Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 06:36 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

There is no annoying boom with the Kline with open valves. If one wants annoying boom which even I couldn't tolerate, buy the BC Fabs muffler. I am not a hard guy to please. YMMV.
I saw a couple of videos by Uncle with the valves closed. Too quiet for me.
The following users liked this post:
6IXSPD (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:37 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah IDK what the others are talking about... unless there's an exhaust leak somewhere and/or OEM PSE button is also being used.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:49 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
There is no annoying boom with the Kline with open valves. If one wants annoying boom which even I couldn't tolerate, buy the BC Fabs muffler. I am not a hard guy to please. YMMV.
I saw a couple of videos by Uncle with the valves closed. Too quiet for me.
+1
With valves open in override mode (tune or hardware) there can be a boom/resonance around the 2500rpm zone in the Cayman. I found this a minor annoyance on other exhaust setups I used before Kline, namely Soul muffler only, then with R-OAP + OEM muffler. With the Kline, it is really just not there.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:33 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
Yeah IDK what the others are talking about... unless there's an exhaust leak somewhere and/or OEM PSE button is also being used.
Haha. I leave the PSE swtich on to get more intake sound with the Kline wide open. From what I have gathered, even with the PSE swtich on, the sound symposer doesn't even activate until 4k rpms. I kinda like that extra sound in the cabin but then, I have a Boxster and it is always driven topless. I could never turn PSE on with the BC Fabs muffler because boom became BOOM. Insane!
Old 07-09-2024, 12:59 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
Did you install the OAP’s and back box?
Yes, got to have the OAPs to get rid of the second set of cats and add the additional resonator to open it up yet keep it quiet.
Old 07-11-2024, 07:25 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Took two weeks to get this from Perimeter Porsche. One of two in the US. 160 bucks plus shipping. Exhaust hanger bracket for suppressing vibration supposedly. No idea what the cylindrical thing is supposed to do. Wonder if it has a heavy spring? Without one in my Kline, there is a mild vibration.

Old 07-15-2024, 05:57 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I had the broken hanger (vibration damper) installed today and it seems to help with the vibration I was noticing with only one hanger. I guess it is an important to have both of them. I have to say that the Kline with valves open while sounding great does allow for some mild vibration when off thottle. I feel it in my hands. Either that or I am developing some neurological disease. Everything is aligned well, nothing loose and nothing rubbing or touching the heat shield. I don't remember if the OEM was that way or the BC Fabs after that.

Old 07-15-2024, 06:36 PM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

@subwoofer vibrations felt with your hands on the steering wheel generally come from the front end. (Tires wheels etc.) If the vibration is coming from the rear, you should feel it through the seat. Vibrations from the rear will sometimes make the passenger headrest shake which you can see or feel if you rest you hand on it lightly. This will be most noticeable without a passenger.

When you say off throttle, is that coasting as if you are in neutral or hard decel, as in downshifting with no throttle applied? If it is coasting and the drive train is not providing resistance then I doubt what you are feeling is coming from the exhaust, engine or trans.

What speed do you feel the vibration? Does it still happen with the car in neutral or engine turned off? Be careful turning the engine off when driving as it will negatively affect the power steering and power brakes. (general CYA, don't do this if you aren't familiar with what will happen.)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:46 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

I had the broken hanger (vibration damper) installed today and it seems to help with the vibration I was noticing with only one hanger. I guess it is an important to have both of them. I have to say that the Kline with valves open while sounding great does allow for some mild vibration when off thottle. I feel it in my hands. Either that or I am developing some neurological disease. Everything is aligned well, nothing loose and nothing rubbing or touching the heat shield. I don't remember if the OEM was that way or the BC Fabs after that.
I had really bad vibrations when I installed the Soul muffler in early days pre-Kline. The vibes were in pedals, steering. It was terrible and returned the muffler for refund. It was a fitment issue where the gap between the muffler box was touching the heatshielding on the inner rear bumper. The issue would only happen once the system heated up after few minutes of driving.

I would check that gap/area is at least 3-5mm.
LooseNut (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:46 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LooseNut
@subwoofer vibrations felt with your hands on the steering wheel generally come from the front end. (Tires wheels etc.) If the vibration is coming from the rear, you should feel it through the seat. Vibrations from the rear will sometimes make the passenger headrest shake which you can see or feel if you rest you hand on it lightly. This will be most noticeable without a passenger.

When you say off throttle, is that coasting as if you are in neutral or hard decel, as in downshifting with no throttle applied? If it is coasting and the drive train is not providing resistance then I doubt what you are feeling is coming from the exhaust, engine or trans.

What speed do you feel the vibration? Does it still happen with the car in neutral or engine turned off? Be careful turning the engine off when driving as it will negatively affect the power steering and power brakes. (general CYA, don't do this if you aren't familiar with what will happen.)
Perhaps I am just adjusting to the low rpm rowdy behavior of the exhaust. Without the one hanger, I felt it in the steering, pedals and seat both on throttle and while coasting. I noticed it more at lower rpms. With both hangers, it seems to be alleviated but similar scenarios. It is really mild. I would say even milder than a vibrating phone. Nothing as bad as a vibrating passenger seat.

I don’t notice it when I am at a stop and I am in neutral. I think it is just that this exhaust doesn’t have everything buttoned down like the OEM. I have to try connecting the vacuum lines to see if that suppresses it. Shop installed it pretty well.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-15-2024 at 06:58 PM.
LooseNut (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 07:08 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Perhaps I am just adjusting to the low rpm rowdy behavior of the exhaust. Without the one hanger, I felt it in the steering, pedals and seat both on throttle and while coasting. I noticed it more at lower rpms. With both hangers, it seems to be alleviated but similar scenarios. It is really mild. I would say even milder than a vibrating phone. Nothing as bad as a vibrating passenger seat.

I don’t notice it when I am at a stop and I am in neutral. I think it is just that this exhaust doesn’t have everything buttoned down like the OEM. I have to try connecting the vacuum lines to see if that suppresses it. Shop installed it pretty well.
This is normal, no?
Old 07-15-2024, 07:14 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justince
This is normal, no?
Probably but I thought I would throw it out there. Porsche is very particular about vibration, suppressing it and resonance. NVH mitigation. Once one gets an aftermarket exhaust, you lose some of that but of course gain with a more vibrant (not vibrating) sound. Hahaha
Old 07-15-2024, 07:15 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Will be selling shortly off my 718 Spyder Kline inconel exhaust , rear and OAP with inconel tips (only 2k mi
The following 2 users liked this post by K-Nut:
Cougarav8r (07-25-2024), UncleDude (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 10:28 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Nut
Will be selling shortly off my 718 Spyder Kline inconel exhaust , rear and OAP with inconel tips (only 2k mi
those tips are super classy 👌🏻
K-Nut (07-15-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 05:39 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I had been using my Kline stainless steel exhaust in my Boxster 25 with the vacuum lines disconnected. Today, I had the shop connect up the lines and went for a drive. It was really quiet below 4k rpms. I could barely hear anything except for a distant hum and some muffled pops and crackles. Above 4k rpms, the exhaust suddenly came alive which made it sound jarring. Went straight back to the shop and had them disconnect the vacuum lines and the car is back to its rowdy self. I can see where quiet may be useful in congested residential areas or perhaps for a quiet long drive on the highway. Since my car is primarily for entertainment, I see no value to the quiet mode at all but I guess a valve controller may be useful in certain instances. End of experiment.
The following 3 users liked this post by subwoofer:
BoxKing (07-19-2024), jimdillard (07-19-2024), K-Nut (07-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust