Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 08:32 AM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I apologize if I'm being redundant...however I've seen numerous recent questions here regarding drone with the Kline OAP's and Back Box. I've had the Kline Inconel system installed with the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller for about a year now and have experienced NO DRONE WHATSOEVER. I previously had the SOUL Ceramic-Coated Resonated OAP's ONLY installed and loved them. That said, I believe the Kline system offers a more refined sound overall, and even with the Cargraphic fully OPEN, is quieter at lower RPM's. The Kline system still sounds beautiful...but it's quieter at lower RPMS. However...raise the RPM above 5,000 and you're in for an entirely different experience.

FWIW...I regularly attend our PCA monthly drives here in Middle Tennessee with the Musik-Stadt Chapter. For those that haven't taken advantage of your local PCA chapter drives, I strongly recommend them. They're just plain great fun with people who have a shared interest and enthusiasm in the beautiful car you're driving!! I've received multiple compliments from fellow club members during these drives regarding the sound of the Kline system.

For those who didn't see this earlier this spring, I made the video below of some local driving with the Kline system installed on my 2022 Spyder. Would I purchase the Kline system again? ABSOLUTELY! It's a game-changer in sound.

The following 3 users liked this post by jimdillard:
BoxKing (07-05-2024), Dem bones (07-05-2024), tigerhonaker (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 08:50 AM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
All of that for the GT4 RS as well. And then you get the last 8000-9000 and it goes all metallica and even higher pitched like a GT3. When you drive home from the track and it’s all civil under 4000 RPMs. Just a stunning achievement by Klein and if you upgrade to inconel it is even a notch better. Do you need the inconel to enjoy the Kline experience. No, not at all. But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, it takes off 30 pounds and sounds even better.
Did you install the OAP’s and back box?
Old 07-05-2024, 11:15 AM
CaymanChris
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdillard
I apologize if I'm being redundant...however I've seen numerous recent questions here regarding drone with the Kline OAP's and Back Box. I've had the Kline Inconel system installed with the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller for about a year now and have experienced NO DRONE WHATSOEVER. I previously had the SOUL Ceramic-Coated Resonated OAP's ONLY installed and loved them. That said, I believe the Kline system offers a more refined sound overall, and even with the Cargraphic fully OPEN, is quieter at lower RPM's. The Kline system still sounds beautiful...but it's quieter at lower RPMS. However...raise the RPM above 5,000 and you're in for an entirely different experience.

FWIW...I regularly attend our PCA monthly drives here in Middle Tennessee with the Musik-Stadt Chapter. For those that haven't taken advantage of your local PCA chapter drives, I strongly recommend them. They're just plain great fun with people who have a shared interest and enthusiasm in the beautiful car you're driving!! I've received multiple compliments from fellow club members during these drives regarding the sound of the Kline system.

For those who didn't see this earlier this spring, I made the video below of some local driving with the Kline system installed on my 2022 Spyder. Would I purchase the Kline system again? ABSOLUTELY! It's a game-changer in sound.

https://youtu.be/lGrdLTlgh_s?si=GOEN1qBoDNKr1z3h
I have aftermarket OAPs installed now and am considering an upgrade to the inconel Kline system. For those who had OAPs before they installed the Kline system I have two questions if you don't mind:
1. Is the midrange torque improvement over the stock OAPs with the particulate filters there? One of the nicest things about my current OAPs is the improvement in mid-range torque I have experienced. Right now it feels like i have the torque i used to get at 5000 rpm shifted to about 4000 rpm which has been very nice. I don't care about overall horsepower but the more usable torque is nice. Seems like the Kline system should provide that same benefit but wanted to see if people who have made this change agree with that.
2. OAPs do improve the sound experience by both increasing volume and bringing out more pops and burbles. I have enjoyed this immensely. Reality is that 80% of my shifts occur between 4000 and 5000 rpm. From my reading on here, it sounds like the Kline system is enjoyable when shifting in this range. Sound levels may be slightly lower and sound will be different but still very enjoyable and will include pops and burbles. Can others who have made this change comment on sounds when shifting in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range?
I suspect after reading through this thread that this change is very much worth it but wanted to get more information regarding the two questions above.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:26 AM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanChris
I have aftermarket OAPs installed now and am considering an upgrade to the inconel Kline system. For those who had OAPs before they installed the Kline system I have two questions if you don't mind:
1. Is the midrange torque improvement over the stock OAPs with the particulate filters there? One of the nicest things about my current OAPs is the improvement in mid-range torque I have experienced. Right now it feels like i have the torque i used to get at 5000 rpm shifted to about 4000 rpm which has been very nice. I don't care about overall horsepower but the more usable torque is nice. Seems like the Kline system should provide that same benefit but wanted to see if people who have made this change agree with that.
2. OAPs do improve the sound experience by both increasing volume and bringing out more pops and burbles. I have enjoyed this immensely. Reality is that 80% of my shifts occur between 4000 and 5000 rpm. From my reading on here, it sounds like the Kline system is enjoyable when shifting in this range. Sound levels may be slightly lower and sound will be different but still very enjoyable and will include pops and burbles. Can others who have made this change comment on sounds when shifting in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range?
I suspect after reading through this thread that this change is very much worth it but wanted to get more information regarding the two questions above.
Chris,

Great questions. If you're up in the Nashville area you're more than welcome to stop by for a demo. I think doing so would ally any of your concerns regarding switching to the Kline system. And again...this from a guy who loved his SOUL OAP's ONLY...

Jim
The following users liked this post:
CaymanChris (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 11:40 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimdillard

https://youtu.be/lGrdLTlgh_s?si=GOEN1qBoDNKr1z3h
Jim Dillard,

The guy ^^^ from "Historic" Franklin, Tennessee.

Jim D,
I've seen numerous recent questions here regarding drone with the Kline OAP's and Back Box. I've had the Kline Inconel system installed with the Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Controller for about a year now and have experienced NO DRONE WHATSOEVER.
I previously had the SOUL Ceramic-Coated Resonated OAP's ONLY installed and loved them.

That said, I believe the Kline system offers a more refined sound overall, and even with the Cargraphic fully OPEN, is quieter at lower RPM's.
The Kline system still sounds beautiful...but it's quieter at lower RPMS.

However...raise the RPM above 5,000 and you're in for an entirely different experience.
Jim, from the times I have heard Both your previous SOUL "Resonated" OAP and now the Kline exhaust.
My {Opinion} for you and your Spyder with it's Gentian-Blue color the Kline is the BEST-Overall-Choice.

My Cayman 718 GT4 in it's Super-BRIGHT "Racing-Yellow" {in-your-face} exterior color below is my choice of exhaust.
As a comparison my SOUL New V2 "Rear-Exhaust-System" with the SOUL (Performance) ceramic-coated OAP & Cargraphics-Valve-Controller is without-Any-Doubt the right choice.
Also the BMC (Performance) intake-filters for even more of the "intake-sound".

Especially if I Lock the Valves-Wide-Open !!!

Something for everyone that works best ......................

Terry Honaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-05-2024 at 11:48 AM.
jimdillard (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:48 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Cargraphics-Valve-Controller is without-Any-Doubt the right choice.
Is there much difference between different valve controllers? Soul sells their own valve controller as well?
Old 07-05-2024, 08:15 PM
rescueswimmer
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng101
Is there much difference between different valve controllers? Soul sells their own valve controller as well?
They accomplish the same thing just different ways. The 2 way cargraphic Valve controller is by far the easiest. You literally are disconnecting and plugging back in.
The following 2 users liked this post by rescueswimmer:
jimdillard (07-05-2024), neteng101 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 10:24 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

I have only had my Kline exhaust for a week now with the vacuum lines disconnected (for more sound at low rpms). The exhaust sounds so benign when shifting below 4k rpms in casual driving that I question the need for a valve controller. Speaking only for myself obviously. Less is more personally.
The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
jimdillard (07-06-2024), revcon (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 08:08 AM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subwoofer
I have only had my Kline exhaust for a week now with the vacuum lines disconnected (for more sound at low rpms). The exhaust sounds so benign when shifting below 4k rpms in casual driving that I question the need for a valve controller. Speaking only for myself obviously. Less is more personally.
I concur. The sound produced by my Kline Inconel system is very subdued at 4,000 RPM or less. And accordingly, I leave my Cargraphic Controller in the "LOUD" position 100% of the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimdillard:
rescueswimmer (07-06-2024), subwoofer (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 11:59 AM
JKen_0115
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Fellows,

I’m thinking to add SS 200 cell headers to complete my Inconel setup in GT4. The following things I want to have the improvements, please share your real experience if possible.

1. Will it reduce the boomy(slightly) during 2-3K when the valve open?

2. Will it improve the torque in the low/mid range? I care more about butt dyno than the actual HP honestly. Please share the specific difference if you will.

3. Have you experienced any CEL?

Appreciate your honest opinions.
MrFunk (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 01:35 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by neteng101
neteng101,

I think to answer you best is for me to share what the Shop-Foreman said to me when I asked him the following.
Nick, (Shop Foreman) I would appreciate your input on which "Valve Controller" for you to install on my 2021 Cayman 718 GT4.
It makes no difference to me so you pick which one and I'll place the order.
Nick's basic words to me, Terry the Cargraphics is like a Plug & Play unit the SOUL does the same thing but is more complicated to install.
I, Nick, would definitely get the Cargraphics Valve-Controller as it could have come from Porsche it's that good of a product.

Hope the above helps with your decision,
Terry
Old 07-06-2024, 04:21 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

Since installing my Kline (Inconel) system - I've had my valve collars set at the most conservative position and have really enjoyed the exhaust note, natural progression of sound (loudness) and nuances/sophistication. I've got about 1200 miles on it now and from reading a lot of comments here I felt I needed to play with the collars a bit.
A few days ago I set them to "full open"... and went for a good drive around town, then out to the country and back home on the highway to get various driving scenarios. I live at the bottom of a hill and my first impression was climbing up the hill from my house in 2nd gear - the boominess (between 2k and 3k) RPM almost immediately gave me a headache. It wasn't just light, it's quite overwhelming. The remainder of the drive I found myself trying to avoid that RPM range which is really hard to do under most driving scenarios. It actually ruined the whole experience for me and I promptly set the collars back to the position I had them originally. Today I took the car out again for a drive and was back to loving the exhaust again. Zero boominess between 2-3k...

At WOT and aggressive driving having the valves locked open was certainly more aggressive sounding in the lower RPM range, but anything above 4k and it's no different to my current set up with the valves kept open only slightly. In the lower range with the valves held open you lost all the beautiful tone and sound I love about this exhaust - it's just drowned out by that boominess (I'd actually call it heavy drone) between 2-3k RPM. It's obvious why Porsche designed the valves to always close between that range.

Just my personal opinion of course, and I'm sure Uncle Dude and I are in the minority here in our more "tame" valve set up... perhaps the amount of patience I have for boomy exhausts is now set extremely low after driving a supercharged S2000 with headers, high flow cat and Miltek exhaust for 5 years ...

The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
tigerhonaker (07-07-2024), UncleDude (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 04:27 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Since installing my Kline (Inconel) system - I've had my valve collars set at the most conservative position and have really enjoyed the exhaust note, natural progression of sound (loudness) and nuances/sophistication. I've got about 1200 miles on it now and from reading a lot of comments here I felt I needed to play with the collars a bit.
A few days ago I set them to "full open"... and went for a good drive around town, then out to the country and back home on the highway to get various driving scenarios. I live at the bottom of a hill and my first impression was climbing up the hill from my house in 2nd gear - the boominess (between 2k and 3k) RPM almost immediately gave me a headache. It wasn't just light, it's quite overwhelming. The remainder of the drive I found myself trying to avoid that RPM range which is really hard to do under most driving scenarios. It actually ruined the whole experience for me and I promptly set the collars back to the position I had them originally. Today I took the car out again for a drive and was back to loving the exhaust again. Zero boominess between 2-3k...

At WOT and aggressive driving having the valves locked open was certainly more aggressive sounding in the lower RPM range, but anything above 4k and it's no different to my current set up with the valves kept open only slightly. In the lower range with the valves held open you lost all the beautiful tone and sound I love about this exhaust - it's just drowned out by that boominess (I'd actually call it heavy drone) between 2-3k RPM. It's obvious why Porsche designed the valves to always close between that range.

Just my personal opinion of course, and I'm sure Uncle Dude and I are in the minority here in our more "tame" valve set up... perhaps the amount of patience I have for boomy exhausts is now set extremely low after driving a supercharged S2000 with headers, high flow cat and Miltek exhaust for 5 years ...
I've found my inconel system has boominess in that range even with the valves closed, but if I'm closing the valves with the Cargraphic vc while the drone is present, there's a moment before the valves are fully closed that the drone completely disappears.

I might try the collars in that same position and see if I can find the best of both worlds.
Old 07-06-2024, 05:52 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 49 Posts

Always great to see everyone enjoying how Kline transforms these cars - night and day. I made a big mistake yesterday and drove a 991.2 GT3 RS with a GMG side muffler and center muffler delete. I'm ruined. Time to save my pennies...
Old 07-06-2024, 09:07 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk

You haven't heard boominess until you try a BC Fabs muffler with the vaccum lines connected. If you find the Kline boomy, you would have gone insane with the BC Fabs in 5 minutes. Jokes aside, I am surprised about your observations. I find the Kline to be really quite tame with only a little booominess at part throttle in the 2000-3000 rpm range. The exhaust sounds louder when cold and once it is warmed up, it quietens down quite a bit. The tone is higher pitched but not too much for my hearing. I think I went from a very loud boomy exhaust to Kline so I don't find it loud or boomy. Also my hearing must be slightly compromised at 63. I would not like it any quieter.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-06-2024 at 09:08 PM.
jimdillard (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust