Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 08:12 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
I'm contemplating just hacking out the OPF on mine, however am unsure if they have sensors in there which might throw a CEL.
I suspect you have seen the below thread . . . and it does not appear to cause any cel issues in NA GT4/Spyder.

Same true of the RS . . . I would think so if you are in NA since members indicate NA cars do not have sensors.

Avera

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...alia-modn.html

Last edited by Avera; 11-10-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:50 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm contemplating just hacking out the OPF on mine, however am unsure if they have sensors in there which might throw a CEL.
Are you in the states?
Old 11-10-2022, 02:47 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Maybe it was a GTS?? The GT4 does not have any rubber in the bushings in the rear that I am aware of.
I'm not sure but will try to find the post. EDIT: Found it:
Posted by Kelly Anderson in the Porsche Cayman GT4 FB Group.

"After a long weekend at the track, I finally got around to putting the street brake pads on last weekend. When I got to the right rear, I found this waiting to be seen. I'm not 100% sure when it happened but I do vaguely remember a "clunk" at one point when trail braking hard into a tight corner at Hallett. I didn't really notice any change in the handling of the car the rest of the weekend other than the car seemed a bit loose/jumpy every now and then. I just chalked it up to hot tires and brakes but I guess this was the culprit. So I took it into the dealership for repair under a warranty claim. Got a call from the service advisor saying the link broke due to the Soul race exhaust radiating heat to the link causing the rubber bushing to melt until it gave out under hard cornering. They honored the claim this time and advised to either switch exhaust systems, have the Soul system ceramic coated or add another type of heat shielding, and/or install aftermarket links that don't use rubber. Btw... Forgive me if I used a wrong terminology for the link. Has anyone else running an aftermarket exhaust had an issue like this happen to them and if so what did you do to resolve it? I don't mind upgrading the parts or doing what's needed to prevent this from happening again but I am curious if others have had the same issue because I haven't seen or heard of this happening so far. Taking the car to the track is an expensive hobby sometimes but you also have to pay to play 🤣😎"

Last edited by incursion; 11-10-2022 at 03:04 PM. Reason: pic
Old 11-10-2022, 03:40 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion

"After a long weekend at the track, I finally got around to putting the street brake pads on last weekend. When I got to the right rear, I found this waiting to be seen. I'm not 100% sure when it happened but I do vaguely remember a "clunk" at one point when trail braking hard into a tight corner at Hallett. I didn't really notice any change in the handling of the car the rest of the weekend other than the car seemed a bit loose/jumpy every now and then. I just chalked it up to hot tires and brakes but I guess this was the culprit. So I took it into the dealership for repair under a warranty claim. Got a call from the service advisor saying the link broke due to the Soul race exhaust radiating heat to the link causing the rubber bushing to melt until it gave out under hard cornering. They honored the claim this time and advised to either switch exhaust systems, have the Soul system ceramic coated or add another type of heat shielding, and/or install aftermarket links that don't use rubber. Btw... Forgive me if I used a wrong terminology for the link. Has anyone else running an aftermarket exhaust had an issue like this happen to them and if so what did you do to resolve it? I don't mind upgrading the parts or doing what's needed to prevent this from happening again but I am curious if others have had the same issue because I haven't seen or heard of this happening so far. Taking the car to the track is an expensive hobby sometimes but you also have to pay to play 🤣😎"

That is the sway bar end link. Interesting.

I have Tarett end-links, so not an issue for me, but still interesting find. I don't know anything about the Soul system, but I know Kline's design reroutes the piping.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Not sure how heat caused the sway bar end link to come apart?

Driving hard on a track would seem a far more likely culprit

Avera
The following users liked this post:
SupremePower (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 03:59 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Not sure how heat caused the sway bar end link to come apart?

Driving hard on a track would seem a far more likely culprit

Avera

Yeah, good point. That is just the dealership guessing as to the cause. The fact is it could have been caused by plenty of other things.

In either case, I am not worried about my Kline Inconel at all, but it is good to know that Kline does offer a solution if you don't mind the extra cost and are paranoid about it.
Avera (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 04:04 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

There’s many factor can be lead to this damage, I don’t think the pipe was the main problem that cause it ..like
is it full extreme track day? summer/ winter! Header stock or cat less..having header stock can hold the temps more before pass it to pipe from having it catless headers
Old 11-10-2022, 04:05 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 605 Likes on 348 Posts

Maybe it caused the teflon to melt or fail and then that allowed metal on metal until failure? I thought that was a monoball joint. Bottom line, on the street, I'd prob be ok with unshielded, but on the track, even with the airflow, I expect the front half of these things are red hot during multiple seconds of WOT, and I don't care for them repeatedly cooking everything in their proximity. But that's much harsher conditions than they'll see on the street.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:58 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
I suspect you have seen the below thread . . . and it does not appear to cause any cel issues in NA GT4/Spyder.

Same true of the RS . . . I would think so if you are in NA since members indicate NA cars do not have sensors.

Avera

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...alia-modn.html
Thanks very much, i'm in Australia so am yet to know if there is a o2 sensor in our version.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:33 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,361 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Question for the Kline owners, if you were able to order again today would you add the heat sheilding?
Old 11-15-2022, 09:35 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Question for the Kline owners, if you were able to order again today would you add the heat sheilding?
No...
UncleDude (12-06-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:37 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Thanks very much, i'm in Australia so am yet to know if there is a o2 sensor in our version.
Are they o2 sensors or merely temp sensors? I have a feeling that if the honeycomb inside were truly performing catalytic converter type functions there would be sensors even on the American versions, and there isn't. The o2 sensors are pre and post cat only.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

no….if you track a lot .YES
UncleDude (12-06-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:27 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

No, I have not seen the need. BUT I would get the headers too as once I installed those, I can feel the performance difference as it revs easier and it sounds the same under normal driving but about 4k rpm, it really wails.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaddMike:
dnimi123 (11-15-2022), LoodorneGT4 (11-15-2022), UncleDude (12-06-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:36 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

@MaddMike do you drive valve open all time?
I’m wondering if it’s too loud valve open all time with header, since below 4K valve close in PSE
Originally Posted by MaddMike
No, I have not seen the need. BUT I would get the headers too as once I installed those, I can feel the performance difference as it revs easier and it sounds the same under normal driving but about 4k rpm, it really wails.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust