Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024 | 02:10 PM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Can you guys see the MOV file or is it local to my computer?
5 by 5 (yes)
Old 06-24-2024 | 04:36 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Does anybody have sound clips of the Kline with the vacuum lines connected and disconnected? How much of an increase in volume is there at low revs when the valves are always open? 2x? Any resonance when accelerating across the low rpm range or drone while cruising at say 2000 rpms when the valves are always open. Thanks for your feedback. Will be very useful to me.
Old 06-24-2024 | 06:53 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Does anybody have sound clips of the Kline with the vacuum lines connected and disconnected? How much of an increase in volume is there at low revs when the valves are always open? 2x? Any resonance when accelerating across the low rpm range or drone while cruising at say 2000 rpms when the valves are always open. Thanks for your feedback. Will be very useful to me.
It’s not easy to quantify (2x, 3x) because it really depends upon load. With my PSE set to Off, it is fairly quiet and stock sounding at partial throttle (cruising in Automatic), and more guttural than regular stock at fuller throttle. Think your prior 981 or an older 911.

My car has valves 100% open (due to APR tune) with PSE On. Again partial throttle (cruising in Automatic), it is deeper sounding than stock with no perceived drone. Under full load, it is gloriously deeper sounding up to about 5,000 RPMs, and then more exotic sounding at higher RPMs to Redline. Being Inconel, it seems higher pitched than the Stainless, but in a high quality type of way. Not Lamborghini V10 screeching, but approaching certain Ferrari-esque sounds.

I tend to drive my car strictly in Manual mode, so at much higher RPMs than Automatic cruising, and it does scream when taking it right up to redline. The APR tune raises the redline from 7,800 to 8,300 RPMs, so that also has an impact. At first, it was a bit unsettling when punching the throttle with another car traveling right next to me (based on my unfamiliarity), but I have had many people pull along side of me at traffic lights raving about the sound of the car.

I have found the intensity of the sound has calmed down slightly after heat-cycling a few times. With that said, you are going to love the sound of down shifts. Phenomenal!!!

Hope you like it, but give yourself some time to adjust to the new sound. I suspect stock PSE On operation will sound pretty nice, and if you ever find yourself wanting “more”, go for either a PSE On with valves wide-open ECU tune, Cargraphic valve controller, or even valve collars.

Lastly, underside photo with stock bracket transferred over to Kline. Jimmy at Toy knows what needs to be done having installed mine.

Last edited by mc3456; 06-24-2024 at 07:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mc3456:
BoxKing (06-24-2024), fasteddie99 (06-25-2024), subwoofer (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 07:25 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
It’s not easy to quantify (2x, 3x) because it really depends upon load. With my PSE set to Off, it is fairly quiet and stock sounding at partial throttle (cruising in Automatic), and more guttural than regular stock at fuller throttle. Think your prior 981 or an older 911.

My car has valves 100% open (due to APR tune) with PSE On. Again partial throttle (cruising in Automatic), it is deeper sounding than stock with no perceived drone. Under full load, it is gloriously deeper sounding up to about 5,000 RPMs, and then more exotic sounding at higher RPMs to Redline. Being Inconel, it seems higher pitched than the Stainless, but in a high quality type of way. Not Lamborghini V10 screeching, but approaching certain Ferrari-esque sounds.

I tend to drive my car strictly in Manual mode, so at much higher RPMs than Automatic cruising, and it does scream when taking it right up to redline. The APR tune raises the redline from 7,800 to 8,300 RPMs, so that also has an impact. At first, it was a bit unsettling when punching the throttle with another car traveling right next to me (based on my unfamiliarity), but I have had many people pull along side of me at traffic lights raving about the sound of the car.

I have found the intensity of the sound has calmed down slightly after heat-cycling a few times. With that said, you are going to love the sound of down shifts. Phenomenal!!!

Hope you like it, but give yourself some time to adjust to the new sound. I suspect stock PSE On operation will sound pretty nice, and if you ever find yourself wanting “more”, go for either a PSE On with valves wide-open ECU tune, Cargraphic valve controller, or even valve collars.

Lastly, underside photo with stock bracket transferred over to Kline. Jimmy at Toy knows what needs to be done having installed mine.
Thanks. That looks very good. I am getting the work done at Precision Imports in Manchester, NH. They are only 15 minutes away and are a quality shop for Porsches. Oil change and state inspection are due as well so I will get that done with the exhaust.

My Kline is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Heat shielding to the OAPs has added close to 4 weeks to the order. Can't be helped I suppose.
My BC Fabs muffler is quite loud and I am so used to it now that I am wondering whether to leave the vacuum lines unplugged with the Kline. Quiet OEM to loud BC Fabs to Kline(?). Maybe I should leave the vacuum lines unplugged? I am now living in LOUDLAND (with my car and new audio speakers) so why go back? My hearing is shot anyway. Haha.
Old 06-24-2024 | 07:54 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That looks very good. I am getting the work done at Precision Imports in Manchester, NH. They are only 15 minutes away and are a quality shop for Porsches. Oil change and state inspection are due as well so I will get that done with the exhaust.

My Kline is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Heat shielding to the OAPs has added close to 4 weeks to the order. Can't be helped I suppose.
My BC Fabs muffler is quite loud and I am so used to it now that I am wondering whether to leave the vacuum lines unplugged with the Kline. Quiet OEM to loud BC Fabs to Kline(?). Maybe I should leave the vacuum lines unplugged? I am now living in LOUDLAND (with my car and new audio speakers) so why go back? My hearing is shot anyway. Haha.
An installer 15 mins away is definitely more convenient for you. Regarding the valves, I’d figure out a way to have working PSE modes, just with valves fully-open in PSE On mode though. I have recently started using PSE Off more often than ever before just because the car also provides a nicely-enhanced classic Porsche Flat 6 sound at full throttle. I swear you’ll love that too, plus on the rare occasion if you do make a long boring highway trip in heavy traffic, you’ll appreciate some lower sound levels too. However, for windy back road rips, crank ‘em wide-open, Baby! 😁

Last edited by mc3456; 06-24-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2024 | 07:55 PM
incursion
Racer

Valves open 100% of the time is not that loud and totally dailyable imho. There's no drone.
The following 3 users liked this post by incursion:
dnimi123 (06-25-2024), revcon (06-25-2024), subwoofer (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 08:39 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

An installer 15 mins away is definitely more convenient for you. Regarding the valves, I’d figure out a way to have working PSE modes, just with valves fully-open in PSE On mode though. I have recently started using PSE Off more often than ever before just because the car also provides a nicely-enhanced classic Porsche Flat 6 sound at full throttle. I swear you’ll love that too, plus on the rare occasion if you do make a long boring highway trip in heavy traffic, you’ll appreciate some lower sound levels too. However, for windy back road rips, crank ‘em wide-open, Baby! 😁
I went from Bread to Led Zeppelin (or Deep Purple). I am trying to find my Steely Dan compromise. Valves closed it is then to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 10:45 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

I went from Bread to Led Zeppelin (or Deep Purple). I am trying to find my Steely Dan compromise. Valves closed it is then to begin with.
You can pull the valve lines on and off in just a few minutes for when you want to tinker. My vote is 100% open, the sound profile 0-4K rpm is instant on - its just too good not to hear this system from the ground up, and lets face it, we’re not always driving above 4K rpm. To support this, most people who have controllers state they leave the system open 99% of the time. If I had to install my system all over again, I would have left PSE as is just to see what the factory settings would sound like, bc its so simple to apply collars or remove the lines.

You’ll get the gist of what some of us are saying once you get it installed……. We’ll wait to hear your review next year!
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 11:00 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
You can pull the valve lines on and off in just a few minutes for when you want to tinker. My vote is 100% open, the sound profile 0-4K rpm is instant on - its just too good not to hear this system from the ground up, and lets face it, we’re not always driving above 4K rpm. To support this, most people who have controllers state they leave the system open 99% of the time. If I had to install my system all over again, I would have left PSE as is just to see what the factory settings would sound like, bc its so simple to apply collars or remove the lines.

You’ll get the gist of what some of us are saying once you get it installed……. We’ll wait to hear your review next year!
I have an install date on July 5th. Hopefully 2024 not 2025. It really is up to the Romulans… I mean the Romanians to ship the damn thing. The heat-shielding seems as complicated as a cloaking device. Do you have any sound clips of your car at idle or low revs? I am not really driving in the upper rpm band most of the time. It is tough (and irresponsible) on public roads. Anyway, most people seem to be driving more slowly on backroads when I am driving my Boxster. Wonder why? 😉

Old 06-24-2024 | 11:04 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

I have an install date on July 5th. Hopefully 2024 not 2025. It really is up to the Romulans… I mean the Romanians to ship the damn thing. The heat-shielding seems as complicated as a cloaking device. Do you have any sound clips of your car at idle or low revs? I am not really driving in the upper rpm band most of the time. It is tough (and irresponsible) on public roads. Anyway, most people seem to be driving more slowly on backroads when I am driving my Boxster. Wonder why? 😉
FWIW my Kline setup took only 2 days to arrive from Romania from when I got the shipping notice. And I live on the west coast!
The following 2 users liked this post by TRSCobra:
LooseNut (06-25-2024), subwoofer (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 11:10 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
FWIW my Kline setup took only 2 days to arrive from Romania from when I got the shipping notice. And I live on the west coast!
That’s great to hear. I will know tomorrow and maybe I will be able to push my appointment up to early next week. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2024 | 12:12 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

subwoofer
Everyone will have an opinion on how to set it up. This thread is FULL of these opinions.

Just try out a few different set ups for yourself when you get it. The nice thing is that it's free and easy to adjust...

I'd start fully stock for a week, then put the valve collars on in most conservative position for a week, then move them to fully open for a week. Then adjust as needed. You can decide what you like...
Have you driven the car with the OEM exhaust too? I suggest getting some seat time with the car fully stock too... that way you have a baseline...
Old 06-25-2024 | 12:47 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
subwoofer
Everyone will have an opinion on how to set it up. This thread is FULL of these opinions.

Just try out a few different set ups for yourself when you get it. The nice thing is that it's free and easy to adjust...

I'd start fully stock for a week, then put the valve collars on in most conservative position for a week, then move them to fully open for a week. Then adjust as needed. You can decide what you like...
Have you driven the car with the OEM exhaust too? I suggest getting some seat time with the car fully stock too... that way you have a baseline...
Thanks. I just got notification from Eric that the exhaust is on its way.
I drove with the OEM exhaust for about 2 months last year. It was OK. Too quiet below 4k rpms and not a very good sound above that.
Old 06-25-2024 | 01:02 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

^^
Good
Just play with the variables when you receive the exhaust... no one here can tell you what your personal preference will be.
Old 06-25-2024 | 02:16 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

It looks like you didn't heat wrap your OAPs. Any heat-related issues as a result? Also, where in the pic is the "stock bracket" referred to? TIA...

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust