Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 12:26 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
I drove my Spyder quite a bit this weekend, and now have roughly ~300 miles on the Kline exhaust.

It's great system. I honestly think the 4-6K sound is just as nice as the 8K redline pulls, which is great because the midrange is where I spend a lot of time in my day to day driving.

The more I drive it, the better it sounds - I am starting to get acclimated to how it sounds in different gears, RPMs, and throttle applications. Going to try and make a video over the holiday break to try and show some of the other aspects of the system, similar to what @UncleDude has done.
I look forward to your video!

I got out again today for about a half an hour and just enjoyed the sounds top down. I’m still getting used to it as well, in the different ranges as you say, and I agree it sound great mid range and really does scream full throttle. I noticed a bit more sound on lift of today (burbles, barks etc). The level of enjoyment this upgrade adds to driving can’t be overstated.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
flynlo (12-12-2022), K-Nut (12-12-2022), SupremePower (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 12:09 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I look forward to your video!

I got out again today for about a half an hour and just enjoyed the sounds top down. I’m still getting used to it as well, in the different ranges as you say, and I agree it sound great mid range and really does scream full throttle. I noticed a bit more sound on lift of today (burbles, barks etc). The level of enjoyment this upgrade adds to driving can’t be overstated.
We are so glad you are enjoying this. I know it took awhile to choose and glad to have helped! Keep motoring! =)

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following 2 users liked this post by SupremePower:
flynlo (12-14-2022), UncleDude (12-12-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:36 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

The following 5 users liked this post by incursion:
Growler48 (12-14-2022), MechEngr1287 (12-15-2022), Montaver (02-27-2023), revcon (12-16-2022), UncleDude (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 11:23 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
I know that sound 😎. Nice video!

Last edited by UncleDude; 12-14-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:19 AM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Here’s one more, same setup PSE on no valve controller and just higher in the RPM range where the valves open. I think up top it is louder than stock but not by much (but the sound is obviously way better) and valves closed very close to stock I think. Great system - OEM quality.

https://youtu.be/e-CGOaIGH08
Fellow Canadian here. You got some snow on the mild side of the country!

Thanks for the video. Very helpful for those of us trying to figure out our way from stock. I actually like stock with a VC but want more of everything, more volume and more exotic.

The following users liked this post:
F1Live (02-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2022, 12:45 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kristob
Fellow Canadian here. You got some snow on the mild side of the country!

Thanks for the video. Very helpful for those of us trying to figure out our way from stock. I actually like stock with a VC but want more of everything, more volume and more exotic.
I'm glad you found it useful. When I got the GTS (now have the spyder) I didn't' really think the exhaust tone would be important to me but I think it is / was all wrapped up in the dream of owning one of these machines. For the most part I like the stock system as well, I like the blend of the exhaust and the induction sounds. When the stock system opens up though, that's where I feel it is a bit of a let down. My goals were basically the same as yours, on top of being pretty sensitive to negative resonances / boomy sounds. That's why I did that video, to show how civil it is when you're just puttering around town.

I have been driving it more spiritedly lately and it is pretty exciting up top, as you can see by @incursion 's video above. So far I haven't really minded the stock valve operation, but I think I will add the controller. Now that I've lived with it a while, the valves closed sound is a bit louder than stock with more character, and I do think valves open it is louder than stock (more than I initially thought, but perhaps the system just needed a few heat cycles to open up, or my ears needed to). Yesterday I did an hour drive in the car for errands with a mix of highway and city driving, just blending in with traffic, and it was great. I think it has its own tone signature, different from some of the super light x-pipe designs in titanium, but very pleasing to my ear. And then there is the value - big time value (still a lot of money don't get me wrong) but add up a OAP + Rear section from other suppliers and you'll see that some of those combinations are thousands of dollars more, some literally double the price.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
K-Nut (12-17-2022), kristob (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:15 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

I'm glad you found it useful. When I got the GTS (now have the spyder) I didn't' really think the exhaust tone would be important to me but I think it is / was all wrapped up in the dream of owning one of these machines. For the most part I like the stock system as well, I like the blend of the exhaust and the induction sounds. When the stock system opens up though, that's where I feel it is a bit of a let down. My goals were basically the same as yours, on top of being pretty sensitive to negative resonances / boomy sounds. That's why I did that video, to show how civil it is when you're just puttering around town.

I have been driving it more spiritedly lately and it is pretty exciting up top, as you can see by @incursion 's video above. So far I haven't really minded the stock valve operation, but I think I will add the controller. Now that I've lived with it a while, the valves closed sound is a bit louder than stock with more character, and I do think valves open it is louder than stock (more than I initially thought, but perhaps the system just needed a few heat cycles to open up, or my ears needed to). Yesterday I did an hour drive in the car for errands with a mix of highway and city driving, just blending in with traffic, and it was great. I think it has its own tone signature, different from some of the super light x-pipe designs in titanium, but very pleasing to my ear. And then there is the value - big time value (still a lot of money don't get me wrong) but add up a OAP + Rear section from other suppliers and you'll see that some of those combinations are thousands of dollars more, some literally double the price.
I shouldn't have looked at your videos

Question, the Kline OAPs are just resonators, blank or filtered?
UncleDude (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:24 PM
ariazad
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Kline for sale

I hope this isn’t against any forum rules or etiquette but here is the link to my Kline Inconel 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder exhaust system at a significant discount from new currently in marketplace.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1327898
asahione (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:36 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ariazad
I hope this isn’t against any forum rules or etiquette but here is the link to my Kline Inconel 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder exhaust system at a significant discount from new currently in marketplace.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1327898
may I ask why you are selling?
asahione (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:37 PM
ariazad
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
may I ask why you are selling?
selling the car so returning it back to stock. That’s all. I’m a HUGE fan of the Kline Inconel package on this platform! Here is my cars ad:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1327903
SupremePower (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:45 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
I shouldn't have looked at your videos

Question, the Kline OAPs are just resonators, blank or filtered?
You’re in trouble lol…… those resonator link pipes are the key I think. As far as I can tell, there are two chambers of perforated pipe, partially connected to each other. Valves open the air goes straight through / past the lower chamber, valves closed the gasses come from the upper chamber and are forced into the lower chamber then into the muffler then the x-pipe. I’m sure valves open everything is working together as well. IMO it seems they tuned those side cans to kill *just* enough of that boomy resonance so it doesn’t bother you. I’m sure it is a balance of that, volume and tone. Like I said, I’m in the sensitive to resonance camp and I’m very happy.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:55 PM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

I like the VC. I have the Soul version. My view is you need it to get anything out of stock down low. It’s silent without it until 3.5k or so. I leave it open everywhere except for highway where I revert to stock valve operation to limit drone. I can only see it as a benefit on the Kline where it will allow you to tune your sound for tooling around town. You’re right that @incursion vid sells the Kline up high. I see an Xmas present coming from me to me
UncleDude (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 09:39 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Here’s a few pics of the OAP with a flashlight shining in the valves open path and a crude diagram I made. Pretty nice piece of design work, and I’ve said it before they were wise to design both pieces together.

The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Big Belly 711 (12-15-2022), LooseNut (05-14-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 09:47 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Here’s a few pics of the OAP with a flashlight shining in the valves open path and a crude diagram I made. Pretty nice piece of design work, and I’ve said it before they were wise to design both pieces together.

Thanks for these pix, they are awesome. The diameter of the closed path looks smaller, did you measure it by any chance ?
Old 12-15-2022, 09:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
Thanks for these pix, they are awesome. The diameter of the closed path looks smaller, did you measure it by any chance ?
It is smaller, I didn’t measure but could next time I’m under there. Smaller pipe speeds the gasses up - less resonance (is my understanding).

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust