Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 03:10 AM
slm9555
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
I am a wimp. I will first try it all hooked up and go from there. Easy enough to pull out the lines as all you guys say if it doesn’t do it for me. I will first post complaints that it is too quiet. 😂
with the valves closed it’s going to sound just like stock below 4k rpm - quiet, non existent and like an on / off switch once the valves open.

have the shop zip tie the vac lines during the install and tuck them away for you. No point in messing with the valves you’re going to be very disappointed when the valves are closed if your main goal is a great sound in the lower half of the rev range.
The following 2 users liked this post by slm9555:
BoxKing (06-27-2024), subwoofer (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:49 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by slm9555
with the valves closed it’s going to sound just like stock below 4k rpm - quiet, non existent and like an on / off switch once the valves open.

have the shop zip tie the vac lines during the install and tuck them away for you. No point in messing with the valves you’re going to be very disappointed when the valves are closed if your main goal is a great sound in the lower half of the rev range.
I haven't felt so much peer pressure than when I was in HS in the 70s about taking up smoking. LOL!
I don't mind a certain level of loudness. My BC Fabs is loud and that is with the vacuum lines hooked up and PSE off.

What I don't want is boominess when accelerating in the low rpm range at part throttle. A deep bassy sound that the BC Fabs produces and which is a deal breaker for me. If the Kline doesn't do that, then valves always open is fine for me. I would actually like enhancement of low rpm sound.

Again, so many divergent views but I do appreciate all the input. This one is very informative to me as well.
The following users liked this post:
silverscooby27 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I received my Kline exhaust today neatly packed in two large boxes. Shipped on Tuesday from Romania and delivered to NH today. Thanks to Eric & Kim @SupremePower
I dropped it off at my installer this afternoon and tomorrow morning my sweet little white car with the carrot top goes in for another makeover. Hahaha.

I decided to go all in to begin with and dial back if I need to. So no vacuum lines connected to valves. My current muffler is already so loud that I am in no mood to start off again low and slow. A comparison with the BC Fabs muffler is inevitable.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-27-2024 at 07:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by subwoofer:
BoxKing (06-27-2024), TRSCobra (06-27-2024), UncleDude (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:29 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 441 Posts

Enjoy! It seems you've been very excited for this one!
subwoofer (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 02:21 AM
slm9555
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 37 Posts

I received my Kline exhaust today neatly packed in two large boxes. Shipped on Tuesday from Romania and delivered to NH today. Thanks to Eric & Kim @SupremePower
I dropped it off at my installer this afternoon and tomorrow morning my sweet little white car with the carrot top goes in for another makeover. Hahaha.

I decided to go all in to begin with and dial back if I need to. So no vacuum lines connected to valves. My current muffler is already so loud that I am in no mood to start off again low and slow. A comparison with the BC Fabs muffler is inevitable.
good choice!!
Old 06-28-2024, 04:28 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 254 Posts

Well, what’s the verdict? Are you loving it?
Old 06-28-2024, 04:30 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
If anyone wants the Kline Inconel Tips, I have a brand new set that I'd be willing to sell for lower than MSRP.
DM me how much you are asking for them. I was probably going to go with new larger one for the Spyder RS Kline system, but still good to have some food for thought.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:41 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
Well, what’s the verdict? Are you loving it?
I don't have my car yet. Still with Precision Imports. Maybe later today.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:19 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I just got my car back with the Kline exhaust installed, Valves open, vacuum lines plugged. There was a slight mishap with installation. One of the bolts to the two hangers was overtightened and it snapped off (see right side of the muffler in the picture below). . I was assured that it doesn't really support the weight of the muffler and I should be fine. The shop is ordering a new hanger and bolt but it is 2 weeks from Germany. I will try calling Suncoast or Pelican (and so will the shop) to see if we can get one more quickly. What is the function of this hanger? Is it to quell vibration as I was told and doesn't have a support function? Appreciate your advice and input.

I only had a short 10 mile drive back home, mostly highway. The exhaust is very nice and can't comment much beyond that. It is a little quieter than the BC Fabs muffler with PSE off. Yeah the BC Fabs is that loud. And, there is no resonance or drone. No bassiness when accelrating at low rpms. Very pleased with that. I have to drive it a lot more to form a more informed opinion. I was also very pleasantly surprised when the shop told me that the exhaust kit was complete even with gaskets. Very good quality and documentation.

The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
BoxKing (06-28-2024), UncleDude (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,357 Likes on 2,197 Posts

You’ll be fine without that one hanger for a while, it is pretty snug in there once you bolt it to the transmission. I can see how that would happen because that cross bar to the transmission can be a real bitch, so you have to crank the hangers up depending on your car’s ultimate geometry. Is this the stainless?
subwoofer (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:35 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 458 Posts

Since I did the install myself, and if I can remember correctly… those bolts do support the system a little, though I used them to fine tune fitment more than anything. Loosening/tightening here and there until I liked how the tips lined up in the rear. I actually think mine are a little loose, as in not very tightly locked down bc I can hear a little metal to metal sound under hard deceleration from time to time, which I feel is the rear upper bolt (not the one you imaged) coming in contact with the upper heat shielding around the portion closest to the rear diffuser. Only on one side ((passenger side rear) where I could actually see the dimple/impression mark from where contact was made. Im going to look at this section the next time I have the car up in the air.

To answer your question, or to add not true answer; is it important, I’d say no. Would I want it installed, yes.

Can’t believe after all this time waiting for this system and you only sat in the car for 10 mins!!!
You gotta go out later and let her rip - the Kline comes alive after 4K.
subwoofer (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You’ll be fine without that one hanger for a while, it is pretty snug in there once you bolt it to the transmission. I can see how that would happen because that cross bar to the transmission can be a real bitch, so you have to crank the hangers up depending on your car’s ultimate geometry. Is this the stainless?
Thanks. Yeah it is SS.
UncleDude (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:56 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Since I did the install myself, and if I can remember correctly… those bolts do support the system a little, though I used them to fine tune fitment more than anything. Loosening/tightening here and there until I liked how the tips lined up in the rear. I actually think mine are a little loose, as in not very tightly locked down bc I can hear a little metal to metal sound under hard deceleration from time to time, which I feel is the rear upper bolt (not the one you imaged) coming in contact with the upper heat shielding around the portion closest to the rear diffuser. Only on one side ((passenger side rear) where I could actually see the dimple/impression mark from where contact was made. Im going to look at this section the next time I have the car up in the air.

To answer your question, or to add not true answer; is it important, I’d say no. Would I want it installed, yes.

Can’t believe after all this time waiting for this system and you only sat in the car for 10 mins!!!
You gotta go out later and let her rip - the Kline comes alive after 4K.
Thanks. I dropped my car off at 7.30 AM and only got the car back at 5.30 PM. Meanwhile (during evening pickup) an old, hungry, anxious but very sweet Golden Retriever was waitiing impatiently for me. I will take it out for a long drive tomorrow. It is not that loud. My hearing must be shot. I am glad that I didn't get the valves hooked up to the vacuum lines. I would have been pretty underwhelmed especially after the BC Fabs. I appreciate your pressure (hahaha) to leave it all hanging free & open. I live a very dissolute life and it suits me perfectly. It is very sweet. Finally, the car sounds like a Porsche.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-28-2024 at 08:15 PM.
BoxKing (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:00 PM
norphaedrus
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully once you get more seat time tomorrow you will find that it's the sound profile that you've been looking for. I was ready to celebrate your long awaited review.

The following 3 users liked this post by norphaedrus:
BoxKing (06-28-2024), seefouress (06-29-2024), subwoofer (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:26 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Miles Davis with Balvenie 21 Portwood . That is quite the lovely combination. I don’t drink as much Balvenie these days. The pickings are slim in NH’s state-controlled liquor stores and they have jacked up their prices. These days, I am more partial to heavily flavored single malts like Lagavulin 16 and Talisker 18 not to mention Laphroaig quarter cask and Port Charlotte 10. I was listening to Davis’ Footprints this evening in my recently acquired Rotel 5000 paired with Bowers and Wilkins 702 S3 signatures. It is a marvelous experience to listen to my favorite jazz as music and scotch washes over my senses. Hahaha.

Just a very brief drive with the Kline suggests refinement in the quality of the sound compared to my previous setup. It is like comparing bourbon to single malt scotch. Nothing wrong with either but I do prefer the latter.

The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
BoxKing (06-28-2024), seefouress (06-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust