Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 08:05 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

Anyone re-using the OEM tips have an issue with them being too lose and not tightening up? One OEM tip of mine won't tighten up sufficiently on the Kline.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:17 AM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I replaced the Soul R-OAP's with the Kline SS OAP + section today on my CGTS. I have a VC. Just taken it for a hard fast run for 150kms.

From startup can immediately tell its a different tone. I can see why some may find it too quiet in lower revs. I agree it could be quieter than OEM < 4000RPM with VC closed. The tone is so clear and smooth though with valves open or closed.

Was it worth upgrading from ROAPs to the Kilne? Not sure worth the $ for me personally as the ROAP is great bang-4-buck. That said, I do love the note of the Kline and it likely improve further with some miles. I think if I had gone directly from OEM to Kline I would have been more blown away with the transformation in sound. Perhaps for me the ROAPs gave me 70% of what I was looking for, whilst the Kline gives me 85%

Below summary may help some owners make decisions:
Kline + VC:
- Tone is very different in all rev ranges. I like the way the tone changes and builds higher.
- Volume 6.5/10
- No drone
- Resonance is minimal resonance at 2500 VC open, but I feel that's because I am looking for it due to a previous pain point of mine

R-OAP + VC:
- Same tone as OEM, just cleaner up top.
- Volume 7/10
- No drone
- Resonance minimal at 2500 VC open. Perhaps marginally better than Kline.

OEM + VC:
- Does drone
- Volume 5/10
I think this is really great feedback, and I am basically in the same camp.

The strengths for the Kline exhaust are (in my opinion, at least) vastly improved tone, lack of drone, and slightly more volume than stock above 4K RPM

Aspects about the exhaust that I wish were "better" include more "theatre" and more volume at low revs. In my specific situation, I don't get much in the way of pops or bangs, especially upon deceleration. Given that it's not always possible to rev these cars out to 8K, the character of the exhaust in lower parts of the rev range is more important than I might have realized prior to purchase.

Additionally, and again for me personally, I am not sure the inconel was worth the cost of admission. I wish I had had the chance to listen to a SS equipped car before making my purchasing decision, and that would be my feedback for anyone considering this option. The inconel version is much more expensive, and rightfully so because of the cost of the materials. With that being said, I am just not convinced the experience is consummate with the price of entry.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 10:22 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

I replaced the Soul R-OAP's with the Kline SS OAP + section today on my CGTS. I have a VC. Just taken it for a hard fast run for 150kms.

From startup can immediately tell its a different tone. I can see why some may find it too quiet in lower revs. I agree it could be quieter than OEM < 4000RPM with VC closed. The tone is so clear and smooth though with valves open or closed.

Was it worth upgrading from ROAPs to the Kilne? Not sure worth the $ for me personally as the ROAP is great bang-4-buck. That said, I do love the note of the Kline and it likely improve further with some miles. I think if I had gone directly from OEM to Kline I would have been more blown away with the transformation in sound. Perhaps for me the ROAPs gave me 70% of what I was looking for, whilst the Kline gives me 85%

Kline + VC:
- Tone is very different in all rev ranges. I like the way the tone changes and builds higher.
- Volume 6.5/10
- No drone
- Resonance is minimal resonance at 2500 VC open, but I feel that's because I am looking for it due to a previous pain point of mine

R-OAP + VC:
- Volume 7/10
- No drone

OEM + VC:
- Does drone
- Volume 5/10

Thanks for this update.
I've been sitting in the waiting room, all while ordering all the "must haves" for the incoming car, with the exception of any exhaust mods. After reading this, I feel its best to hold off on Kline system until Im ready to pull the trigger on the full header back, as it doesn't sound like I'd get enough out of it vs. going with just OAP's... No valve controller, OEM back back box will be clamped to full open.

Even though the OAP/Rear box combination from Kline comes in as one of the best priced setups... I'm still finding it increasingly more difficult to turn away from the JCR back box, and or, the OAP/Back box by Kline in Inconel vs. SS.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:12 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
. The inconel version is much more expensive, and rightfully so because of the cost of the materials. With that being said, I am just not convinced the experience is consummate with the price of entry.
Although cost is subjective, the Kline Inconel is absolutely worth the $$ & we have not heard 1 negative feedback. The sound is glorious and 50% weight savings to boot.

Kline has said the optional heat shielding which you decided to add on to the entire oap & exhaust cuts the high pitch sound down quite a bit in the Inconel system.

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 01-11-2023, 11:41 AM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
Although cost is subjective, the Kline Inconel is absolutely worth the $$ & we have not heard 1 negative feedback. The sound is glorious and 50% weight savings to boot.

Kline has said the optional heat shielding which you decided to add on to the entire oap & exhaust cuts the high pitch sound down quite a bit in the Inconel system.
Quite true, Eric - as noted above, these are my personal opinions, so I hope they can help anyone who is considering the system. However, I think we can all agree that any cost approaching $9K is on the expensive side for these cars. Definitely subjective, but this is not a $500 redo.

An additional clarification to the thread at large - Kline did not mention, at the time I added the heat shielding, that this option could impact any of the acoustics or other aspects of the system, or how it might behave. I learned that after the system was purchased and installed on my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmboone25:
Big Belly 711 (01-11-2023), UncleDude (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:45 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

I think this is really great feedback, and I am basically in the same camp.

The strengths for the Kline exhaust are (in my opinion, at least) vastly improved tone, lack of drone, and slightly more volume than stock above 4K RPM

Aspects about the exhaust that I wish were "better" include more "theatre" and more volume at low revs. In my specific situation, I don't get much in the way of pops or bangs, especially upon deceleration. Given that it's not always possible to rev these cars out to 8K, the character of the exhaust in lower parts of the rev range is more important than I might have realized prior to purchase.

Additionally, and again for me personally, I am not sure the inconel was worth the cost of admission. I wish I had had the chance to listen to a SS equipped car before making my purchasing decision, and that would be my feedback for anyone considering this option. The inconel version is much more expensive, and rightfully so because of the cost of the materials. With that being said, I am just not convinced the experience is consummate with the price of entry.
I have full inconel system on my spyder including 200 cell headers , it sounds same if not better than my 992 gt3 with full Kline exhaust and 200 cell headers. Spyder have more pops and bangs than gt3 . The beauty of the Kline system : it’s very livable under normal or modern acceleration and absolutely crazy under heavy acceleration, absol Love it and no drone anywhere (have valves always open )
UncleDude (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:51 AM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Quite true, Eric - as noted above, these are my personal opinions, so I hope they can help anyone who is considering the system. However, I think we can all agree that any cost approaching $9K is on the expensive side for these cars. Definitely subjective, but this is not a $500 redo.

An additional clarification to the thread at large - Kline did not mention, at the time I added the heat shielding, that this option could impact any of the acoustics or other aspects of the system, or how it might behave. I learned that after the system was purchased and installed on my car.
Kline exhaust is not cheapest but it’s the best on the market , specially for 718 platform, they absolutely nail it and if you compare cost of car to cost of exhaust and amount of pleasure and experience comes with it , it’s nothing, also do not forget about resale value, I sold my used exhaust in a couple days with out any problems, and just as example slightly used Soul exhaust for sale (selling for a friend) sits for few month already and no one interested, not even low offers
Old 01-11-2023, 12:39 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Anyone re-using the OEM tips have an issue with them being too lose and not tightening up? One OEM tip of mine won't tighten up sufficiently on the Kline.
Hmm, I had no problems at all using the OEM tips.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:05 PM
voods
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've ordered some SS catless kline headers to pair with my akra OAP and stock muffler. Anyone know if this setup works without droning?
Old 01-11-2023, 02:36 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by voods
I've ordered some SS catless kline headers to pair with my akra OAP and stock muffler. Anyone know if this setup works without droning?
I think most of the anecdotal evidence is that the stock muffler is the drone fighter - I bet you'll be fine (and will need ear plugs!).
voods (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Kline + VC:
- Volume 6.5/10
- No drone

R-OAP + VC:
- Volume 7/10
- No drone

OEM + VC:
- Does drone
- Volume 5/10
Good review and useful feedback for those still trying to decide. For a system that supplies 2 of the 3 exhaust components, the Kline stainless steel value is unmatched as far as I can tell. We've taken similar paths to get to this point, and I'm very glad to hear that the new system doesn't grind on you in that 2000-2500 zone. I hear the same bloom of bass that you do (and we're sensitive to it based on previous experiences), and I can tell you that "listening" for that fades pretty quickly and you'll just go about your business. I had mine up in the mountains last week with the top down and the sound of it screaming off the hills and bouncing back to my ears made me grin like a schoolboy!
RoadrunnerGTS (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 04:40 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Thanks for this update.
I've been sitting in the waiting room, all while ordering all the "must haves" for the incoming car, with the exception of any exhaust mods. After reading this, I feel its best to hold off on Kline system until Im ready to pull the trigger on the full header back, as it doesn't sound like I'd get enough out of it vs. going with just OAP's... No valve controller, OEM back back box will be clamped to full open.

Even though the OAP/Rear box combination from Kline comes in as one of the best priced setups... I'm still finding it increasingly more difficult to turn away from the JCR back box, and or, the OAP/Back box by Kline in Inconel vs. SS.
Only drone free setups I have experienced are ROAPs or Kline. I have tried many options and if I did it again I'd just go straight to Kline. The Kline is about quality of sound, not volume.
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
BoxKing (01-11-2023), K-Nut (01-11-2023), UncleDude (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 05:22 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Not normal at all. You are on an email now. We will be sending another muffler out. Something up here and we want to make it perfect.
The following 2 users liked this post by SupremePower:
josephr25 (01-11-2023), K-Nut (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 05:30 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

Only drone free setups I have experienced are ROAPs or Kline. I have tried many options and if I did it again I'd just go straight to Kline. The Kline is about quality of sound, not volume.
(Aftermarket) OAP’s 2K
Kline OAP/Rear Box 5K +/- (This makes the most financial sense.)

At the end of the day my choice will most likely be with the Kline setup, and I’ll add their headers later on down the road if I need more music in my ears (85% chance). This thread has been very informative, and most likely steered me in a better direction than my original quest had taken me.

Now if I can only find someone locally that has this setup, so I an hear it in person…..
Old 01-11-2023, 06:08 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Kline setup delivered the best pleasant sound for all ranges in DD or track days... any DECIBEL above is ear pain.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust