Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021 | 12:47 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Got the call yesterday for a 2022 Spyder allocation to be built in June. Excited and unexpected as I was thinking it would be next year. Need to finalize my config and decide which current car goes. Probably the Turbo.
The following 3 users liked this post by CDinSing:
dave2020 (04-04-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-04-2021), PorscheADD (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 04:40 AM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Got the call yesterday for a 2022 Spyder allocation to be built in June. Excited and unexpected as I was thinking it would be next year. Need to finalize my config and decide which current car goes. Probably the Turbo.
Congrats! For those who've gotten 718 Spyder allocations, are ADM's expected or is MSRP status quo?
Old 04-04-2021 | 09:27 AM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave2020
Congrats! For those who've gotten 718 Spyder allocations, are ADM's expected or is MSRP status quo?
Depends on your dealer. Mine sells every new car at MSRP.
Old 04-04-2021 | 10:05 AM
718JetGuy
AutoX

I think that BGTS in silver will look great. Had I not gotten an allocation for a Spyder that was my next pick in silver. I order the Spyder in the GT Silver. I think you love the GT Silver on that BGTS. Enjoy!!!
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021 | 11:32 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave2020
My dealer is an MSRP dealer for all my car experience with them. I am a local repeat customer, who maintains a good relationship with the dealership and I’m active in the local PCA region. Not sure if any of that influences pricing. For GT cars they usually have a list of local customers that are preferentially served. That said, they do sell to remote customers as well.
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:08 PM
Bahnbrenner
Advanced

It sounds like dealers have been handing out MY22 allocations over the past couple of weeks, which has me wondering....If I haven't gotten a call by now, how thin are my chances for ever getting a car?

I say "ever" because I've also been told that dealers typically receive GT car allocation for a particular model year all at once. I've also been told that they are given allocation quarterly, so I'm a little confused.

Net-Net: I understand that there are production issues and historically high demand, but I'm honestly nearing the point of abandoning my plans. I've aspired/worked towards GT car ownership since I was a kid, and I've patiently waited for long enough. There are a lot of ways one can spend $130K on a car, and lots of cars to choose from. This would be my first Porsche, and at 31 years old, one of many to come.
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:21 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bahnbrenner
It sounds like dealers have been handing out MY22 allocations over the past couple of weeks, which has me wondering....If I haven't gotten a call by now, how thin are my chances for ever getting a car?

I say "ever" because I've also been told that dealers typically receive GT car allocation for a particular model year all at once. I've also been told that they are given allocation quarterly, so I'm a little confused.

Net-Net: I understand that there are production issues and historically high demand, but I'm honestly nearing the point of abandoning my plans. I've aspired/worked towards GT car ownership since I was a kid, and I've patiently waited for long enough. There are a lot of ways one can spend $130K on a car, and lots of cars to choose from. This would be my first Porsche, and at 31 years old, one of many to come.
I don't think actual allocations (v200 build dates) are being distributed for the 2022 MY yet for GT4's, at least thats what my SA told me... what these folks are doing are called "demand orders" (v070) which is the step before actually getting a real allocation... I'm in the same boat as you though, if I don't go v200 by June I'm going to say screw it and go another route (been waiting since last summer)

Last edited by smegman; 04-09-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:23 PM
scottpez13
Advanced

The old saying "Time kills all deals". There are always thoughts about car brands preventing sales through "processes"
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:37 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

PCNA certainly has a dealer hierarchy. Some dealers get more allocations than others, for a myriad of reasons. If there's only a handful of allocations to hand out in total, then it stands to reason that some dealers will get 0 allocations, and some will get multiple. Special cars like this - it works the same from PCNA->Dealer as it does Dealer->Customer. Better dealers/customers get to the top of the list.

If you've been waiting a YEAR for a call? I'd say that either you're very low on a long waiting list by your dealer, and/or your dealer just isn't getting any allocations to begin with. I'm a big fan of "build a relationship with your dealer" but perhaps you've waited long enough, and it's time to find a different dealer.

Well I know with my local dealer, they got additional allocations for May builds (for 2021 model year) in March. So that doesn't align with what you've been told.
Old 04-09-2021 | 02:17 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Do you have a deposit down/ask your dealer how many orders are ahead of yours? It seems like only a few dealers are getting GT4 allocations right now. I'm first in line with deposits at 2 local dealerships and neither received allocations in March or April. If you are near the top of the list I wouldn't be too worried, I think you'll get a car eventually.
Old 04-09-2021 | 02:21 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Originally Posted by smegman
I don't think actual allocations (v200 build dates) are being distributed for the 2022 MY yet for GT4's, at least thats what my SA told me... what these folks are doing are called "demand orders" (v070) which is the step before actually getting a real allocation... I'm in the same boat as you though, if I don't go v200 by June I'm going to say screw it and go another route (been waiting since last summer)
My dealer didn't get anything in March and only got 1 BGTS allocation this month. They are hopeful for May. I do wonder if GT4 allocations are being released and my dealer just isn't getting any? But, I've only see a few posts of recent allocations and it seems like they were mostly in other parts of the world rather than US. Maybe the delay is due to the stop sale engine issue?
Old 04-09-2021 | 02:26 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

I got a call from my SA yesterday, but missed it. He left me a voicemail, I returned his call, no answer, left him a voicemail. No call back. Assuming it was for an allocation and he was calling down the list and I missed out...
Old 04-09-2021 | 02:27 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bob78h
My dealer didn't get anything in March and only got 1 BGTS allocation this month. They are hopeful for May. I do wonder if GT4 allocations are being released and my dealer just isn't getting any? But, I've only see a few posts of recent allocations and it seems like they were mostly in other parts of the world rather than US. Maybe the delay is due to the stop sale engine issue?
I would guess there is some sort of slow down with the stop sale issue... my dealer did get an allocation for me in march, but I am trying to do PTS and we couldn't do it then, so we're waiting for 2022 MY allocations to come out to attempt to do that, he said probably may or june for them (which does make sense with 3 month build times)... not sure how people are getting 2022 allocations yet
Old 04-09-2021 | 02:52 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
I got a call from my SA yesterday, but missed it. He left me a voicemail, I returned his call, no answer, left him a voicemail. No call back. Assuming it was for an allocation and he was calling down the list and I missed out...
Ouch, that would suck if true. But I can't see a dealer actually doing that if they care to build relationships. I don't think they're in such a rush to get the sale they'd screw over a customer for the sake of closing that day.
Old 04-09-2021 | 03:18 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

This past year, production shut downs from Covid and then following supply chain disruptions have led Porsche to being extremely tight with allocations and releasing them more often in much smaller quantities. MY22 is really just starting.

because of the supply issues, I don’t think anyone, even Porsche can actually answer your question. They intended to build many more 718 gt4s, but can’t. I expect they’ll build as many as they can, throughout 2022. 2023 ? Who knows ? We still haven’t seen the gt4rs yet so the 718 gt4 line definitely isn’t done.

Porsche’s big constraint is the production plans for all the other models. These are planned years out in advance and they have only a limited amount of time to catch up on production before it’s time for model change overs and other tooling issues. Kinda like what happened with the 911 R, where they couldn’t build more without delaying the entire 991.2 generation.

the entire car market is bat**** crazy now. Supply dried up last fall and demand has remained high. The stock market is doing a lot better than the microchip production.

if you really want one, start shopping around other dealers and offer ADM. Normally I’d suggest buying a nice car immediately (like a used Porsche of similar model) and then working towards the allocation for however long it takes. It’s less stressful when the problem is “I wish I got to spec it myself” than “I can’t drive my dream car”. Life is short, so don’t completely neglect to balance time vs money.

Unfortunately you’ll be jacked on price in the used market right now too. It’s a really bad time to be a buyer of cars or houses.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker