Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:05 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by MPGT4
Thanks, I’m not doubting the sound, my only two concerns as stated above are re 1) losing the Porsche warranty if I have to reset the OPF error and 2) not passing the MOT (emissions test) in the U.K. - anybody in the U.K. that has installed either a 100 / 200 cells system?
Talk to your service advisor about warranty concerns.

Not sure what the requirements are for emissions in the UK.

Perhaps rear section for you would be best for peace of mind

Last edited by SupremePower; 06-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:09 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
Talk to your service advisor about warranty concerns. Emissions testing in USA its not legal to change the cats in most states. Perhaps rear section for you would be best for peace of mind
I’m surprised you’d say this. It’s not legal in ANY state. Those are federally mandated EPA emissions devices.

Sure some states don’t test, that’s not the same as legal to remove.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:09 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’m surprised you’d say this. It’s not legal in ANY state. Those are federally mandated EPA emissions devices.

Sure some states don’t test, that’s not the same as legal to remove.
Thanks. Written to quickly. Updated

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Some pics of Kline w GT4RS Weissach tips

Tip sets are in stock 2895/set

For ordering/info plz email sales@supremepower.com

Old 06-11-2022, 04:41 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks. Written to quickly. Updated
$2900 for TIPS??? Really? That's significantly more than most OAP's, right? What am I missing about these tips?
Old 06-11-2022, 04:57 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
$2900 for TIPS??? Really? That's significantly more than most OAP's, right? What am I missing about these tips?
Yes, just the tip.........Titanium Tips produced by Akrapovic for the Weissach pkg GT4RS.

Good looks w at least 15HP gain LOL! Spendy accessory for sure.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:23 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, just the tip.........Titanium Tips produced by Akrapovic for the Weissach pkg GT4RS.

Good looks w at least 15HP gain LOL! Spendy accessory for sure.
nice tips but MAN!....thanks for clarifying!
Old 06-11-2022, 11:06 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
nice tips but MAN!....thanks for clarifying!
and 2895 is trying hard to discount for u guys
Old 06-12-2022, 07:02 AM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MPGT4
Thanks, I’m not doubting the sound, my only two concerns as stated above are re 1) losing the Porsche warranty if I have to reset the OPF error and 2) not passing the MOT (emissions test) in the U.K. - anybody in the U.K. that has installed either a 100 / 200 cells system?
I've had the 200 cell heasders and they do give a CEL. The headers sound nice but do not improve power IMO:

Old 06-12-2022, 11:13 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

I went for a longer drive with the SS Kline (no headers), and I still absolutely love it. It's totally transformative. I will say that the valve controller is helpful in getting the whole experience, and that the absolute best results are with the top down.

Here are a few notes on installing:

1. These instructions are absolutely amazing, thanks so much to the author. I printed them out and literally checked each item off:

https://911maniac.com/kline/

2. I think this is an install that is easier with a QuickJack than with a full lift. I was able to install the exhaust myself by laying on my back and just lifting it up directly over my head. Once it was up, I could control the exhaust with one hand and a forearm, while screwing the two critical hanging nuts on with the other hand. Actually holding it over your head while standing under a lift would be really challenging.

3. In retrospect, I don't think the bolts that come with the Kline are too short once fully tightened. However, they are definitely going to seem too short. I did not want to reuse the stud, as when I talked to my dealer about installing they said it would be "probably $950, unless we break off a stud and have to drill it out." I purchased three boxes of these from a local auto-parts store, and they are the correct thread count and give a little more clearance vs the included bolts:

I also put conical stainless steel washers on mine. Apparently, they are better at withstanding vibrations than a typical lock washer. The fact that neither porsche nor kline includes them leads me to believe they are not necessary, but they made me feel better.

4. All the vendors say that you don't need any heat shielding, but I felt better with it. I ended up using DEI exhaust wrap for this, and installed it using this video:

I installed it before I put the OAPs on. I used one of these:

https://www.designengineering.com/st...ies-14-5-pack/

and one of these:

https://www.designengineering.com/st...m-x-14-4-pack/

On each end. The former are easier to get super tight, the latter feel sturdier. I would not buy their "tie locking tool", I didn't find it necessary or useful.

Two 25' sections of exhaust wrap were just about perfect, I had a few extra feet on each one.

Overall, the install was pretty fun. Its all stainless steel, so as long as you don't break off the studs removing them, it doesn't seem like you could do that much damage. I found the exhaust controller install much more stressful.

I'll say one more time, I am really, really pleased with the exhaust. I was watching reviews of the new Emira recently, and it seems like recent European regs have killed the sound on that one too. Clearly Lotus could tune it for great sound in the previous generation, now they just can't. I think the reality is that manufacturers (esp. from europe) are no longer able to produce great sound and conform to the regs. To achieve the sound the car is capable of, you have to go aftermarket and work around the regulatory requirements.
The following 3 users liked this post by ttcbj:
jimdillard (06-12-2022), MaddMike (06-12-2022), UncleDude (11-19-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 11:23 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyLon
I've had the 200 cell heasders and they do give a CEL. The headers sound nice but do not improve power IMO:

https://youtu.be/j5mBGxUylh0

I ended up getting a CEL with the 200 cel headers as well.

