Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:25 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Our system uses inline silencers, they're 50mm internal diameter which is sufficient for flow and also effective enough from a silencing point of view. It would be possible to force the valves closed and run in this mode however its not something that we would recommend, the OPF already creates a significant amount of back pressure due to the design of the flange. It wouldn't be wise to add any restrictions as this would only exacerbate the issues. Hence why we ditched the OEM tips as that's like running a fire hose with a domestic sprinkler attachment fitted to the end.

Neither our silenced or non silenced system drones and neither is what I would consider to be loud. Our non silenced system is still below the max dB of a 100% stock 981 GT4 at WOT. The OPF is a very effective silencer in its own right.

JC
From a sound tone and pitch perspective, is there a difference between the two versions? Which one sounds “better” and more “refined” if any?

what’s the expected delivery time for the non silenced version?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:31 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Our system uses inline silencers, they're 50mm internal diameter which is sufficient for flow and also effective enough from a silencing point of view. It would be possible to force the valves closed and run in this mode however its not something that we would recommend, the OPF already creates a significant amount of back pressure due to the design of the flange. It wouldn't be wise to add any restrictions as this would only exacerbate the issues. Hence why we ditched the OEM tips as that's like running a fire hose with a domestic sprinkler attachment fitted to the end.

Neither our silenced or non silenced system drones and neither is what I would consider to be loud. Our non silenced system is still below the max dB of a 100% stock 981 GT4 at WOT. The OPF is a very effective silencer in its own right.

JC
Thanks for the reply.
If one is keeping the OEM headers and the OPF in place this would make complete sense.

What I should have mentioned is Im considering replacing the entire system with catless headers, and having the cats located where the OPF is. So in open mode it would be completely straight through and extremely loud.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
From a sound tone and pitch perspective, is there a difference between the two versions? Which one sounds “better” and more “refined” if any?

what’s the expected delivery time for the non silenced version?
Volume is the difference, the non silenced sounds very very slightly sharper in pitch but thats just due to the nature of a silencer and its effect and tendency to soften the tone a touch.

From point of order to delivery currently is around 8 weeks for both silenced and non silenced systems. We have been inundated with orders on this system.

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Thanks for the reply.
If one is keeping the OEM headers and the OPF in place this would make complete sense.

What I should have mentioned is Im considering replacing the entire system with catless headers, and having the cats located where the OPF is. So in open mode it would be completely straight through and extremely loud.
I see. I still feel that the silenced system will offer sufficient silencing effect when you're looking for the exhaust to be quiet. If you need to reduce the sound further at WOT then our silenced tips would be the answer to further reduce the volume by 5/6dB.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 05-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

JC
Considering the silencers and indeed the entire system, what is the expected lifespan and what kind of warranty is offered? Some companies are offering a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:50 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Considering the silencers and indeed the entire system, what is the expected lifespan and what kind of warranty is offered? Some companies are offering a limited lifetime warranty.
All of our parts are built to last and we will always stand behind our products and the brand as a whole. I understand we're still to some degree seen as the 'new guys' but we're here to stay

JC
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:09 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

[QUOTE=JCR-Porsche;16619864]Volume is the difference, the non silenced sounds very very slightly sharper in pitch but thats just due to the nature of a silencer and its effect and tendency to soften the tone a touch.

From point of order to delivery currently is around 8 weeks for both silenced and non silenced systems. We have been inundated with orders on this system.

Thanks JC! Your openness is appreciated. I am hoping you’ll offer the Rennlist community a Group Buy...I am sure many others would jump on the opportunity
Old 05-12-2020, 04:25 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 226 Posts

JC
When do you expect to release your OPF delete and how loud compared will it be compared to a stock 981 GT4? Will you be replacing the entire mid-pipe section or just the OPF module itself?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2020, 04:37 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

I cant wait to get my car to start playing with it!

What could be useful to help us choose the perfect setup for our needs would be a table with dB comparo of silenced vs non-silenced race pipe alone and in combination with OPF delete pipes (and maybe with the stock 981 GT4 in the table for comparison). I want it loud but dont want to be above approved dB level at local track (I know a stock 981 GT4 is OK). Ideally I dont want to add the silenced tips!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:07 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

I may be wrong but it seems most of these designs may inhabit the rear diffuser from working properly.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
I may be wrong but it seems most of these designs may inhabit the rear diffuser from working properly.
I would be surprised that any of them are not designed to specifically fit under the stock rear diffusor tunnel and with all aero panels in place.

Anything that does would be a non-starter on these cars.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:37 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

With the huge size of the stock system I’m sure there is a lot of free space back there once JCR system is installed for a family of cats to reside!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:42 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2XIPA

JC
Old 05-13-2020, 04:43 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kart125
I cant wait to get my car to start playing with it!

What could be useful to help us choose the perfect setup for our needs would be a table with dB comparo of silenced vs non-silenced race pipe alone and in combination with OPF delete pipes (and maybe with the stock 981 GT4 in the table for comparison). I want it loud but dont want to be above approved dB level at local track (I know a stock 981 GT4 is OK). Ideally I dont want to add the silenced tips!
Ill build a table of info like we have for the 991 GT / Spyder products and post this afternoon

JC
Old 05-13-2020, 04:46 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
When do you expect to release your OPF delete and how loud compared will it be compared to a stock 981 GT4? Will you be replacing the entire mid-pipe section or just the OPF module itself?

Thanks!
OPF deletes imminently. As for volume we need to test with various rear silencers to build an accurate profile of how the dB’s are affected however I’m expecting 3/4dB louder with no OPF at WOT.

The complete OPF section is replaced with a Titanium OPF Delete. We will have three versions of our OPF delete, again all modular. Non silenced, Silenced & Race Catted (for use with our Inconel Race Manifolds which delete their factory cats

JC
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:29 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

...Silenced & Race Catted (for use with our Inconel Race Manifolds which delete their factory cats

JC
For a moment I thought that was catts and a silencer in the mid section.
I love this modular approach!

Last edited by GAZZ; 05-13-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point