Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 10:39 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Flacht6MT, in future I will post the links on this post
Old 04-30-2020, 10:54 AM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
Heres a recent one testing on the ring ,it sound so muted! https://youtu.be/atXy8buAgJE
Beyond muted, that's maybe the quietest test video I've ever watched. No question, something will need to be modded.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
Beyond muted, that's maybe the quietest test video I've ever watched. No question, something will need to be modded.
Muted? I think it sounds awesome. You can actually hear the sound being produced by the motor rather than a bunch of fake shouting on top of it. The downshift at :23 sounds fantastic. I think it's great that the new Spyder and GT4 sounds like a proper sports car rather than shouty snap crackle and pop band. That way, people who want the latter can go get it and the rest of us can enjoy the real soundtrack of intake and motor.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

Interesting that the PDK Spyder mule in that video has the GT4 scoops for the intakes.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:45 PM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Muted? I think it sounds awesome. You can actually hear the sound being produced by the motor rather than a bunch of fake shouting on top of it. The downshift at :23 sounds fantastic. I think it's great that the new Spyder and GT4 sounds like a proper sports car rather than shouty snap crackle and pop band. That way, people who want the latter can go get it and the rest of us can enjoy the real soundtrack of intake and motor.
Well said. You are not going to make fans but well said! Even with my aftermarket exhaust It still doesn't sound like Rice Krispies.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:47 PM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Interesting that the PDK Spyder mule in that video has the GT4 scoops for the intakes.
It will change, it's just for testing. There were many GT4 mules without scoops.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Awww, why did you point that out... now I need them on mine!

Old 04-30-2020, 04:51 PM
718GT4.0
User

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not saying it's not great for others, but personally, I want this car to sound as close to a Porsche race car as much as possible. Race cars are LOUD, and it's not all induction sound (which is great to have no doubt), but want all the crazy sound drama that can come from a FLAT 6. I want this car to sound like a proper GT3 race car with all the drama that entails -- this video shows me NONE of that, and therefore is sounding weak and muted.

And don't kid yourself that the GT department wanted the car to sound the way it does, they did the "best" they could with the emission blockade, so this isn't what the car should sound like ideally and anyone saying it's "pure" is kidding themselves.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:03 PM
alexk79
Advanced

Not saying it's not great for others, but personally, I want this car to sound as close to a Porsche race car as much as possible. Race cars are LOUD, and it's not all induction sound (which is great to have no doubt), but want all the crazy sound drama that can come from a FLAT 6. I want this car to sound like a proper GT3 race car with all the drama that entails -- this video shows me NONE of that, and therefore is sounding weak and muted.

And don't kid yourself that the GT department wanted the car to sound the way it does, they did the "best" they could with the emission blockade, so this isn't what the car should sound like ideally and anyone saying it's "pure" is kidding themselves.
Wouldn't that be awesome if the 718 GT4/Spyder sounded like a GT3!? But I'm sure it will be very close once the OPF is removed and sport cats are installed. We will know more next week as Schmid Motorsport are releasing a new fly by video with this exact setup.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:08 PM
718GT4.0
User

Originally Posted by alexk79
Wouldn't that be awesome if the 718 GT4/Spyder sounded like a GT3!? But I'm sure it will be very close once the OPF is removed and sport cats are installed. We will know more next week as Schmid Motorsport are releasing a new fly by video with this exact setup.
Agree!
I have no doubt with the OPF delete, and an exhaust mod of choice, everyone can have what they want for their preferred flat 6 sound- racey, sporty, or reserved. I even think without going as far as sport cats, you can still get to that amazing engine tone we all know the 4.0L has in it.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agree!
I have no doubt with the OPF delete, and an exhaust mod of choice, everyone can have what they want for their preferred flat 6 sound- racey, sporty, or reserved. I even think without going as far as sport cats, you can still get to that amazing engine tone we all know the 4.0L has in it.
The great part about the OPF delete here in North America is that we are not hurting the environment as it wasn't an active emission component and it such a simple pipe it should be very reasonable in cost!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:24 PM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The great part about the OPF delete here in North America is that we are not hurting the environment as it wasn't an active emission component and it such a simple pipe it should be very reasonable in cost!
Unfortunately eveyone gets an OPF/GPF. Ours are just not coated like the EU cars.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately eveyone gets an OPF/GPF. Ours are just not coated like the EU cars.
Yes but I won't feel bad removing these non-emissions pieces from the exhaust system!
The following users liked this post:
alexk79 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

It will change, it's just for testing. There were many GT4 mules without scoops.
Sure, it's just _interesting_ that they were put on there. Out of place. Not just for the sake of making us guess about it.
The following users liked this post:
alexk79 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 07:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Oh, I'm sure they wanted it to be louder, because that's what the market wants. Doesn't make it a 'real' race car sound, particularly if it's being generated by purposely shooting fuel into the exhaust.

Like I said, the benefit of this situation is that everyone gets what they want. Much easier to add the loud than remove the loud. I loved my 981, but the phony soundtrack was an annoyance that I would have preferred to live without.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point