Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

More footage chasing gt3 from 1 min back
Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Its also why I don't Targa a Pcar - So I can just go down to the wrecker and find a few bits like hubs and suspension arms
I can understand that. :-) What is your Targa car setup Graeme? Were you in the rally or the tour?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug, I have only ever run in the rally except in 2004 when I had my first Targa experience co driving for someone else and when we had mechanical problems and withdrew I picked up my road car and drove 2. 1/2 days on the tour with the original driver then co driving for me. That's what got me going and first drove the rally 2007.

I am running an early Subaru platform now - a GC8 from the heyday of Subaru's WRC days, with a wide body 22B kit on it. It is lighter then the later cars and although the factory platform is a bit floppy I figured that with a full cage tied into the front strut towers that would compensate. all the mechanical parts are pretty much interchangeable wit the later cars. So the development work from the bug eye is carried over. It takes a while to get things sorted and budget on development is always incremental like Macca's 993 so its always best to keep the path going rather than change cars. Had a blown head gasket on Targa 2013 nd had to pull out with overheating so am now rebuilding with a strengthened closed deck block

The only problem is the technology leap to modern cars is pretty great
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A 964 C4 import for $32K

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-699692488.htm
Old 02-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ I remember the car when I was living in Wellington 12 years ago. It was very tidy then, no idea about now but the service history looks very encouraging. It has genuine OEM Cup 1 wheels (quite rare and increasing in value), also the tear drop mirrors. Frankly, just for a daily driver its an absolute steal at 30K NZD. They just keep getting cheaper. We should start a pool, put in 5K each and buy the good ones, throw them in a warehouse for 10 years and sell them for double the money to the UK when the NZD craps itself again!

Nice car, nice colour, nice spec - will need a top end if it hasnt had one in the next 30-40k km possibly and bottom end maybe who knows when...

Surely someone we know is looking for a 964?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Doug, I have only ever run in the rally except in 2004 when I had my first Targa experience co driving for someone else and when we had mechanical problems and withdrew I picked up my road car and drove 2. 1/2 days on the tour with the original driver then co driving for me. That's what got me going and first drove the rally 2007. I am running an early Subaru platform now - a GC8 from the heyday of Subaru's WRC days, with a wide body 22B kit on it. It is lighter then the later cars and although the factory platform is a bit floppy I figured that with a full cage tied into the front strut towers that would compensate. all the mechanical parts are pretty much interchangeable wit the later cars. So the development work from the bug eye is carried over. It takes a while to get things sorted and budget on development is always incremental like Macca's 993 so its always best to keep the path going rather than change cars. Had a blown head gasket on Targa 2013 nd had to pull out with overheating so am now rebuilding with a strengthened closed deck block The only problem is the technology leap to modern cars is pretty great
Wow, thanks for all the details Graeme. Very interesting! I enjoyed watching the video and hearing and seeing your co-driver in action. This morning sean, chris (with Pete) and myself (with Paul) did a run through some of the roads where we think they'll run the Ecolight Targa Tour next Sunday. It's my first taste. Paul has co-driven before and was coaching me on what it is like which was very helpful. Excited and apprehensive at the same time :-P
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I have just got home from a superb 400km all day Ron Sunday Run. It was great fun. Some amazing roads and beautiful country on our door step. Had lunch at Pirongia. Ron's planning and the route is amazing. I'm very lucky to be able to experience it. I ran Motion-X iPhone app which records the route on a map you can zoom in so I could possibly take RSG on it one day. My Boxster seemed to be about the oldest in the group but kept up well. A bit knackered at the end of about 4.5 hours of fabulous spirited driving. Macca, John and Matt - the first half of today's route is the start of Ron's route to Havlock North on the SITT. It's going yo be good. I tried running with no aircon today to get a feel for it in prep for the 964 :-). In 25 degrees it was hot so I ran most of it with the roof down. Bit wind burnt tonight. Photo 2 is a selfie in the Boxster from my Hokianga run a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I have just got home from a superb 400km all day Ron Sunday Run. It was great fun. Some amazing roads and beautiful country on our door step. Had lunch at Pirongia. Ron's planning and the route is amazing. I'm very lucky to be able to experience it. I ran Motion-X iPhone app which records the route on a map you can zoom in so I could possibly take RSG on it one day. My Boxster seemed to be about the oldest in the group but kept up well. A bit knackered at the end of about 4.5 hours of fabulous spirited driving. Macca, John and Matt - the first half of today's route is the start of Ron's route to Havlock North on the SITT. It's going yo be good. I tried running with no aircon today to get a feel for it in prep for the 964 :-). In 25 degrees it was hot so I ran most of it with the roof down. Bit wind burnt tonight. Photo 2 is a selfie in the Boxster from my Hokianga run a couple of weeks ago.
Doug. Great update. Im very jealous, I miss Rons Sunday drives the most. Yes it can be tiring driving fast all day, that's why Ive opted for the shorter route to Franz Joseph! Ron is great as he keeps a consistent moderate pace without getting lost and he chooses the best unpopulated routes. His leading takes all the hassle out of it for us, and we are ALWAYS the oldest car in that group and NEVER have we had any trouble keeping up at all - so I dont expect any issues with the hardcore track rats in our group doing the same.

I figure for a guy like you who likes to do some fast back road driving the Targa Tour will be a wet dream come true. It was for me. It was like Rons drives dialed up by 30-50% and I just loved it. I was apprehensive at first too, had plenty of practice growing up in Titirangi of driving fast around tight corners and over blind brows but the duration of the pace takes a little getting used too and not many were holding back. The intro course sounds like a nice soft way to break into it and the boxster is the right weapon for the job until you become more familiar with the older 911 platform. After your introduction Tour I guarantee youll be signing up for the fully fledged deal!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^^^^ Thanks Macca. The little bit I did this morning chasing Chris in his Turbo (with his new exhaust and chip) was brilliant. To think you can use the whole road and there's no fear of finding cyclists, cars, or anything else on the road as you round a corner is going to make it amazing. I feel like i enjoy fast road work more than the track, although, only just. I suspect you will be right. Paul thought so this morning in the passenger seat for the first time with me. I'm grateful to his experience and support to get me over the first hurdle.

I'm surprised more of the RSG clan aren't giving this a go.

I've got new R888's on my 17" track wheels which, after today, I'll use on the light Targa Tour. I should have taken them out today to scrub them off. Might drive down to HD on Weds with them on to do this.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

That's a long day. Good practice for Targa and the SITT. Have we got the daily mileage right for our two trips? My day was less exciting. Put the Turbo 3.6 into deep sleep after a wash and quick drive to dry. It isn't worth driving on a seized shock and the C4 is the priority over the next couple of months. Also sorted out the garage. Some hard decisions made to fill the skip. Champing at the bit now to get the C4 back and prepare it for Wednesday's Twilight. Doug I've got your "Cape Reinga to Bluff" decal. Are you sure you want to put "eat track sleep repeat" on your car? If so that leaves one spare. As we're in different groups I can't fit decals and banner on Wednesday. Have to find another day before the pre SITT.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 02-23-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 AM
O2GO
Drifting

PS Thanks for introducing me to Ron's drives Macca. While you missed today, not long to wait for the SITT now. Now, to twist your arm again! Join Sam for the Waipu/Langs run on Sunday 9th March. I think you land the night before and you'll be busting to fire up the 933, right?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^ Thanks Macca. The little bit I did this morning chasing Chris in his Turbo (with his new exhaust and chip) was brilliant. To think you can use the whole road and there's no fear of finding cyclists, cars, or anything else on the road as you round a corner is going to make it amazing. I feel like i enjoy fast road work more than the track, although, only just. I suspect you will be right. Paul thought so this morning in the passenger seat for the first time with me. I'm grateful to his experience and support to get me over the first hurdle. I'm surprised more of the RSG clan aren't giving this a go. I've got new R888's on my 17" track wheels which, after today, I'll use on the light Targa Tour. I should have taken them out today to scrub them off. Might drive down to HD on Weds with them on to do this.
I thought about it, but then decided I need more seat time to get the driving basics to the point of being automatic. When I get to 1:19 at HD I guess I'll be at that point and need new challenges. Right now I'm leaning to track racing, something like 2k cup.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^ I feel like i enjoy fast road work more than the track, although, only just. .

I'm surprised more of the RSG clan aren't giving this a go.

I too enjoy a great fast road drive more than the track. Not every outing mind, but you know the ones were you get some great empty windy roads and a good pace up. The Targa hand down is better than track (for me) every single closed stage second. I still cant believe we get the opportunity to do this stuff!

Im also curious as to why more of us arent keen to experience the Targa Tour - even the two day Rotorua event. It really does fit into the spirit of RSG.

I just think there's alot of "stories" out there about it being risky and dangerous. Given 4 expensive accidents at the track this year in the RSG group (5 if you include Petes blown engine as a result of tracking), the Targa is a very controlled event that you can do at your own pace, its one at a time, not a race and not a timed event. You can even take your grandmas car in it as log as it has WOF and Rego! I mean, its always going to have an element of risk, but its not any large magnitude of risk greater than circulating the track IMO. But then again we all have different personal levels of risk. I live in a developing world country where its often more hazardous to drive to town return than circulate HD a lap, so I probably am not the best to be talking on this subject!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ I remember the car when I was living in Wellington 12 years ago. It was very tidy then, no idea about now but the service history looks very encouraging. It has genuine OEM Cup 1 wheels (quite rare and increasing in value), also the tear drop mirrors. Frankly, just for a daily driver its an absolute steal at 30K NZD. They just keep getting cheaper. We should start a pool, put in 5K each and buy the good ones, throw them in a warehouse for 10 years and sell them for double the money to the UK when the NZD craps itself again! Nice car, nice colour, nice spec - will need a top end if it hasnt had one in the next 30-40k km possibly and bottom end maybe who knows when... Surely someone we know is looking for a 964?
It does look like a good starting point. If I had the space AND the ability to do my own work I'd be tempted. I'm going to watch Chris M's build closely. I'd like to take a road 964 and go extreme on weight reduction. The parts taken off would be sold to fund some upgrades.

Macca, you said the tip on the Targa was fast. Could a bare bones tip push it at HD?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. The tipo 964 (bog standard) driven on the Targa Tour 2012 (it only entered the last 2 days of the event - the Hawkes Bay stages can be run just as a 2 dayer) was surprisingly quick. I was warned however that the driver was a quick driver and had been running it in the previous three years events. It wasn't able to pace the 993 (but I wasnt expecting it too either), but I drove both ahead and behind it during the Gentle Annie 1 + 2 stages and was quite suprised at how effective it was. The owner (John?) told me he had it for years and had learnt to hit the up shift button about 1.5 seconds sooner than he needed it. No chance of an over rev either! That said I think the system would be too slow for a track assault car...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?