I’m pretty sure you need the full Kline system to get the full power benefit. I had the exhaust + oap first and felt some increase in power and then added the 200 cel headers and noted a significant increase after that. Never dyno the car (I just may at some point though).

Most recently I just tuned the car (Softronics 346/440) and didn’t notice much more gain which makes me think I was already very close to those numbers beforehand.

The tune was well worth it though IMO. Cleared the CEL, defeats auto start stop and cylindar deactivation, and 8200 rpm redline in a GTS. I already had a valve controller but it can act as one as well. You would probably notice a significant power increases from a stock gts.

Last edited by NiteCrawlr; 06-12-2022 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MannyLon (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 07:37 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I went for a longer drive with the SS Kline (no headers), and I still absolutely love it. It's totally transformative. I will say that the valve controller is helpful in getting the whole experience, and that the absolute best results are with the top down.

Here are a few notes on installing:

1. These instructions are absolutely amazing, thanks so much to the author. I printed them out and literally checked each item off:

https://911maniac.com/kline/

2. I think this is an install that is easier with a QuickJack than with a full lift. I was able to install the exhaust myself by laying on my back and just lifting it up directly over my head. Once it was up, I could control the exhaust with one hand and a forearm, while screwing the two critical hanging nuts on with the other hand. Actually holding it over your head while standing under a lift would be really challenging.

3. In retrospect, I don't think the bolts that come with the Kline are too short once fully tightened. However, they are definitely going to seem too short. I did not want to reuse the stud, as when I talked to my dealer about installing they said it would be "probably $950, unless we break off a stud and have to drill it out." I purchased three boxes of these from a local auto-parts store, and they are the correct thread count and give a little more clearance vs the included bolts:

I also put conical stainless steel washers on mine. Apparently, they are better at withstanding vibrations than a typical lock washer. The fact that neither porsche nor kline includes them leads me to believe they are not necessary, but they made me feel better.

4. All the vendors say that you don't need any heat shielding, but I felt better with it. I ended up using DEI exhaust wrap for this, and installed it using this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT6JnrncUSI&t=192s

I installed it before I put the OAPs on. I used one of these:

https://www.designengineering.com/st...ies-14-5-pack/

and one of these:

https://www.designengineering.com/st...m-x-14-4-pack/

On each end. The former are easier to get super tight, the latter feel sturdier. I would not buy their "tie locking tool", I didn't find it necessary or useful.

Two 25' sections of exhaust wrap were just about perfect, I had a few extra feet on each one.

Overall, the install was pretty fun. Its all stainless steel, so as long as you don't break off the studs removing them, it doesn't seem like you could do that much damage. I found the exhaust controller install much more stressful.

I'll say one more time, I am really, really pleased with the exhaust. I was watching reviews of the new Emira recently, and it seems like recent European regs have killed the sound on that one too. Clearly Lotus could tune it for great sound in the previous generation, now they just can't. I think the reality is that manufacturers (esp. from europe) are no longer able to produce great sound and conform to the regs. To achieve the sound the car is capable of, you have to go aftermarket and work around the regulatory requirements.
Very nicely done and thanks very much for posting. Interesting comment on the Cargraphic install. Can you please explain why you felt is was stressful? Tight quarters? Please post some audio when you get the opportunity. Now go enjoy that thing!!
Old 06-12-2022, 08:30 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

I had Soul OAPs that I had Jet-Hot coated but ended up selling them and getting the Kline OAPs, moffler, and CF tips. I'm still waiting on my car but am tempted to coat the Kline OAPs but am concerned that it may affect the sound. Anyone have the inconel OAPs coated? Anyone run into any issues with them not coated of wrapped?

Last edited by MaddMike; 06-12-2022 at 08:31 PM.
SupremePower (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

At Porsche Parade and went on a drive today...numerous people came over to me at the end to say how great my Spyder sounds - and I have to agree.... especially driving next to something that will echo the sound back to the cabin. Still stoked every time I drive (I keep valves open 100% of the time) - loving the Kline SS system!
SupremePower (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I had Soul OAPs that I had Jet-Hot coated but ended up selling them and getting the Kline OAPs, moffler, and CF tips. I'm still waiting on my car but am tempted to coat the Kline OAPs but am concerned that it may affect the sound. Anyone have the inconel OAPs coated? Anyone run into any issues with them not coated of wrapped?
It may not answer your question perfectly, but I after installing my titanium JCR tips that are heat shielded I did notice a bit more heat from the sides of the car where the wheels are compared to the factory oaps. I am driving it much harder than I used to, but I can't imagine having it not coated in something....jet hot or some sort of shielding.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust