Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 09:50 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by alexk79
Unfortunately, I've been asked not to show any photos online. Wish I could. The system has no drone. The car sounds deeper now, has more bass and the pitch is higher in the revs. But the OPF’s are definitely preventing this new engine to sing its true song. It also sounds less turbo charged, which I think was the old systems layout? With OPF deletes and sport/race cats it will sound perfect! I need to make more videos.
This cuts both ways, Schmidt may be doing something they don't want competitors to pick up on, but they also lose business from those of us that need to see what we're buying first.
Unless you're under an NDA, you have no obligation to them after the sale, and would hope you feel obligated to your fellow Rennlisters. :)
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Unfortunately, I've been asked not to show any photos online. Wish I could. The system has no drone. The car sounds deeper now, has more bass and the pitch is higher in the revs. But the OPF’s are definitely preventing this new engine to sing its true song. It also sounds less turbo charged, which I think was the old systems layout? With OPF deletes and sport/race cats it will sound perfect! I need to make more videos.
Is it an Xpipe design? Does it have some connection between left and right sides? Any satisfaction guarantee?
I remember AWE offering full refund guarantee if not satisfied with their exhaust sound.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:50 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
This cuts both ways, Schmidt may be doing something they don't want competitors to pick up on, but they also lose business from those of us that need to see what we're buying first.
Unless you're under an NDA, you have no obligation to them after the sale, and would hope you feel obligated to your fellow Rennlisters.
I agree, if he want's more exposure then he needs to market his products like the rest. The best would be to contact him.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:54 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by DocMo
Is it an Xpipe design? Does it have some connection between left and right sides? Any satisfaction guarantee?
I remember AWE offering full refund guarantee if not satisfied with their exhaust sound.
I was there when he installed his first system so I got to hear it first hand. I was very impressed. I never asked him about a refund guarantee.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:26 PM
DocMo
Racer

I was there when he installed his first system so I got to hear it first hand. I was very impressed. I never asked him about a refund guarantee.
I contacted him let’s see...this whole secrecy thing is ridiculous
Old 05-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

I contacted him let’s see...this whole secrecy thing is ridiculous

Old 05-03-2020, 01:04 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
That’s probably the best stock exhaust sound clips I’ve heard. I assume it is stock, doesn’t say otherwise.

And I got to see some exquisite driving gloves that Grandma knitted.
Yeah this car sounds good. If you have a 981 GT4 you know the 3.8 has a musical note and is very loud. Super satisfying.

The 4.0 in the 718 definitely sounds more traditional cayman to me especially if you compare to some of the 987 sounds. Imo. But that's just through videos.

718 GT4 is more grown up sounding which isn't bad. The auto man vid there shows the sound outside the car and from a distance is still great.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
Sounds like a muffled gt3’ish to me...https://youtu.be/Bga-Fw5Da9c
I came across that video the other day as well. Loved it, but didn't link it here, lest the shouty exhaust pitchfork police come out in force. I think that car sounds perfect, racy and pure engine and intake sound, not manufactured noise. I'm Italian, but I don't want people thinking I'm an IROC.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:54 PM
F1-GT
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I came across that video the other day as well. Loved it, but didn't link it here, lest the shouty exhaust pitchfork police come out in force. I think that car sounds perfect, racy and pure engine and intake sound, not manufactured noise. I'm Italian, but I don't want people thinking I'm an IROC.
😂😂😂
Old 05-04-2020, 09:41 AM
DocMo
Racer

Yes, I just did the rear muffler. It's definitely louder but it sounds so much better. The Racing Switch is a muffler/pipe combo, so it won't sound as raw as a straight pipped exhaust. I didn't want to purchase the Racing Pure from them as I would prefer to remove the OPF and install sport cats at a later stage. I often leave early mornings.
I am hesitating between Racing Pure and Racing Switch which sounds better / racier when revving it (only videos available at this stage). Have you heard Racing Pure in real life?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:05 AM
alexk79
Advanced

I am hesitating between Racing Pure and Racing Switch which sounds better / racier when revving it (only videos available at this stage). Have you heard Racing Pure in real life?
No, I haven't heard the Racing Pure in real life. I went for more the conservative approach, which fits my daily needs with the car being quieter. The Racing Pure sounds racier, less bass then the Racing Switch. It’s similar to comparing race cats to sport cats with regards to the tone. But remember, I’m still going to install sport cats and OPF deletes in the future so if I want to go quieter I can use the valves to transfer the sound through the muffler on the Racing Switch. That’s also a reason for the Racing Switch choice.
r.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:45 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Old 05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Everyone. I just released my first video of my new exhaust. Currently it's very difficult to make videos as we have a very strict lockdown policy here in South Africa. I promise to make more and better videos soon. Enjoy for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlcK_Rnja94
sounds good! But should listen with proper earphones to get the full sound.

Youre right the other Racing Pure might be too much but like that video as well. Its so loud that even closed sounds pretty good lol.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:12 PM
_nosubstitute_
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I haven't heard the Racing Pure in real life. I went for more the conservative approach, which fits my daily needs with the car being quieter. The Racing Pure sounds racier, less bass then the Racing Switch. It’s similar to comparing race cats to sport cats with regards to the tone. But remember, I’m still going to install sport cats and OPF deletes in the future so if I want to go quieter I can use the valves to transfer the sound through the muffler on the Racing Switch. That’s also a reason for the Racing Switch choice.
r.
Reading website, it seems though that the difference between PURE and SWITCH is one is valved (switch/pse button) and the other isn't. So isn't SWITCH just as loud when valves are open vs. PURE?
Old 05-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Sorry but that doesn't sound one bit better than stock. What a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point