Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 10:34 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra

So this is the trick?
Ya, that’s as far as you can go, here’s how much that leaves it open. I can’t hear them close when I take off, and often now just leave PSE off.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:14 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 672 Posts

That’s about where I have them and it’s perfect. Get the Kline headers as that helps eliminate drone further.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:59 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Has anyone fitted the Fabspeed 200 cell modular headers to the Kline OAPs? Is the fit tidy? Any issues? In theory it should be no problem but great if someone has actually done this.

I like the idea of the Fabspeed headers being in two sections so if the cat goes south then you don't need to replace the whole header, only the cat portion.

While I'm at it... anyone done a 200 cell catted header + resonated OAP + OEM backbox? I am waffling between:

1. Fabspeed 200 cell header + Kline OAP + Kline backbox (+ valve controller)

2. Fabspeed 200 cell header + Fabspeed resonated OAP + OEM backbox (+ valve controller)

There doesn't seem to be any instances of #2 out there. Closest is Matt Farah's Spyder but he's got the DeMan engine obviously (and his OAPs are not resonated) so I can't rely on that as an indication. I like that sound though, that thrashing dive bombing Spitfire fighter plane type chaos. Though the Kline setup seems to be a good blend of ragged and smooth, which I also like.

Last edited by Jim Rockford; 11-25-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:55 PM
JKen_0115
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Fellows, thanks for all your sharing and real world experience on this Kline system. I just placed an order on Inconel version tonight before BF sale gone. Eric from Supreme is so easy to deal with and super responsive for all my requests in past few days.

I guess I will keep watching the video before it arrives. Appreciate your great help! BTW, this is going to replace my current Akra OAP and OEM rear section. I will keep the OEM header with Kline Inconel together.

Thanks again Eric @SupremePower for all the help and suggestions.

Last edited by JKen_0115; 11-26-2023 at 11:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JKen_0115:
MrFunk (12-01-2023), SupremePower (11-30-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 12:38 AM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Anyone know what sound level this system hits for db limited tracks?

Last edited by GoodRevrnd; 11-27-2023 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:53 AM
stmblaster
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A question for those with the Inconel system (or maybe SS too?): I have the 200cell downpipes, oap and backbox and now that Europe is in the cold season, the exhaust sounds somewhat "farty" (wish I had a better word for it) and slightly raspy when cold. Even after the engine is at optimal running temperature, the exhaust still has too many burbles / "farty" tone when decelerating/accelerating hard (sounds as if exhaust gases are escaping at the connection points, but I highly doubt it is the case).

After pushing it for around 5 minutes and with the exhaust really heated up, everything annoying goes away and a very clean motorsport sound comes on with fewer burbles and a very nice clean metallic wail (absolutely superb). This is the sound that I was chasing before I bought the exhaust.

Has anyone found the same with theirs? Or maybe other exhausts? Or maybe found other exhausts that sound "clean"?

Last edited by stmblaster; 11-27-2023 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:33 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 441 Posts

Here's actually one of the best videos I've found of the Kline Exhaust. The audio is excellent... I only just caught/realized the reviewer mention it's a Kline exhaust in his intro (with valve controller).
What I like about this vid is that you can get a feel for the exhaust in many different driving situations... cruise, WOT, etc...
With valves open fully (with the controller) - at the 8:00 mark in the vid - 7th gear - 2.5k rpm cruise - I'd find that a bit tiring on a long drive. (But of course you can close the valves in that situation.)

Last edited by MrFunk; 11-27-2023 at 11:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MrFunk:
LooseNut (11-27-2023), mc3456 (11-28-2023), subwoofer (11-27-2023), tigerhonaker (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 11:43 AM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Kline Innovation Inconel Exhaust Review

Quick summary: Very happy with the result. Has drone similar to OEM.

Reason for new exhaust: I was looking for improved quality of sound more than just being louder. In my opinion the 982 4.0 with OPF has a flat tone. With PSE valves open, basically, only 3 cylinders are heard from each tail pipe which isn’t that good sounding. I love thepreviousgeneration 3.8- & 4.0-liter NA exhaust sound. Going forward I wanted to remove the OPFs and have all 6-cylinder pulses coming out of both tailpipes, with PSE valves open or closed.

Why I chose Kline:
BC Fab, JCR, Soul and Kline all seem to meet my criteria of combining exhaust pulses from both banks of the engine. They all look to have high quality construction also.
I prefer the straight through, valve open path, of the Kline over axle pipes. In addition, the Kline valves closed path has extra absorption in the OAPs. (Because Kline switches the valve open path to be on top, you do have to buy the OAPs and muffler together.)
As a bonus the Kline system cost less than the other brands when combining OAPs & muffler.
Reportedly SS is slightly quieter than Inconel and is less expensive, both of which are OK for me.
After listening to and watching a ridiculous number of videos online, and reading this entire thread, I decided on a stainless-steel Kline system.
Well, best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men. An Inconel system came available at a price I could not pass up.

I want to thank Eric from Supreme Power for answering my questions and supporting the community.

Car configuration:

2021 Cayman GT4 with PDK. Kline Inconel exhaust with Inconel button valve controller.

3250 miles driven with OEM exhaust and 4700 miles with Kline exhaust. (7950 total miles as of Nov19, 2023)

My impressions:
Start up there is a definite crackle that settles down nicely to idle. Valves open or closed it is louder than OEM from outside the car but not annoying.
Driving around town, from inside the car the sound does not seem louder than OEM but has an improved tone. The improved sound quality is more noticeable with the valves open.
Higher RPM, valves open or closed, is louder but again, the valves open sound is much improved. High RPM up shifts do bark a bit.
With the valves forced open and in PDK sport mode, during hard decel, the exhaust surprised me the first few times. Now I just giggle. This is not a bad thing but may draw attention.
I like having the exhaust valves because with them closed you can use a majority of the RPM without bringing attention to yourself.
Valves open during spirited driving does have an exotic howl fitting for a GT car.
Drone is noticeable from about 2200 to 3k RPM when the windows are closed and cruising or very light acceleration. The OEM exhaust had the same drone for me. With the windows open I don’t notice any drone at all. I did a long road trip with the OEM exhaust and my ears were tired of the drone after two days. Highway speeds with cruise control on puts you in the drone range. I’m not complaining and did not buy this car as a highway cruiser. I am just trying to give as much info as possible for any potential buyers. Downshifting a gear or adjusting your speed is another way to avoid the drone.

Improvement opportunities: (AKA problems)

One OEM exhaust tip needed a shim to the Kline pipe to tighten it.

The Kline exhaust valve shafts touched the OEM heat shields. A little messaging of the heat shield fixed this.

(I was aware of both these items from reading this thread before I decided to buy.)

Would do different: Add heat shields to the over axle pipes. Although the car may be fine without them there is no downside besides cost. The rear brake hoses and struts are close to the OAPs and heat aging is cumulative.

Opportunity: If someone would like an Inconel system for the price of stainless-steel send me a PM. I would trade / sell my Inconel system for a stainless-steel system with heat shield on the OAPs.
The following 3 users liked this post by LooseNut:
MrFunk (11-27-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (11-27-2023), tigerhonaker (11-28-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 03:24 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut

Opportunity: If someone would like an Inconel system for the price of stainless-steel send me a PM. I would trade / sell my Inconel system for a stainless-steel system with heat shield on the OAPs.
I'm sure that Kline will make you a set of shielded OAP's, or I saw that you can also send them your current OAP's for shielding. Alternatively, get them JetHot coated, although I still believe heat shield is best.

I'm enjoying my Kline even more with shorter gearing combo. I get to hear those higher rev range tones more often, as I find myself always over 5500 on B-road runs.
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 03:33 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,385 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut
Quick summary: Very happy with the result. Has drone similar to OEM.

Reason for new exhaust: I was looking for improved quality of sound more than just being louder. In my opinion the 982 4.0 with OPF has a flat tone. With PSE valves open, basically, only 3 cylinders are heard from each tail pipe which isn’t that good sounding. I love thepreviousgeneration 3.8- & 4.0-liter NA exhaust sound. Going forward I wanted to remove the OPFs and have all 6-cylinder pulses coming out of both tailpipes, with PSE valves open or closed.

Why I chose Kline:
BC Fab, JCR, Soul and Kline all seem to meet my criteria of combining exhaust pulses from both banks of the engine. They all look to have high quality construction also.
I prefer the straight through, valve open path, of the Kline over axle pipes. In addition, the Kline valves closed path has extra absorption in the OAPs. (Because Kline switches the valve open path to be on top, you do have to buy the OAPs and muffler together.)
As a bonus the Kline system cost less than the other brands when combining OAPs & muffler.
Reportedly SS is slightly quieter than Inconel and is less expensive, both of which are OK for me.
After listening to and watching a ridiculous number of videos online, and reading this entire thread, I decided on a stainless-steel Kline system.
Well, best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men. An Inconel system came available at a price I could not pass up.

I want to thank Eric from Supreme Power for answering my questions and supporting the community.

