Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, I went searching for connectors to hard wire power to the GoPro. By the time you have bought cables/connectors etc and hacked into the wiring harness you will have spent a lot of time and money.

Far better solution IMO is to buy a power bank. And use that to power the GoPro. It will also do phones, AIM etc.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. I just bought a 3 meter mini usb to USB cable on ebay from china for $5.99 including shipping to New Zealand and a $5 Cig lighter adaptor (fused) with USD port on the back (have quite a few of these kicking around these days as iPhone etc use them). The GT3 has 4 cig points including one in the centre console so thats easy. The 993 I have a 1 into 2 splitter for that car.

Your the electrical guy so tell me if I cocked up with above but figured it would work fine.

I did by the extended battery so will likely just use that as Im not a fan of many wires, it gives apparently 1.5-2 hours recording with wifi which is about what I get on a 32GB SD (1hr 44m at my settings) so I figure thats all I need really. These days I just turn teh camera on and off with the remote for 2-3 minute blasts as its boring and time consuming editing 10 GB of average footage. And where to store it all? We now have separate storage for 200GB of goPro videos!

Make sure you do the latest software patch for wifi as it does improve the battery like by around 10-15%...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. I just bought a 3 meter mini usb to USB cable on ebay from china for $5.99 including shipping to New Zealand and a $5 Cig lighter adaptor (fused) with USD port on the back (have quite a few of these kicking around these days as iPhone etc use them). The GT3 has 4 cig points including one in the centre console so thats easy. The 993 I have a 1 into 2 splitter for that car. Your the electrical guy so tell me if I cocked up with above but figured it would work fine. I did by the extended battery so will likely just use that as Im not a fan of many wires, it gives apparently 1.5-2 hours recording with wifi which is about what I get on a 32GB SD (1hr 44m at my settings) so I figure thats all I need really. These days I just turn teh camera on and off with the remote for 2-3 minute blasts as its boring and time consuming editing 10 GB of average footage. And where to store it all? We now have separate storage for 200GB of goPro videos! Make sure you do the latest software patch for wifi as it does improve the battery like by around 10-15%...
Looks fine. I just went down to JB Hifi. Maybe I should have gone down to Jaycar or got on the Ali site.

Anyway, I'm now sorted. Cars are starting to have the same issue as houses in that power supplies are not enough in older models.

What quality of Card do you use? Class 10 16 gb with 45mbps is $27. Sandisk with 20mbps is $59 for the same capacity. We just need class 10, right?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. You spoke too soon!

Its official the GT3 will not come on the SITT.

Ive just got off the phone from the compliance officer at the the testing station. Theres me thinking a new car should be a breeze. It is if you are EMD. If you are Jo Blow then you will be earning your surname getting compliance done in a jiffy!

Long story short they have to either take panels out of the car to confirm things like seatbelt configuration/spec, adjustable suspension could be a problem (will need a letter from someone official to prove its factory etc). Basically no way it can be done in less than a week even with lip service.

So the 993 is on the tour and we will be departing with the team! Graeme is right not worth spoiling a trip for. I will definitely be taking it on the NITT instead...as I now have a brand new set of tires heading to NZ so need to use up the Cup2s he he!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Hey Matt - just checking in - do you need wheels transported for the SITT? Can't recall.
Ah yeah, sorry I hadn't said either way. I had been considering sourcing a set of road tyres to run on and shipping my current Z221s, but I think it'll be easier if I just put a brand new set of Z221s on my spare wheels and run those for the entire event and use the remainder of my current Z221s up at local days.

Bugger about the GT3 Macca! At least you know now and can make definite plans for the 993 and not be on the fence right up until the last minute.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know how to convince a certifier that Bilstein HD's & H&R springs are not considered adjustable suspension even though there are threads intended for minor adjustments? They're pushing for an LVV cert because of them.

They've also managed to disable my fogs and activate the airbag light since I left it with them.

Also informed my lights dip the wrong way even though I personally put in the correct lenses.

I can fix all that, just not the suspension issue. Feels like I got someone first day on the job.

C
Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. I will PM you now with a suggestion here. Have just been discussing similar with Dean at CCS...

From what Ive learnt today increasingly becoming nervous of this process!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive just got off the phone from the compliance officer at the the testing station. Theres me thinking a new car should be a breeze. It is if you are EMD. If you are Jo Blow then you will be earning your surname getting compliance done in a jiffy!

Long story short they have to either take panels out of the car to confirm things like seatbelt configuration/spec, adjustable suspension could be a problem (will need a letter from someone official to prove its factory etc). Basically no way it can be done in less than a week even with lip service.

So the 993 is on the tour and we will be departing with the team! Graeme is right not worth spoiling a trip for. I will definitely be taking it on the NITT instead...as I now have a brand new set of tires heading to NZ so need to use up the Cup2s he he!
A business associate of mine recently got in a new Maserati from the UK and apparently there is some dispensation available for new cars where the interior trim doesn't have to be pulled out. He was worried about having grubby handed testing station folk busting things and found a way around having to do that. I will email him to see what happened.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Anyone know how to convince a certifier that Bilstein HD's & H&R springs are not considered adjustable suspension even though there are threads intended for minor adjustments? They're pushing for an LVV cert because of them.

They've also managed to disable my fogs and activate the airbag light since I left it with them.

Also informed my lights dip the wrong way even though I personally put in the correct lenses.

I can fix all that, just not the suspension issue. Feels like I got someone first day on the job.

C
Welcome to NZ...
I carry this photo of the standard 964 suspension (I think it is standard but don't really know) with me on the slight chance I might need it one day to convince someone in a position of Authority that my aftermarket suspension is no different to how it came from the factory - with adjustable platforms.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Peter, I'm good. I'll run with a new set of Z221s from Auckland so no need for a second set of rims etc. I may take one of each of the old ones just in case, but I can fit those in the car.

BTW: 4 rims and 4 tyres all fitted in my wife's GTI. It's like the Tardis.
Haha, how do you rate the GTI?
In my Mk1 GTI I can have 4 track tyres in the boot with the back seats up.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Mark, Matt and I might know a friendly compliance guy who more than likely not pull the car apart. Only problem is we are in Napier. Maybe you can grab a Dealer plate, drive the GT3 down here on the NITT and pick it up on the way home?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
A business associate of mine recently got in a new Maserati from the UK and apparently there is some dispensation available for new cars where the interior trim doesn't have to be pulled out. He was worried about having grubby handed testing station folk busting things and found a way around having to do that. I will email him to see what happened.
Thanks David. I do have that angle covered. If you dont want the trim panels removed you have to wait for Thursday when the Vehicle Trim Inspector comes pays a visit and may (or may not) give you a stamp of approval. Just got off the phone from Chris and he is meeting said gentleman tomorrow about his 964. I can only imagine they will do a flip when they see the half cage installed.

NZ new vehicles do not have to have an entry certification inspection. They load everything onto the LTSA computer and go straight to MR2A stage (get your plates and Rego). This is how a 991 GT3 that entered NZ on the 6th Jan got to the owners hands within 6 days end to end.

Unfortunately same rules dont apply to Mr J Blow. Even if the car hasnt turned a wheel since it was manufactured.

It seems NZ bureaucracy has created a monster in this industry since I last had a BMW M5 imported in late 2005. You can ask Chris later but I suspect with additional costs thsi process creates its not viable for anything otehr than a cherished classic or a Porsche...
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Mark, Matt and I might know a friendly compliance guy who more than likely not pull the car apart. Only problem is we are in Napier. Maybe you can grab a Dealer plate, drive the GT3 down here on the NITT and pick it up on the way home?
Thanks for the offer Nik, kind of you. I suspect in the end Ill just let the process take its course and hopefully when I get back from the SITT two weeks later it is sitting on plates in my driveway (not that it will be much use to me as I will be flying out a few days after!).

I always accepted that I probably couldnt do a month with it in Europe and get away with also doing 6000 km with it in SI. In honesty its probably the best outcome as the 993 is for keeps and I really love adding places and experiences to that car - plus I have plenty of learning yet to do in her to improve my track craft, and I was always very concious that although the GT3 may make me the fastest guy at the track it would not improve my driving to anywhere near the degree the 993 will. Truth be told I promised myself I wouldn't even take the GT3 to the track until I had at least another half a dozen track days under my belt and could really judge if I was good, medium or crap!

Sometimes fate deals a hand and its the better one. Hope so! Old girl just needs to hold together for a SITT and a Targa NZ this year (12000km) yikes!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Haha, how do you rate the GTI? In my Mk1 GTI I can have 4 track tyres in the boot with the back seats up.
Nik, I don't drive it much. We went to buy an Audi SW and my wife saw a NZ new Mk5 GTI with the tail up and said it was just as usable as a SW. She also wanted leather seats. Which hers has. At 6' 4" I fit in the passenger seat. As stated it also takes a lot of tyres and wheels.

Ocassionally I do drive it. It quite hard riding and certainly has some go. Maybe a bit too short wheelbase to take to the track and feel comfortable for me. At $22k and 62,000 km one owner it seemed like a relative bargain. No issues in the last year. Wish the C4 was as reliable!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?