Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Looks a whole load better mate. My eye drawn immediately to the new tips. Those are worth every $$$$ IMO!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Looks a whole load better mate. My eye drawn immediately to the new tips. Those are worth every $$$$ IMO!
Yes agreed. The car is super grubby, so doesn't do justice. It looks smaller being lower and more purposeful. The rear archs are filled out beautifully.

Interested to see difference with new bushes, trans and engine mounts??

See you on Sunday....

John - do you have Scott and Mike's details - we need to drag these guys along too...

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes agreed. The car is super grubby, so doesn't do justice. It looks smaller being lower and more purposeful. The rear archs are filled out beautifully. Interested to see difference with new bushes, trans and engine mounts?? See you on Sunday.... John - do you have Scott and Mike's details - we need to drag these guys along too... . .
Scott is away at his Bach.

I don't have Mikes details. I think the only contact has been through the Rennlist forum.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Great evening at Uncles Paul . . perfect weather 2 x 996TT and 1 x 997TT, plus the usual rice buckets .. quite a small field so had unlimited track time really. John, you r right, those Z221 things grip to the point where you get cocky..actually hung the tail out on T2 when they finally let go. Yr cold pressures BTW were 28 front, 29 back.. I drove down there with 36/35 and lowered them after first session to 33 front, 35 back which got rid of the wiggles and understeer. They were over well 40 after 1 short session. No fun on the roads tho' loud and very directional.. I think good road tyres for the SITT given the milage you are all doing..envious...
You must have been working hard to get tail happy on Z221s with 4wd and PSM. Very addictive so hard to go back to squealing road tyres after tasting the grip track tyres give.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Bugger........... Glad you had fun. I don't think my car would have quite been ready. Just drove past Stu's now on my way to the airport and had a peep. All the suspension is in, just waiting on a replacement tire. Car is looking much better with new ride height. Look forward to driving with new suspension, chip and bushes. Should go quite well for a 'family car'. .
Looking good. I'll be interested to hear how it drives.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bugger........... Glad you had fun. I don't think my car would have quite been ready. Just drove past Stu's now on my way to the airport and had a peep. All the suspension is in, just waiting on a replacement tire. Car is looking much better with new ride height. Look forward to driving with new suspension, chip and bushes. Should go quite well for a 'family car'. .
Can't wait to ogle and drive it (hint)

Originally Posted by John McM
You must have been working hard to get tail happy on Z221s with 4wd and PSM. Very addictive so hard to go back to squealing road tyres after tasting the grip track tyres give.
Who runs with PSM on? I certainly always turn it off on the track. Slows you down and interferes with the fun. I've had a 4wd 911 hanging out in controlled slides at Mt Cotton Porsche Driving Experience. Great fun but really hard to do even on diesel with the PSM on.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PSM on or off for track

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Who runs with PSM on? I certainly always turn it off on the track. Slows you down and interferes with the fun. I've had a 4wd 911 hanging out in controlled slides at Mt Cotton Porsche Driving Experience. Great fun but really hard to do even on diesel with the PSM on.
Same. PSM scares me when really going for it. Nothing like PSM pushing the front wide in turn1 at HD and keeping the engine cut. You end up just drifting out wider while waiting for the car to hand control back over to you. Horrible feeling of disconnection. My PSM normally turns itself off fully by turn 3 anyway if I forget to turn it off. But I left it on for one session at the last sprints as a test and it lasted a few laps. Probably should have just gone a bit slower and smoother to allow for the PSM. Might well prefer it on in the wet though.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
mjg
Pro

It's my understanding that tou can't really turn it off in the 996 Turbo. The whole system comes back online as soon as you touch the brakes while outside the limits PSM would allow.

Sounds scary/broken if the system is failing and disabling itself!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
I reckon you could do a lot worse than a well sorted BMW 3 series at this point. Especially if you want a front engine rear wheel drive German car. But, My hunch is the porsche 944 will be nicer to own and you'll feel better about the thousands you'll put be putting into either platform anyway. hmmm maybe a porsche is always worth it...
As you say, I want a front engine RWD German car, hence my two choices. Also that's my thoughts on the process, once I have upgraded the suspension, put a cage in etc it's all sunk costs into this chassis, I'd be luckily to get half back, so I really want to be have the chassis I'm going to stick with form day dot.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjg
It's my understanding that tou can't really turn it off in the 996 Turbo. The whole system comes back online as soon as you touch the brakes while outside the limits PSM would allow.

Sounds scary/broken if the system is failing and disabling itself!
Broken yes, scary no. Typically the PSM and ABS fail lights come up together. Unlike the 'PSM Off' button on the dash, this error fully disables it - including under braking. Same effect can be had by pulling the PSM precharge pump plug under the bonnet - though I think that leaves ABS and the other functions below intact.

The ABS system overheating on track is the main suspect for the dreaded 'ice pedal' condition, where the brake pedal remains hard but you suddenly get no braking, so I don't mind losing that too much.

The only annoying part is that when ABS goes down, you also lose the e-locking of the rear diff (e-LSD) and the ABS/PSM mediated front rear braking bias. Would get better times if those stayed on.

PSM has scared me a few times on road too - typically when it cuts engine power when merging into traffic from a steepish driveway. It won't give you power until the car settles itself after the bumpy turn. This move is safer and easier with PSM off. Really caught me by surprise the first time. I thought it had stalled or something.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjg
I've also seen it suggested that the 996T's PSM turns itself off when the input values fall outside of the factory's valid expected range (kind of a self-check to disable itself if it malfunctions). Driven hard with stickier tyres than those available 15 years ago, this could be a possibility. I was very surprised to see the PSM stay on throughout at least one stage of the Targa Tour, though it died within a corner or two at Pukekohe so it may be related to excess lateral Gs or something. The tour roads were fairly slippery, especially the intersections. I am not anti ABS (except on grit/gravel) and would love a Bosch race system BTW (anyone got one laying around?).
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM
mjg
Pro

That'd be a nice system to have, but at $8-12k US plus installation it's a bit out of my mod budget.

I see Fiat have announced a non-limited-edition track-prepped 500, the Abarth 695 biposto, which includes a 5-speed dog box and real LSD! Hello, Porsche? Give us that, not some nana PDK video games!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just doing some reconnaissance works boys - I look forward to being here for real very shortly:
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought you were working? I'll get some shots of Levels tomorrow if I get time but I really should be working.....
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just doing some reconnaissance works boys - I look forward to being here for real very shortly:
Wow, this is close to my old base, Wigram.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?