You have to look at the wiring diagram and see which modules interact with each other. For example the door sensor, door module and BCM’s

Quick Reply: PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request