Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
lost wireless as was posting this so hope it isn't posted twice.

well long bonnet or not? I have spent my $ and don't regret anything but you have to be realistic as to use. If a gt3 isn't a DD then almost certainly a long bonnet will get wearisome after a while too. My thoughts - the plusses
1) an old car needs to be done well so start with a realistic budget otherwise there will be disappointment.
2) the drive I find great tho I haven't pushed the boundaries yet. the lightness (1000kg) and narrow tyres (period size 215 but modern compound on the back) mean the balance is felt straight away without having to drive the nuts off it on the road like you would a modern car on 265-305 sizes and much lower profiles. No power steer gives more weight and feel too.
3) Most ppl consider the 915 gearbox the weakness in these cars. The shift length is certainly longer by far even with a factory short shift kit. Mine has no Wevo parts but once on the move the shift is great. Far better than many others I have driven. So you have to get the box and linkages set up by someone that knows these things. The only thing is occasionally hard to find first straight away but that may be a familiarity thing.
4) Its a 40+ year old car but doesn't feel it. Again it has to be done well. Otherwise compared to a modern car you will knit pick the faults every time you drive it. The shut lines are good and the doors shut with that beautiful thunk.
5) if you want a DD then consider a backdate using EFI/motoric like the Autohaus Hamilton car discussed a while back on this thread. Easier to maintain and keep in tune. My motor is a little extreme but not hard to drive. Just a little shunty below 2k revs but the upside is it climbs up onto the cam at 5k too.
6) There is no doubt that the appreciation of these 'classics' is broadening and deepening. A good T commands big money now and members of the public off the street look at these cars in a different way to a modern car.
7) I can imagine keeping this car for a long time.
and the minuses
1) Do I add any more modern conveniences - aircond (adds weight) sound system (adds weight) or keep it period
2) noisy - tho part of that is the motor/exhaust spec. Could add sound deadening (adds weight)
3) Not a DD really - back date an EFI/motronic and add sound and air

Doug I had a Boxster S DD like yours If you can keep it. Its a completely different experience top up/down at the push of a button. Might need to get one back one day - Ruf 3.8 anyone?
That's good info. Your long hood sounds really we'll put together. I'd love to see it some day. The plan for a long hood build is to have 3.2 underpinnings so that it can be reasonably easily used. I don't have a lot of 911 experience but I recall my first drive in one in the late 80's was a 911 T and was impressed with the turbine like smoothness and the really good ride. It seemed fast at the time compared to normal cars of the day. I've driven a few SC's and 915 3.2's and they were similarly impressive in terms of smoothness and ride. So, a long hood that has the look and drives like an 80's carrera might be the trick.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
My current car is the second car I've owned...
Good effort for a second car.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Steve may have some ideas although Id suspect the race cars have plenty more ventilation in the engine bay.

Dave Im not sure wetheer to be more impressed with your harem of car ownership or Jakes lack thereof? He can use age and a skate board as an excuse, but fair to say Im glad your addiction is cars not women as it may have cost a pretty penny more! Remind me to ask you however about what to but next as a daily driver as it seems you probably will have owned it at some stage!

Merry Xmas all.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Put me down for around 15 cars. Im afraid the 8 years in Vanuatu has stinted my record (same two cars for 8 years bought new and now looking as shabby as the roads!). Also had a great affinity with the WRX before the boy racers spoilt the image - great cars! The Dixom brothers picked up an "original" 1995 and ran it in two years targa Tour and it was 100% reliable and pretty quick. They changed the brake discs, pads, fluids and shocks and have it a big service. I think it owed them 8K to but and about hald as much to prepare. Makes damn good sense when the wheels and tyres on my 993 cost almost as much as there base car. If I had teh space, time etc Id buy an old Wrx for the Tour!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Merry Xmas in Monaco?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and New Year, wherever you are. Has been a pleasure meeting you all in person and on this forum. Avoid the hazardous drivers on the roads and have a fantastic summer (or GT3 centric winter) holiday!

Originally Posted by Maxem
Good effort for a second car.
Spent majority of my life not owning a car. On moving to Auckland I decided I needed one and also needed to make up for lost time not driving, so bought a Golf. Realised I'd make up for lost expenses before making the time, so talked the dealer I bought it from into buying it back (too many $500 visits) and picked up the 911T. Is much more fun! Best birthday present I've ever given myself.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Christmas everyone. Couldnt sleep much last night. Strange bed and old 911s going around in my head :-)

Impressed Jake that your number 2 is such a keeper
Old 12-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Merry Xmas from Monaco!

Its raining as it does at Xmas!

I saw 8 x 458s today, 4 x F12, Porsches are as common as much but spotted a lovely early 993 C4 just looked right - best shape they made IMO. Z8, Riolls Royce Silver Wraith x 7 etc etc. Its a bit OTT really. Havent seen another GT3 today....enjoy
Attached Images        
Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Happy Christmas everyone. Couldnt sleep much last night. Strange bed and old 911s going around in my head :-) Impressed Jake that your number 2 is such a keeper
Doug, this is becoming a Gruppe sickness. Maybe Steve subconsciously planted the seed with his NITT choice and the itch that must be scratched is surfacing now.

I love travelling domestic small planes as I get to walk the Tarmac and smell the burning kerosene. It reminds me of my Airforce days. The old Porsche smell is just as powerful. Hot oil, leather. It evokes emotions with each drive. I'm stuck in a time warp, happily. I know they're old world performance, although Steve was no slouch, but I don't care. Just be warned as Graeme said, to be done properly requires a sizable and sufficient budget. I'm doing mine bit by bit. Come back in a few years and you may see it backdated. In the meantime it will be driven and slowly sorted. The list of repairs is already large. Eye wide open stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2013, 04:42 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Merry Christmas all!

My present arrived yesterday & hope to find out Friday it's ready for compliance!

So I had to add up my list of cars after reading this ... I've been a bit of a serial swapper and know the feeling of wanting to find that magical keeper. Porsches have come closest, but still trying to make good on the whole fantasy. The 964 is one of the longest ownerships I've had at almost 5 years now as I've tried to get it closer to that vision... I almost hate to admit the things I think I want to do to it.

I'm at 21 ... shortly more. Damn. So what age should we use to calculate yearly run rate? My first purchase was at 18.

C
Old 12-24-2013, 05:09 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 2.8 years per car. Dave's going to nail that -ha ha
66 Hilman Super Minx, 72 Fiat 125, Fiat 128, company cars: Mazda 323, new 323, new 323, new 323, new 626, new commodore Berlina wagon v6, private: new commodore Berlina Wagon v8, (caught the v8 bug,) 2003 Porsche Cayenne S (current), (caught the Porsche bug), 2002 Boxster, 2007 Boxster S, next?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:41 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had 4cars, still got the last 3!! Datsun 200b, Subaru svx, Toyota surf and the 997. I'm a hoarder....
Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca will win this competition, followed by Pete.

For my sin's I've had a Mini Clubman, Mazda 323 DOCH Turbo (death trap with too much HP that I rolled), MGB roadster x 2, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic Vtec (fab car that was lowered), Ford Telstar TX5 XRi, new Ford Mondeo (company car), then I discovered Audi wagons and have been in love ever since, starting with a 1.8T, then an S4 2.7 TT, now a S4 V8, and Jen has an A6 allroad V8...........

I purchased the the 911 C3 about 6 years ago and the 993 C2 2 weeks ago...........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-24-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

We've played this game before so it's a cut and paste for me. 17 vehicles over 34 years of riding and driving.

Kawasaki 90 (re-engined as a hack bike by a racer who later lost his life at Manfield - hit somewhere in pit lane in the late '70s)
1964 Austin Cambridge
Honda XR250
Suzuki GS450
1977 Hillman Hunter - auto
1977 Mini - I fitted quite easily
1978 Alfa Sud - LHD
1983 Mitsubishi Cordia turbo
Mazda 929 Ltd
1988 Peugeot 405SRI
Corolla (Vanuatu)
Mazda ute (Vanuatu) no air con
Hyundai elantra (Vanuatu)
Porsche Turbo 3.6
Porsche 996 TT
VW Golf GTI
Porsche 964 C4

I've paid my dues with some real heaps of s$&t. The worst was the Hunter. 20km/hr across the desert road in the hills.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
We've played this game before so it's a cut and paste for me. 17 vehicles over 34 years of riding and driving.

Kawasaki 90 (re-engined as a hack bike by a racer who later lost his life at Manfield - hit somewhere in pit lane in the late '70s)
1964 Austin Cambridge
Honda XR250
Suzuki GS450
1977 Hillman Hunter - auto
1977 Mini - I fitted quite easily
1978 Alfa Sud - LHD
1983 Mitsubishi Cordia turbo
Mazda 929 Ltd
1988 Peugeot 405SRI
Corolla (Vanuatu)
Mazda ute (Vanuatu) no air con
Hyundai elantra (Vanuatu)
Porsche Turbo 3.6
Porsche 996 TT
VW Golf GTI
Porsche 964 C4

I've paid my dues with some real heaps of s$&t. The worst was the Hunter. 20km/hr across the desert road in the hills.
Good to see an Alfa in there.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?