Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:33 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

That looks almost like stock, gas from each bank mixes, but no equal length entry into a merge.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, mixing not ideal. This system will be loud on open and quiet on closed.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:27 AM
GAZZ
Pro

New Cargraphic version with a proper X merge. At least in the silenced section its got a good sized can.

CARGRAPHIC Sport Rear Silencer X-Pipe

Old 05-12-2020, 04:35 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Also:

CARGRAPHIC Sport Rear Silencer RACING

And:

CARGRAPHIC Sport Rear Silencer TOURING

Old 05-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
New Cargraphic version with a proper X merge. At least in the silenced section its got a good sized can.

CARGRAPHIC Sport Rear Silencer X-Pipe

So this looks interesting (and big?) so is this the one...
Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So this looks interesting (and big?) so is this the one...
I hope I’m proved wrong but it looks overly complicated and low quality. For the price difference I think JCR design, materials and build quality is better value.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DocMo
I hope I’m proved wrong but it looks overly complicated and low quality. For the price difference I think JCR design, materials and build quality is better value.
I like the JCR system as well, and the quality and materials used but the price is on a different level from this unit ($3074 US) as opposed to JCR ( $5680 US), nearly double.

For us Canadians it is even worse! JCR price: $8000 Cdn
Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by DocMo
I expect its the prototype, so not production welds. JCR is twice the price and made of Titanium alloy. This one is regular Stainless Steel.

In the open mode this one is straight through like the JCR, but it merges the two inputs, whereas the JCR uses only one feed.
In closes mode all the exhaust goes through the silencer/ muffler which has it own merge space.
Actually I think its a pretty good design and should make closed mode quiet and open much louder.
JCR is also a good design and has a smoother gas flow design and MUCH lighter weight.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

I expect its the prototype, so not production welds. JCR is twice the price and made of Titanium alloy. This one is regular Stainless Steel.

In the open mode this one is straight through like the JCR, but it merges the two inputs, whereas the JCR uses only one feed.
In closes mode all the exhaust goes through the silencer/ muffler which has it own merge space.
Actually I think its a pretty good design and should make closed mode quiet and open much louder.
JCR is also a good design and has a smoother gas flow design and MUCH lighter weight.
Our system merges both OPF exit points prior to the centre merge. All of the flow is back into the main pipe prior to the merge so regardless of valves open or closed the centre merge is seeing 100% of the exhaust flow.

Also, consider this system doesn't include tips when thinking about price (beyond the fabrication quality and materials used) Our system does include tips as the OEM tips are a massive restriction.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 05-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Our system merges both OPF exit points prior to the centre merge. All of the flow is back into the main pipe prior to the merge so regardless of valves open or closed the centre merge is seeing 100% of the exhaust flow.

Also, consider this system doesn't include tips when thinking about price (beyond the fabrication quality and materials used) Our system does include tips as the OEM tips are a massive restriction.

JC
So are you saying that this is also a merge point, open in the middle?

BTW, Kudo's for including tips!
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So are you saying that this is also a merge point, open in the middle?

BTW, Kudo's for including tips!
Yes, this is a merge with mixing from both banks. The cross section of the merge is super important. Ill see if I can grab a pic of the parts prior to welding to demonstrate.

The tips are a very important point from a costing perfective. We could make our system appear cheaper by allowing fitment of the OEM tips with our system but they just compromise the whole system and from a performance standpoint make it a pointless exercise so very early in the development we got rid of the stock tips and instead we have a V-band flange at that point to allow fitment of various tip designs we offer including silenced tips for those who need the ability to quickly reduce dB levels at the track

JC
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:49 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Further to above, some images i've just grabbed with parts in various phases of completion to demonstrate how the merge works

Marked prior to cutting

Mocked up..

Welded...

Finished centre...

Hopefully some of these images help demonstrate the quality fab work you should expect when the parts arrive.

Comparing our system to the Cargraphic option is really apples and pears in so many ways

JC
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Alpha Ice (11-20-2021), Westcoast (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM
GAZZ
Pro

^^^ Quality looks super good.

I have a question, could the JCR silencer which is used in the closed mode be bigger / more effective so that in this mode its more street-able? Im thinking I want to to run a dual mode exhaust in either open or closed mode, not dynamically changing like the OEM system does. There are a few remote control systems for the exhaust valves about.
Does either mode have any drone?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:10 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

The GPF, inert or not, will act as a muffler.
The following users liked this post:
JCR-Porsche (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:14 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^^^ Quality looks super good.

I have a question, could the JCR silencer which is used in the closed mode be bigger / more effective so that in this mode its more street-able? Im thinking I want to to run a dual mode exhaust in either open or closed mode, not dynamically changing like the OEM system does. There are a few remote control systems for the exhaust valves about.
Does either mode have any drone?
Our system uses inline silencers, they're 50mm internal diameter which is sufficient for flow and also effective enough from a silencing point of view. It would be possible to force the valves closed and run in this mode however its not something that we would recommend, the OPF already creates a significant amount of back pressure due to the design of the flange. It wouldn't be wise to add any restrictions as this would only exacerbate the issues. Hence why we ditched the OEM tips as that's like running a fire hose with a domestic sprinkler attachment fitted to the end.

Neither our silenced or non silenced system drones and neither is what I would consider to be loud. Our non silenced system is still below the max dB of a 100% stock 981 GT4 at WOT. The OPF is a very effective silencer in its own right.

JC

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point