Car configuration:

2021 Cayman GT4 with PDK. Kline Inconel exhaust with Inconel button valve controller.

3250 miles driven with OEM exhaust and 4700 miles with Kline exhaust. (7950 total miles as of Nov19, 2023)

My impressions:
Start up there is a definite crackle that settles down nicely to idle. Valves open or closed it is louder than OEM from outside the car but not annoying.
Driving around town, from inside the car the sound does not seem louder than OEM but has an improved tone. The improved sound quality is more noticeable with the valves open.
Higher RPM, valves open or closed, is louder but again, the valves open sound is much improved. High RPM up shifts do bark a bit.
With the valves forced open and in PDK sport mode, during hard decel, the exhaust surprised me the first few times. Now I just giggle. This is not a bad thing but may draw attention.
I like having the exhaust valves because with them closed you can use a majority of the RPM without bringing attention to yourself.
Valves open during spirited driving does have an exotic howl fitting for a GT car.
Drone is noticeable from about 2200 to 3k RPM when the windows are closed and cruising or very light acceleration. The OEM exhaust had the same drone for me. With the windows open I don’t notice any drone at all. I did a long road trip with the OEM exhaust and my ears were tired of the drone after two days. Highway speeds with cruise control on puts you in the drone range. I’m not complaining and did not buy this car as a highway cruiser. I am just trying to give as much info as possible for any potential buyers. Downshifting a gear or adjusting your speed is another way to avoid the drone.

Improvement opportunities: (AKA problems)

One OEM exhaust tip needed a shim to the Kline pipe to tighten it.

The Kline exhaust valve shafts touched the OEM heat shields. A little messaging of the heat shield fixed this.

(I was aware of both these items from reading this thread before I decided to buy.)

Would do different: Add heat shields to the over axle pipes. Although the car may be fine without them there is no downside besides cost. The rear brake hoses and struts are close to the OAPs and heat aging is cumulative.

can send your oap in for heat shielding if you like. Reach out to us we can help you

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

LooseNut (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 05:04 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 340 Posts

[QUOTE=MrFunk;19134645]Here's actually one of the best videos I've found of the Kline Exhaust. The audio is excellent... I only just caught/realized the reviewer mention it's a Kline exhaust in his intro (with valve controller).
What I like about this vid is that you can get a feel for the exhaust in many different driving situations... cruise, WOT, etc...
With valves open fully (with the controller) - at the 8:00 mark in the vid - 7th gear - 2.5k rpm cruise - I'd find that a bit tiring on a long drive. (But of course you can close the valves in that situation.)
/QUOTE]

I agree that it is drony in the 2-2.5k rpm range. I don't like that.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:54 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=AnandN;19135371]
Originally Posted by MrFunk
Here's actually one of the best videos I've found of the Kline Exhaust. The audio is excellent... I only just caught/realized the reviewer mention it's a Kline exhaust in his intro (with valve controller).
/QUOTE]

I agree that it is drony in the 2-2.5k rpm range. I don't like that.
I've mentioned the 2-2.5k drone before, I'd like to add some comments about it now that i have well over 1k miles on my collar modded exhaust:

- More noticeable with top down, but with top up, at highway speeds, the drone is in the realm of not noticable over wind/tire noise.
- In general, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a standard OEM exhaust with no drone vs a 10 being the droniest aftermarket exhaust you've ever sat in, this is a 2.5 on that scale. I imagine with the valves closed this will go to a 1.
- It is purely sound; no vibrations or anything, and it's not super unpleasant compared to other droney aftermarket exhausts.

It is worth mentioning, but not much more. If you are extremely sensitive to drone to the point of this being a dealbreaker, you probably shouldn't be looking at an aftermarket solution as you have to expect something. It's very livable! Hope this helps.

Last edited by justince; 11-27-2023 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by justince:
LoodorneGT4 (11-27-2023), subwoofer (11-28-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 06:24 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 441 Posts

I wouldn't define drone as sound by any means.
For me - drone is better defined as "boominess".
Based on reviews - I'm not surprised there's some "boominess" at those RPM's with the valves 100% open...
I'd guess with either full OEM Valve operation or with valve collars in a conservative position, this "boominess" would be mostly eliminated.
dmboone25 (11-28-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 08:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I wouldn't define drone as sound by any means.
For me - drone is better defined as "boominess".
Based on reviews - I'm not surprised there's some "boominess" at those RPM's with the valves 100% open...
I'd guess with either full OEM Valve operation or with valve collars in a conservative position, this "boominess" would be mostly eliminated.
I’ve heard real boominess with the Soul rear section, and I’m very familiar with stock. Kline with the collar mod in the conservative spot has zero boom - zero for this set of ears and i’m a picky **** when it comes to that sound. In truth, with this system, we’re splitting hairs. I can’t see anyone not liking this system or being satisfied with it as legitimate alternative to stock - with no “drive around it” compromises.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
BoxKing (11-27-2023), mc3456 (11-29-2023), MrFunk (12-01-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 09:15 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 100 Posts

Tried the collars in a few positions and ultimately ended up purchasing a cargraphic valve controller (thanks to @SupremePower for the great price!). I'll be leaving it full open for about 90% of the time but want the option to make it as quiet as possible for the freeway and longer road trips with the wife.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust