Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023 | 06:29 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
Kline setup delivered the best pleasant sound for all ranges in DD or track days... any DECIBEL above is ear pain.
The sound in city driving and startup is fantastic too which makes for a good DD. Over 5000 is excellent. The whole rev range has great metallic note to it. Car just feels a bit more exotic sounding.
The following users liked this post:
Big Belly 711 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023 | 06:37 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
The sound in city driving and startup is fantastic too which makes for a good DD. Over 5000 is excellent. The whole rev range has great metallic note to it. Car just feels a bit more exotic sounding.
Yes!

Did you check the outside diameter of the muffler at for the one that's a problem? Just curious if it is different than the one that fits well. Also I think Jeff Jones said he really had to crank his to keep it tight.

Last edited by UncleDude; 01-11-2023 at 06:58 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 01-12-2023 | 10:16 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmboone25
The strengths for the Kline exhaust are (in my opinion, at least) vastly improved tone, lack of drone, and slightly more volume than stock above 4K RPM
Agreed, I think moderately more volume above 4k. Not obnoxious, but definitely very noticeable. For me, vastly improved tone and specialness. I love it.

Originally Posted by dmboone25
more "theatre" and more volume at low revs.
For me, I actually love the low-rev sound as is as well. I agree that it is not loud or theatrical, but I want that when driving around suburban neighborhoods on Sunday mornings. I do think that below 4k, vs stock or stock+valve controller, it sounds much more smooth, refined, and special. Its got a slightly higher pitch even at low RPMs. Immediately after I installed it, while I was waiting for the oil to warm up below 4k, I felt it was very different and more exotic. But, I agree with you, if you are looking for theatrics below 4k, maybe you want the headers, or maybe more of a race exhaust.
Old 01-12-2023 | 07:01 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

For those that have the 200 Cell Headers, have you noticed any yellowing/black residue on the rear bumper?
I know this can happen with open headers, which would be a huge NO GO for me if the 200 Cell version has the chance to do the same.
Old 01-12-2023 | 08:55 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
For those that have the 200 Cell Headers, have you noticed any yellowing/black residue on the rear bumper?
I know this can happen with open headers, which would be a huge NO GO for me if the 200 Cell version has the chance to do the same.
I have the Kline 200 cell headers and have never noticed any black dust or yellowing? How or why would this happen? Are you thinking sulfur deposits? I don’t think this is an issue…

Last edited by dnimi123; 01-12-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2023 | 09:31 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
I have the Kline 200 cell headers and have never noticed any black dust or yellowing? How or why would this happen? Are you thinking sulfur deposits? I don’t think this is an issue…
Its a fairly common issue on cars with cat-deletes. I caught it early enough on my F82 (Alpine White) with full cat-deletes (primary/secondary), I was able to polish it out, followed up by doing a full correction to the car w/ceramic and the problem never returned. My thought is this could be an issue if/when I opt for the headers, as the cell counts are less than OEM Headers, and paired with the Kline OAP/Back box combine for even less filtering.

Im not sure what the yellowing/black soot is comprised of, though I think the additional heat given off with a less restrictive exhaust system only aids in these things being baked into the bumper. All I know is they can be damn near impossible to polish out if not corrected in time.

Yellowing - possibly heat related??
Blackening above the exhaust tips is definitely from deposits passing through a less restricted filter.
dnimi123 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023 | 10:28 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Its a fairly common issue on cars with cat-deletes. I caught it early enough on my F82 (Alpine White) with full cat-deletes (primary/secondary), I was able to polish it out, followed up by doing a full correction to the car w/ceramic and the problem never returned. My thought is this could be an issue if/when I opt for the headers, as the cell counts are less than OEM Headers, and paired with the Kline OAP/Back box combine for even less filtering.
I can see it being a problem with cat deletes as you have all the unburnt hydrocarbons coming straight out the back.

By the way, a 200 cel cat doesn't necessarily mean dirtier emissions. Many of them are CARB compliment, which is hard to do. I'm not sure about the Kline. I have it on my SB and I haven't noticed anything.
Old 01-13-2023 | 12:36 AM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

All this talk makes me want the 200cel headers, damnit. Especially the comments about it not being loud enough down low with the OAPs/backbox setup.
dnimi123 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 01:00 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
All this talk makes me want the 200cel headers, damnit. Especially the comments about it not being loud enough down low with the OAPs/backbox setup.
It is pretty subjective - I would recommend starting with the base system and living with it for a while, especially if you don’t even have the car yet. IMO it is a very balanced system with 2 of the 3 pieces being changed. I would not want anything more!

Last edited by UncleDude; 01-13-2023 at 01:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
6IXSPD (01-13-2023), LoodorneGT4 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 09:06 AM
Growler48
Instructor

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else with the stainless OAPs and backbox noticed that the exhaust sound from inside the car sounds a little "muffled" instead of "raw" at lower RPMs? No problems at higher RPMs.

Other people talk about no drone, but I get some around 2,500 RPMs.

I'm really on the fence with the headers. I want the raw sound, no drone and maybe a little more volume, but don't know if I'll get all 3 and if it's worth the extra $3,500+. I also don't want to push the volume too far in the wrong direction. If anyone in the DC/MD area with a full system is willing to let me listen to it, please let me know.
Old 01-13-2023 | 01:10 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
It is pretty subjective - I would recommend starting with the base system and living with it for a while, especially if you don’t even have the car yet. IMO it is a very balanced system with 2 of the 3 pieces being changed. I would not want anything more!
I'm trying my best not to get ahead of myself

...and failing spectacularly.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6IXSPD:
kwikit356 (02-05-2023), UncleDude (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 01:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Growler48
Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else with the stainless OAPs and backbox noticed that the exhaust sound from inside the car sounds a little "muffled" instead of "raw" at lower RPMs? No problems at higher RPMs.

I'm really on the fence with the headers. I want the raw sound, no drone and maybe a little more volume, but don't know if I'll get all 3 and if it's worth the extra $3,500+. I also don't want to push the volume too far in the wrong direction. If anyone in the DC/MD area with a full system is willing to let me listen to it, please let me know.
With the top up and valves closed ya it isn't going to sound "raw", I mean the sound has to travel through the muffler(s) and through your fairly well insulated top. What exactly are you hearing at 2500 RPM?
Old 01-13-2023 | 03:30 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Growler48

I definitely don't have drone at 2500rpm. There is some very slight resonance there, but certainly not something I notice unless I am trying to find it. It is not an issue and certainly less in that range than OEM + VC. I am CGTS with Kline SS OAP+Rear, so Spyder may be different.
Old 01-13-2023 | 03:34 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

+1, not drone...it's resonance. didn't know what drone mean until I tried some other setups and they were brain-damaged. lol
Old 01-13-2023 | 08:54 PM
Growler48
Instructor

Originally Posted by UncleDude
With the top up and valves closed ya it isn't going to sound "raw", I mean the sound has to travel through the muffler(s) and through your fairly well insulated top. What exactly are you hearing at 2500 RPM?
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I definitely don't have drone at 2500rpm. There is some very slight resonance there, but certainly not something I notice unless I am trying to find it. It is not an issue and certainly less in that range than OEM + VC. I am CGTS with Kline SS OAP+Rear, so Spyder may be different.
Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
+1, not drone...it's resonance. didn't know what drone mean until I tried some other setups and they were brain-damaged. lol
Mine is a Boxster GTS and I should've mentioned that the "muffled" sound is with the valves open and top up or down. It's only below about 5K RPMs when not really getting on it or at a steady speed. Over blipping while heel/toeing downshifts sounds amazing! and so is the sound above 5K RPMs! Really, it's just the sound below 5K that I think could use some improvement. It's really not that big of a deal, but it is noticeable, to me, which is why I'm having a hard time justifying the headers. I would like to hear somebody else's full system before actually committing to the headers, though.

Good point on the resonance. Maybe that's what it is and not drone. I'm not sure, but just assumed it was drone. Around 2,500 RPMs, there is a distinctly louder tone coming from the exhaust that can be pretty annoying if cruising at that RPM, top up or down. That's about the only time I like to close my valves.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust