Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
I'll put this right here...there's hope for non-opf cars afterall. Doesn't sound as good as a JCR exhaust mod, but damn good enough for NA stock cars. This certainly points to euro OPF cars are more muffled with the metal coating in the OPF canister.

Non OPF 718 GT4https://youtu.be/fA08PTEfb3s
Not the best video for anything other than the sound, you spend most of the time watching the driver, not much else. Additionally he makes a number of technically incorrect statements about the car, for example at about 9:50 he talks about the car stalling and over heating so the need to put it in neutral at a light to prevent it... I guess he doesn't know about auto stop/start!?

Too bad we don't get a shot of the exhaust system on the car but at least it does sound good!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:55 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not the best video for anything other than the sound, you spend most of the time watching the driver, not much else. Additionally he makes a number of technically incorrect statements about the car, for example at about 9:50 he talks about the car stalling and over heating so the need to put it in neutral at a light to prevent it... I guess he doesn't know about auto stop/start!?

Too bad we don't get a shot of the exhaust system on the car but at least it does sound good!
Totally agree, pretty bad reviewer overall, only good thing is it shows the sound generally well especially around 4:55.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

I found this, not sure what it sounds like: https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/po...valves.aspx#!/

The following users liked this post:
718GT4.0 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Go to 11:43 of video. This Spyder has tg3 filter. Not sure why people are complaining about sound.

The following users liked this post:
MRflat6 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Go to 11:43 of video. This Spyder has tg3 filter. Not sure why people are complaining about sound.
https://youtu.be/6Vj-HMj6c9I
I think I can live with that...
Old 02-18-2020, 11:34 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
https://youtu.be/6Vj-HMj6c9I
Good vid of the sound of the Spyder, thanks for sharing!

I think people still complain mainly because the old GT4 and even Spyder had the PSE exhaust which really sounded louder and 'raw-er', if you will. I still think that's the case, but the new GT4 doesn't sound bad at all and if anyone wants to uncork to the levels of other GT cars, there are going to be options up the wazoo...
Old 02-29-2020, 07:24 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

I took delivery of my 718 Spyder today. It does not have a Petroleum Particulate Filter. It does have speakers in the firewall behind the seats, so I assume it does have some form of Soundaktor / Symposer. I have made no attempt to tamper with this system.

The car is loud. It is a bit louder with Sports Exhaust on. It sounds the same as Spyder at Goodwood two posts above, and also the same as the review at post 90 in the shots where the driver is talking to camera. It does not sound like post 90's review shots from above down into the driver's lap. I assume this sound has been subject to distortion due to microphone placement.

So, assuming that Goodwood preview car was of geniune Euro specification, the European and South African (and my Australian) cars sound the same. The non-Euro cars might be louder. I am very impressed with my car's engine sound and I think North Americans who order this car will not be disappointed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antipodean:
718GT4.0 (02-29-2020), FASTRKMAN (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:14 AM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Antipodean
I took delivery of my 718 Spyder today. It does not have a Petroleum Particulate Filter. It does have speakers in the firewall behind the seats, so I assume it does have some form of Soundaktor / Symposer. I have made no attempt to tamper with this system.

The car is loud. It is a bit louder with Sports Exhaust on. It sounds the same as Spyder at Goodwood two posts above, and also the same as the review at post 90 in the shots where the driver is talking to camera. It does not sound like post 90's review shots from above down into the driver's lap. I assume this sound has been subject to distortion due to microphone placement.

So, assuming that Goodwood preview car was of geniune Euro specification, the European and South African (and my Australian) cars sound the same. The non-Euro cars might be louder. I am very impressed with my car's engine sound and I think North Americans who order this car will not be disappointed.
Nice! congrats on the Spyder. Do us a favor and drop a video of your car with a driveby from the outside revving it out in a gear or so (if you can yet). Let's hear the gloriousness of your Spyder!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats on receiving your new Spyder! A couple of questions if I may...

First, no recall or hold up because of the fuel rail issue?

Second, when you say no particulate filter, do you mean it is not there or simply without internal active coating, picture please.

Cheers!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:44 PM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

There was a further hold up of about two weeks because of the fuel line / flow sensor issue.

Exhaust system is standard non-Euro/China spec, so lacking the internal active coating and pressure sensors only. One would have to take off the diffuser / Venturi to get a complete look at all of this.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:22 PM
MRflat6
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a further hold up of about two weeks because of the fuel line / flow sensor issue.

Exhaust system is standard non-Euro/China spec, so lacking the internal active coating and pressure sensors only. One would have to take off the diffuser / Venturi to get a complete look at all of this.
China uses gasoline particulate filters, your car has it then per your post.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:17 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good that the fuel system issues is now corrected, no one would want a leak in that system!

As for the GPF, yes I forgot that it is well covered by the panels under the car, for a moment when you said not there , I though 'really' not there...

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-15-2020, 05:10 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Here’s one fresh off the digital press

At the 9min mark the car is filmed with a valved exhaust modification.

I have now heard varying understandings around how Porsche has programmed the exhaust valve actuation across the rev range.

Anyone have a definitive understanding of what is at play from the factory?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:18 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

all recent GT cars from porsche have a factory valve restriction If you watched cars with luke he properly explains the exhuast valving program from the factory and how to by-pass it from a company called sportec.
wish they release this nice mod for our cars for people who doesn't want to option to go aftermarket exhausts.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:23 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Autobahn blast sounds pretty good

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point