Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 04:55 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

The collar on the valves which I installed is keeping them from fully closing. This allows for a bit more volume when the valves would normally be closed.

I keep PSE in the off position mostly to keep the sound symposer off. I find the "increased" intake sound unnecessary and perhaps even a bit intrusive, the organic intake sound is just right for me. But. I also think the OEM valve control in the PSE off position works well with the Kline exhaust. The exhaust note builds more naturally to my ears with it off. This is mostly in normal everyday driving...

When you're driving aggressively - I don't think you'd notice if PSE was on or off... perhaps by the intake sound you'd notice?

Once in a while I'll turn PSE on also... usually depends on the passenger...

The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:25 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
The collar on the valves which I installed is keeping them from fully closing. This allows for a bit more volume when the valves would normally be closed.

I keep PSE in the off position mostly to keep the sound symposer off. I find the "increased" intake sound unnecessary and perhaps even a bit intrusive, the organic intake sound is just right for me. But. I also think the OEM valve control in the PSE off position works well with the Kline exhaust. The exhaust note builds more naturally to my ears with it off. This is mostly in normal everyday driving...

When you're driving aggressively - I don't think you'd notice if PSE was on or off... perhaps by the intake sound you'd notice?

Once in a while I'll turn PSE on also... usually depends on the passenger...
That’s interesting. So the tamest setting (what I am using with my BC Fabs) is to leave everything connected and run the exhaust with PSE off. Next is your modification with partially open valves and PSE off (or everything connected and PSE on?) Some people have disconnected the vacuum lines altogether and are using the exhaust with valves open all the time with the possibility to add more intake sound with the PSE switch. I am not an aggressive driver so will try the tamest setting first. Even that is too much for me right now with the BC Fabs because it has no silencer. It is loud.
MrFunk (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:38 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregonater
Sheeesh so even at a 103db day I will have to let off. That's too bad.

Edit: I'm realizing now you may have thought I was asking for the track limit. I know the track limits and was hoping to know how many DB the kline exhaust reads at Laguna and if people have had issues with the lower limit days.
I've not been to Laguna yet with my car, but her at PIR our track dB limit is 102, and I've never had any issue. Granted each track is different. Maybe just some turn down tips would be enough for Laguna, not sure.
Gregonater (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 02:28 AM
Gregonater
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I've not been to Laguna yet with my car, but her at PIR our track dB limit is 102, and I've never had any issue. Granted each track is different. Maybe just some turn down tips would be enough for Laguna, not sure.
I feel like the exhaust seems under 100db...but it's true it can read different at every track. Thanks for the info though, was hoping someone had experience at lower DB laguna events. I'll probably just plan for a 103db day and hope for the best.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:26 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Getting really impatient for my Kline because of the heat shielding addition to the OAPs. Three weeks today and no signs of nothing. I guess the Romanians don't work on weekends.
Thankfully it is in the mid 90s all week in southern NH so I am not missing driving my car in this heat (dome). It was hotter this morning in NH for my bike ride than in southern Florida with no breeze. Damn!
Old 06-18-2024, 08:31 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Getting really impatient for my Kline because of the heat shielding addition to the OAPs. Three weeks today and no signs of nothing. I guess the Romanians don't work on weekends.
Thankfully it is in the mid 90s all week in southern NH so I am not missing driving my car in this heat (dome). It was hotter this morning in NH for my bike ride than in southern Florida with no breeze. Damn!
I waited a few months for my Kline carbon fiber exhaust tips. All things in good time. Drive your car. It won't melt.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:35 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimdillard
I waited a few months for my Kline carbon fiber exhaust tips. All things in good time. Drive your car. It won't melt.
Meh! I get six months of driving time in NH. Two gone already. I don't melt. I ride my bike in the 90s and in the afternoons in Florida. My car, I don't like it so much because while it is in motion I am not. And no subwoofer effects either on my bike rides because they don't have the BC Fabs muffler.

In all fairness, it is my problem. I lose interest fairly rapidly especially when there are too many hobbies to occupy my time. No fault but my own attention-deficit disorder. My attention has now shiftted to upgrading my home audio. LOL!

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-18-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:39 PM
norphaedrus
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Finding the right exhaust will feel way easier than finding the perfect home audio. Hopefully you have found the latter and days away on the former. I'm a recovered audiophile in that I have stopped listening to equipment and began listening to music again.

Can't wait to hear your feedback on the Kline exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by norphaedrus:
lovetoturn (06-19-2024), subwoofer (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 09:57 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by norphaedrus
Finding the right exhaust will feel way easier than finding the perfect home audio. Hopefully you have found the latter and days away on the former. I'm a recovered audiophile in that I have stopped listening to equipment and began listening to music again.

Can't wait to hear your feedback on the Kline exhaust.
Life for me without old jazz and single malt scotch in the evening is not a life worth living. Haha. If I thought Porsche drivers are a highly opinionated lot, all I had to do was to ask for audio advice on the AVS forum. Those guys are nuts.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:16 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the BCFABS inconel rear box along with BCFABS inconel oap deletes (nonsilenced). I love this setup but I do drive aggressively and track my Gt4. It can have a little boominess between 2-3K with lackluster throttle application but usually I am applying more aggressive throttle. If you are just cruising at constant speed anywhere in the 2-3K range there is no boominess and you can easily hold a conversation.

I keep seeing comparisons to the Kline system but they are comparing apples to oranges. Notice Kline does not offer a nonsilenced oap delete and non Kline oaps can't be used with the Kline rear box due to Klines unique configuration. Nobody is running a Kline rear box with oem oap or any other oap to compare to subwoofers BCFABS setup. If you want Klines "civility" with BCFABS rear box then use BCFABS silenced oap, then we are talking apples to apples. Everyone that I personally know running BCFABS is running nonsilenced oap delete or their complete exhaust with under axle pipes. When my warranty is finished I will be going to BCFABS headers with under axle pipes. That complete setup is a game changer on track. I don't have dyno numbers but tracking two different Gt4s before and after BCFABS complete exhaust, both owners and myself have consistently better times. BCFABS have figured something out with their headers and I don't know what it is. Kudos to them. I can say I did not see that with the Kline full exhaust but maybe a Kline owner can shed more light on that.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:10 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
I have the BCFABS inconel rear box along with BCFABS inconel oap deletes (nonsilenced). I love this setup but I do drive aggressively and track my Gt4. It can have a little boominess between 2-3K with lackluster throttle application but usually I am applying more aggressive throttle. If you are just cruising at constant speed anywhere in the 2-3K range there is no boominess and you can easily hold a conversation.

I keep seeing comparisons to the Kline system but they are comparing apples to oranges. Notice Kline does not offer a nonsilenced oap delete and non Kline oaps can't be used with the Kline rear box due to Klines unique configuration. Nobody is running a Kline rear box with oem oap or any other oap to compare to subwoofers BCFABS setup. If you want Klines "civility" with BCFABS rear box then use BCFABS silenced oap, then we are talking apples to apples. Everyone that I personally know running BCFABS is running nonsilenced oap delete or their complete exhaust with under axle pipes. When my warranty is finished I will be going to BCFABS headers with under axle pipes. That complete setup is a game changer on track. I don't have dyno numbers but tracking two different Gt4s before and after BCFABS complete exhaust, both owners and myself have consistently better times. BCFABS have figured something out with their headers and I don't know what it is. Kudos to them. I can say I did not see that with the Kline full exhaust but maybe a Kline owner can shed more light on that.
I am the old guy moaning about low rpm resonance with the BC Fabs muffler. It is a matter of personal taste and tolerance. Right upfront I told Ben that I was not a fan of loud exhuasts and all I was looking to do was to add some sound in the low rpm range where the OEM exhaust is whisper quiet (to my audibly-challenged hearing). I was assured that the muffler is not loud. But many of you have commented that the muffler is indeed very loud. I find it to be loud, not ideal but tolerable. I did not know about the boomiiness. Everyone has commented that it is indeed boomy at low revs when accelerating across the 2-3k rpm range at part throttle. The rear muffler alone is their most popular option (according to the owner) so it is fair to make comparisons with another exhaust manufacturer who has chosen not to offer only a rear muffler.

I am not an aggressive driver and do spend more time in the lower rpm band and do accelerate at part throttle. In that use case scenario, the BC Fabs muffler comes up short for me because the boominess is ever present and is annoying enough to detract from the joy of driving a fine car. I contemplated adding the resonated OAPs to quell that resonance but I was informed that, that addition would increase the volume by 25%. That is an unaccetable level of volume increase for me on an already loud exhaust.

If the manufacturer doesn't want to see their product as 'deficient' in any way, all they had to do was to ask a few questions and decline to sell one to a prospective buyer like me. It was quite apparent in my intial email enquiry that I was not looking for a loud exhaust and did not want to ruin the car for touring.

I have no idea if the Kline solution i.e. combiining a rear muffler with their proprietary resonated OAPs would be more 'civil'. I am hoping that it will be or it will be another expensive experiment.

All in all, I think it is just a matter for personal taste and finding the right match for your audio needs. Quite similar to picking the right sound signature of a loud speaker for music.

Glad to hear that your BC Fabs experience has been a lot more positive than mine. Sometimes things don't work out and that is fine. It is a learning experience.

Old 06-19-2024, 09:29 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on your stated requirements, I think you will be happy with Kline. However, it is noteworthy that the majority of Kline owners appear to slightly modify their Kline exhaust with valve controllers or collars and not use it solely as Kline designed it. I hope the Kline gives you what you want. Let us know and let us know if you find it necessary to add a valve controller or collars. Wishing you all the best and keep driving.
subwoofer (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:43 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
Based on your stated requirements, I think you will be happy with Kline. However, it is noteworthy that the majority of Kline owners appear to slightly modify their Kline exhaust with valve controllers or collars and not use it solely as Kline designed it. I hope the Kline gives you what you want. Let us know and let us know if you find it necessary to add a valve controller or collars. Wishing you all the best and keep driving.
Thanks. I plan to use mine (at least initially) as desgined by Kline. I suspect that it will be more than satisfactory for my style of driving. From what I can tell, it appears to be tamer than BC Fabs, Soul or Akrapovic.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:48 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Adding a valve controller or collars has nothing to do with the varying designs from any of the reputable back box manufactures . Opening the flaps allows the driver the full RPM range of sound, instead of waiting to eclipse 4K RPM. Even when I just had OAP’s, adding the collars at 95% full open was a game changer over the stock PSE control. It’s not that one needs to do this to their Kline system to achieve the sound/tone that “should have been from the manufacturer”, its to enrich the experience through the entire power-band. Also, there is nothing civil about Kline, unless comparing it to a full Dundon crack pipe. Header back on my GT4 sings on track, and I get compliments from the instructors of students I pass telling me that they love hearing when Im ripping up behind them, then after the point-by, saying it sounds so damn good!! I didn’t buy the system for others, but I will admit that I do get added enjoyment out if it knowing that the sound profile people hear is very desirable i.e. “this has to be the best sounding GT4 I have heard to date!” - This coming from another 718 GT4 owner who used to have a JCR full race system on his car, and took it off due to the unbearable amount of drone.

I will say, which ever system ppl have on their 718’s.. it does seem like some variation of aftermarket OAP is required to maximize not only tone, but to minimize drone as well. Kline just hit a home run by designing their system this exact way out of the box, eliminating the need to Frankenstein all sorts of combinations in order to find something that only comes close to the desired tone for each individual.

Last edited by BoxKing; 06-19-2024 at 09:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BoxKing:
revcon (06-21-2024), subwoofer (06-19-2024), TRSCobra (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:16 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Adding a valve controller or collars has nothing to do with the varying designs from any of the reputable back box manufactures . Opening the flaps allows the driver the full RPM range of sound, instead of waiting to eclipse 4K RPM. Even when I just had OAP’s, adding the collars at 95% full open was a game changer over the stock PSE control. It’s not that one needs to do this to their Kline system to achieve the sound/tone that “should have been from the manufacturer”, its to enrich the experience through the entire power-band. Also, there is nothing civil about Kline, unless comparing it to a full Dundon crack pipe. Header back on my GT4 sings on track, and I get compliments from the instructors of students I pass telling me that they love hearing when Im ripping up behind them, then after the point-by, saying it sounds so damn good!! I didn’t buy the system for others, but I will admit that I do get added enjoyment out if it knowing that the sound profile people hear is very desirable i.e. “this has to be the best sounding GT4 I have heard to date!” - This coming from another 718 GT4 owner who used to have a JCR full race system on his car, and took it off due to the unbearable amount of drone.

I will say, which ever system ppl have on their 718’s.. it does seem like some variation of aftermarket OAP is required to maximize not only tone, but to minimize drone as well. Kline just hit a home run by designing their system this exact way out of the box, eliminating the need to Frankenstein all sorts of combinations in order to find something that only comes close to the desired tone for each individual.
The best combination for that perfect sound is a combination of Soul headers, cargraphic resonated OAPs, BC fabs muffler, akrapovic tips, collars left open at precisely 73.39% brylcreem in my hair (if I had any left) and silk boxers. Nirvana would then be achieved.
The following 3 users liked this post by subwoofer:
BoxKing (06-20-2024), LooseNut (06-20-2024), revcon (06-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust