Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:34 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Ill build a table of info like we have for the 991 GT / Spyder products and post this afternoon

JC
Super! Thanks.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

I’m sure you all want another sound clip about as much as another hole in the head, but I was able to finally listen to one of these cars in person today, so I thought I would share. This is a Canadian Spec model and the SA insists there are no OPF in the car, not even inert cells in place of the OPF. He says the chambers are empty “to save weight and cost”. I don’t know if that is true or not, but the car is not what I would call “quiet” and is quite raspy...at least from the exterior. It doesn’t sound like a GT3 either mind you, nor should it. Rev’d to only 4K rpm briefly.

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (09-24-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Sounds great to me. I keep watching all those Asian track videos of the 718GT4 on YouTube and I think the car sounds awesome.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:01 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

I know what it will sound like in my garage now.

the valves are open at low rpm, which is most of this video. The 4k rev happens against a cinder block wall so it’s a stretch to think about what that sounds like in real driving conditions.

I also think it’s highly likely that this is a case of a grossly misinformed SA. The Canadian cars aren’t going to magically get a full OPF bypass when overwhelming evidence states ROW gets an inactive matrix.
kart125 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:38 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

I’ll take the hole in the head please!

no offense to you personnally 4midable, but again, these videos (indoors/coldstart/different mike position...) dont tell anything about the exhaust sound... we need side by side outside videos of hot exhausts. I agree about the SA not knowing anything about OPF’s...
Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 PM
herragge
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
I’m sure you all want another sound clip about as much as another hole in the head, but I was able to finally listen to one of these cars in person today, so I thought I would share. This is a Canadian Spec model and the SA insists there are no OPF in the car, not even inert cells in place of the OPF. He says the chambers are empty “to save weight and cost”. I don’t know if that is true or not, but the car is not what I would call “quiet” and is quite raspy...at least from the exterior. It doesn’t sound like a GT3 either mind you, nor should it. Rev’d to only 4K rpm briefly.
https://youtu.be/pzR8_nBy8Us
My experience with hearing it in person on a Canadian spec car in Vancouver is similar to yours as well; I was pessimistic about the sound after hearing the euro models and thought we would be under the same doom however i'm cautiously optimistic now that we won't all necessarily need to go and get exhausts.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove both the 718 GT4 as well as 718 Spyder last week and really liked how they sounded from behind the wheel. They both roar great at idle but valves close almost immediately as you roll away and it gets very quiet for bystanders. They definitely sound muffled compared to the 981 even after they open up later in the rpm band. The Spyder with roof down sounded a lot louder than the GT4, I guess that was expected. Under full throttle past 5000 rpm they actually make great noise and in some way more mature without the artificial overruns. The valves seemed to open and close inconsistently at times when rolling around town, not sure what that was about and I hope by keeping them open at all times that may be enough for most of us to enjoy the car. I came away loving the experience and ordering a Spyder.
911F1 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

You can forget that sound clip above being representative of actual running noises, it only sounds like that for the first 30 seconds or so while it does the cat warm up procedure on cold start.
Same as the 981, but it goes for longer and sounds a slightly different. The car also does a mini warm-up procedure if it has cooled down somewhat, but not cold.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:10 AM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

wow. tough crowd.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:07 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
I drove both the 718 GT4 as well as 718 Spyder last week and really liked how they sounded from behind the wheel. They both roar great at idle but valves close almost immediately as you roll away and it gets very quiet for bystanders. They definitely sound muffled compared to the 981 even after they open up later in the rpm band. The Spyder with roof down sounded a lot louder than the GT4, I guess that was expected. Under full throttle past 5000 rpm they actually make great noise and in some way more mature without the artificial overruns. The valves seemed to open and close inconsistently at times when rolling around town, not sure what that was about and I hope by keeping them open at all times that may be enough for most of us to enjoy the car. I came away loving the experience and ordering a Spyder.
I highly recommend unplugging the vacuum lines to keep the valves open all time. It really is a no regret move and might be enough for many to be satisfied with the exhaust sound. It makes a significant difference below 4000 rpm in my Spyder while still being neighbors’ friendly.
DFW01TT (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

wow. tough crowd.
You get used to them
Unfortunately, your SA in misinformed. Like in America and Canada, South Africa get an OPF/GPF with an inactive matrix. Listen to this clip, the first car to arrive in SA with this system. Sounds good.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by alexk79
You get used to them
Unfortunately, your SA in misinformed. Like in America and Canada, South Africa get an OPF/GPF with an inactive matrix. Listen to this clip, the first car to arrive in SA with this system. Sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9kzjFMsAg

hey how how are you enjoying your new exhaust , any rolling sound?
Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sausage416
hey how how are you enjoying your new exhaust , any rolling sound?
I'm loving it.We are still in lockdown so it's extremely difficult to do some moving clips and drive by's without creating attention. It will be difficult to explain to the cops why this is an "essential service" . Hopefully that will change soon.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:15 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

wow. tough crowd.
ha! Sorry man, I guess I’m just twitchy in anticipation of getting and hearing the sound of my own car; anticipating the let down. Thanks for the clip! The more the better.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 AM
alexk79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
ha! Sorry man, I guess I’m just twitchy in anticipation of getting and hearing the sound of my own car; anticipating the let down. Thanks for the clip! The more the better.
Trust me, the sound won’t be a let-down. From the inside you hardly notice the difference to the 981. It sounds so great inside the cabin. The only let down is that you need to pay a little extra on aftermarket exhaust systems to make the 4.0L truly shine, and it will. You will love your car.
Jim Rockford (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point