Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 09:24 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,433 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Since installing my Kline (Inconel) system - I've had my valve collars set at the most conservative position and have really enjoyed the exhaust note, natural progression of sound (loudness) and nuances/sophistication. I've got about 1200 miles on it now and from reading a lot of comments here I felt I needed to play with the collars a bit.
A few days ago I set them to "full open"... and went for a good drive around town, then out to the country and back home on the highway to get various driving scenarios. I live at the bottom of a hill and my first impression was climbing up the hill from my house in 2nd gear - the boominess (between 2k and 3k) RPM almost immediately gave me a headache. It wasn't just light, it's quite overwhelming. The remainder of the drive I found myself trying to avoid that RPM range which is really hard to do under most driving scenarios. It actually ruined the whole experience for me and I promptly set the collars back to the position I had them originally. Today I took the car out again for a drive and was back to loving the exhaust again. Zero boominess between 2-3k...

At WOT and aggressive driving having the valves locked open was certainly more aggressive sounding in the lower RPM range, but anything above 4k and it's no different to my current set up with the valves kept open only slightly. In the lower range with the valves held open you lost all the beautiful tone and sound I love about this exhaust - it's just drowned out by that boominess (I'd actually call it heavy drone) between 2-3k RPM. It's obvious why Porsche designed the valves to always close between that range.

Just my personal opinion of course, and I'm sure Uncle Dude and I are in the minority here in our more "tame" valve set up... perhaps the amount of patience I have for boomy exhausts is now set extremely low after driving a supercharged S2000 with headers, high flow cat and Miltek exhaust for 5 years ...
Yep, we’re in lock step with this. To me it is ideal set up, and like you said above 4000 they’re open anyway. I have not tried the valves 100% open, and maybe I should, but you’re report doesn’t encourage me to even bother.

Here’s my video of this setup, just after I installed it:

Last edited by UncleDude; 07-06-2024 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (07-15-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:37 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Perhaps I am the odd one here, but with full flash control of my valves, I tend to drive with them closed in urban/daily driving. Whilst I love the open mode in spirited driving, I find it a bit much around town, esp with the added mechanical sound from shorter gearing. Kline sounds great in either open or closed. I also think it sounds different in Cayman vs Boxter.
LooseNut (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 10:53 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 609 Likes on 346 Posts

I love having valves, living in an urban environment I try to sneak around until I get to more open roads.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following 3 users liked this post by Le Petit Garage:
6IXSPD (07-07-2024), MrFunk (07-07-2024), ScottRich (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 07:54 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

All very interesting, the last few comments by folks with valves closed or only partially open. Now I am curious about how the Kline will sound with the vacuum lines connected and OEM valve control. I guess I will give it a try once I get the hanger bracket that the shop broke during installation. I didn’t realize that the exhaust tone actually changes with valves open vs closed. I like Uncle’s video. That sounds very civilized. Mine is more raucous. Refined is better IMO. Quality over quantity any time.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-07-2024 at 07:57 AM.
LooseNut (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:13 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

Refined is the word.
UncleDude (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 12:28 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Since installing my Kline (Inconel) system - I've had my valve collars set at the most conservative position and have really enjoyed the exhaust note, natural progression of sound (loudness) and nuances/sophistication. I've got about 1200 miles on it now and from reading a lot of comments here I felt I needed to play with the collars a bit.
A few days ago I set them to "full open"... and went for a good drive around town, then out to the country and back home on the highway to get various driving scenarios. I live at the bottom of a hill and my first impression was climbing up the hill from my house in 2nd gear - the boominess (between 2k and 3k) RPM almost immediately gave me a headache. It wasn't just light, it's quite overwhelming. The remainder of the drive I found myself trying to avoid that RPM range which is really hard to do under most driving scenarios. It actually ruined the whole experience for me and I promptly set the collars back to the position I had them originally. Today I took the car out again for a drive and was back to loving the exhaust again. Zero boominess between 2-3k...

At WOT and aggressive driving having the valves locked open was certainly more aggressive sounding in the lower RPM range, but anything above 4k and it's no different to my current set up with the valves kept open only slightly. In the lower range with the valves held open you lost all the beautiful tone and sound I love about this exhaust - it's just drowned out by that boominess (I'd actually call it heavy drone) between 2-3k RPM. It's obvious why Porsche designed the valves to always close between that range.

Just my personal opinion of course, and I'm sure Uncle Dude and I are in the minority here in our more "tame" valve set up... perhaps the amount of patience I have for boomy exhausts is now set extremely low after driving a supercharged S2000 with headers, high flow cat and Miltek exhaust for 5 years ...
MrFunk,

Sir that Post ^^^ you did was very informative to me.
It seriously reminds me of the SOUL V1 (Version 1) "Rear-Exhaust-System" and having to drive around the SUPER-ANNOYING drone/booming range.
I did that ^^^ for almost 2-years and got Really-really good with my PDK 718 GT4 staying away from that annoying RPM range.
Then thankfully SOUL did, finally, introduce the V2 (Version 2) "Rear-Exhaust-System" that I have.
It's ^^^ a Major improvement !!!

I am glad you did your Post and you were honest about what you found.

See the example below it is 30-minutes long so you can and do get exactly what it sounds like while driving.

SOUL PERFORMANCE V2 EXHAUST, PERFORMANCE OAP, SOUND SYMPOSER DELETE, CARGRAPHICS VALVE CONTROLLER

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-07-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 12:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have video/audio of the Kline with factory valve programming? I have only heard valves open or partially open.
Old 07-07-2024, 06:30 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

This is valves open. I would say closed is about 10% louder than OEM over 4000rpm, but under 4000rpm in closed it sounds about the same, but very smooth and sophisticated. It is difficult to say for sure due to the complete difference in tone between OEM and Kline.

Here is a re-post of extended open mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
subwoofer (07-07-2024), UncleDude (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I went for a long drive this afternoon ( Boxster, top down)and tried to replicate the drone and resonance that Mr. Funk referred to in his description of the sound characteristics( with the values locked open). I must not be sensitive to drone or resonance because what I heard at low rpm was some mild boomy sound and a little drone but pretty unremarkable. I drove at 2k rpms and partial application of the throttle produced this effect but was not too annoying to my hearing. For example, even in sixth at 50 mph, the drone was minimal and application of the throttle didn’t produce an intolerable and off-putting boomy sound. Some but very livable for me. I even had the PSE switch on for intake sound and it was very enjoyable. There is a very nice hum to the exhaust sound.

I usually don't do much highway driving in my Boxster but I will try an hour or so tomorrow to see how drony it gets at a steady 70-75 mph.

The sound at low rpm with the open valves is superb with pops and crackles and no abrupt transition in volume above 4-5k rpms although it does get much louder to my ears. The low rpm sound also drowns out the noisy chirping from the fuel injectors. Higher rpm sound is of course much higher pitched than the low rpm noise.

If the Kline with closed valves sounds as quiet as OEM, then it won’t work for me although I should experiment with it. That setup was so inert & antispetic to me in a sports car.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-07-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 07:47 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

@subwoofer - do you have the SS version or Inconel? I wonder if that produces enough difference in resonance for us to have different experiences?? There's certainly a 2-3k boominess that I know others have noticed with the Inconel system with the valves open. I also agree that it's worse when the system is cold...
@tigerhonaker - great vid! Your exhaust sounds great! I didn't notice any annoying boom - but it's difficult to capture in a video... love the shoes!!!
Old 07-07-2024, 07:52 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

@subwoofer - do you have the SS version or Inconel? I wonder if that produces enough difference in resonance for us to have different experiences?? There's certainly a 2-3k boominess that I know others have noticed with the Inconel system with the valves open. I also agree that it's worse when the system is cold...
@tigerhonaker - great vid! Your exhaust sounds great! I didn't notice any annoying boom - but it's difficult to capture in a video... love the shoes!!!
@MrFunk I have the stainless steel version. Very nice. I find that I am in complete agreement with Kit's (Kit's cars) review of the Kline.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-07-2024 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:03 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,433 Likes on 2,226 Posts

@RoadrunnerGTS that sounds fantastic!

Subwoofer if you dig around my youtube channel you’ll see three videos with stock valve operation.
subwoofer (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:42 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I've never liked the OEM low rpm sound of any of the three Porsches that I have owned. My 991.2 4s sounded like a bucket of bolts at startup and at low rpm, the whistling of the turbos and the mechanical racket from the engine made it sound very unrefined. It only sounded nice above 4k rpms. My 981 Boxster with the 3.4 liter also only sounded good when revving it out. The 4 liter in my Boxster 25 sounded even worse (muffled) when I bought the car last year. Strange because boxer engines are supposedly very well balanced but they don't sound smooth to me. I have no clue why they sound so bad (to me at least) at low revs.. An exhaust, I think, can only do so much to fix the low rpm sound. Kline, from what I have experienced so far, is pretty darn good. Can't complain.
Old 07-07-2024, 10:03 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subwoofer
I've never liked the OEM low rpm sound of any of the three Porsches that I have owned. My 991.2 4s sounded like a bucket of bolts at startup and at low rpm, the whistling of the turbos and the mechanical racket from the engine made it sound very unrefined. It only sounded nice above 4k rpms. My 981 Boxster with the 3.4 liter also only sounded good when revving it out. The 4 liter in my Boxster 25 sounded even worse (muffled) when I bought the car last year. Strange because boxer engines are supposedly very well balanced but they don't sound smooth to me. I have no clue why they sound so bad (to me at least) at low revs.. An exhaust, I think, can only do so much to fix the low rpm sound. Kline, from what I have experienced so far, is pretty darn good. Can't complain.
One of the biggest likes I have with the Kline is that of the improved idle sound and low rpm sound. Best I can describe is it way more exotic sounding vs OEM. (54 sec mark in above)

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 07-07-2024 at 10:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
2XIPA (07-09-2024), subwoofer (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 10:41 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 828 Posts
Smile

MrFunk,

@tigerhonaker -
great vid!
Your exhaust sounds great!
I didn't notice any annoying boom - but it's difficult to capture in a video...
love the shoes!!!
You didn't hear any "Annoying-Boom" as there is none at all between the 2,000 RPM & 3,000 RPM ranges.
I did four (4) new videos with the Newly released SOUL V2 exhaust on my YouTube channel.
One of the four (4) videos is demoing the V2 for {PERFORMANCE} ONLY if your interested ???
You can watch and listen to them if your interested ???
Terry Honaker on YouTube

The Bright Colored shoes go with my Bright, "Racing-Yellow" 718 GT4.

Terry

BoxKing (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust