Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds great guys. If someone picks supplies up for me much appreciated and will fix up on the day. Suspect ill still be a bit jetlagged.
Pete sounds like Porsche goodness is all going to come at once for you in latr feb. Very exciting. Are you taking cayman or 44 on SITT?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John I'd go with what you know and trust for such a big trip. Assuming you don't push too hard on track a fresh set of medium C50 235/295 x 18 as matt has will just do the job IMO and for under 2k fitted most other options would seem false economy unless you want a more road oriented solution in which case go mich super sport for around same money landed. One set of wheels will definaztely make logistics a whole tonne easier. Would love to start from the cape but right now will struggle as only have 4 days before we head south and frankly having it ready looking very 50/50...
Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Macca, most likely it will be the C4 going to the SITT. Anything else and I think Yoda will disown me from the air cooled tribe.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sorry john thought you indicated 996TT for SITT. I think the C4 is the right choice. I haved prepared the 993 as I suspect that's what I will be taking in the end..
Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry john thought you indicated 996TT for SITT. I think the C4 is the right choice. I haved prepared the 993 as I suspect that's what I will be taking in the end..
I did indeed, but was found out! The C4 is well sorted and can easily make this trip. I just liked the thought of doing it in a bit more comfort. It's a long way, even more so if I do the full length of the country.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman for the SITT for me. It's coming with a fresh set of michelins on and while I'd love to do the tour on 221s I don't have a spare set of 18s to bolt on. I'm doing the SITT as much for the touring as the tracks so won't be looking to go and blast out hot lap times on unfamiliar tracks. Am pretty excited about the new arrival though - will be a long few months... And speaking of arrivals.... anyone heard from Michael?? Or did I miss that in the last 50 pages?

John - doing the cape to Bluff is an ambitious tack on to this tour! Might have to wait a year or two for that one - feels like the kind of trip that should be done in an old Mini Cooper though.

Macca - will Jo be with you on Sunday?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Cayman for SITT was just too tempting eh! I understand, if it were me it would be the same. Originally you weren't down to tour with Doug and the guys down, has that changed, sounds like and hope so. We need to get a bit more organisation into this touring part shortly. If I recall we got Rons Itinerary and were going to follow along but book our own accommodation and perhaps run in a group behind them. Maybe a good conversation point for Sunday. Its looming up fast. At least you will have the Cayman in plenty of time to have it checked over and prepare it for the tour. From memory I think Doug, myself, Matt & John were firm for the trip down. I think Chris was going to join us in WTGN and Paul was at the time possibly shipping the C3 down. Again probably time we all took a serious look at this or Jan will be over before we get it organised.

Jo wont be coming Sunday. She already has some plans it seems. Actually we need a holiday from each other LOL! Its been 30 days in a row so far of 24hrs! God did not make us to be in the same proximity for so long I fear. That's why he invented playstation and fornication amongst other things...

John, I think I started a thread on T shirt ideas for SITT. Actually it may have been on here in which case we will never find it. We used the good bye Pork Pie theme for one of them. Looked good and with a Porker silhouette overlayed could work. We should discuss Sunday and maybe work on a consensus. Other ideas were someone local in Queenstown to capture our Teterongia and Cromwell exploits on videocam. Also anyone thought to take a tutor at these tracks?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Looks like you and Macca will be ships passing in the night. He doesn't get into NZ until Saturday afternoon so we can't arrange a time that suits both of you.
Bugger. More important for Macca to catch up with the crew
Old 12-29-2013, 03:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

On another point, I'm thinking of turning my SITT trip into a cape reinga to bluff effort. My ferry booking will allow me to do that. Any one else interested?
John, I could be up for that. Sounds like fun. What date is your ferry booking? I havent booked yet? I have a house at Oakura (east coast) and acccom at opononi (west coast) we could use as a base for the run to the top and back from
Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Re SITT:

Steve joins us in Wellington. We have a s/sheet of the itinerary and bookings. I chatted online with Sam re t shirts but it didnt go far. My son, a graphic designer, has gifted me a t shirt design for xmas and ive been thinking about it a lot so sticking my hand up for it.

Yet to be organised off top of my head....

Freight of track wheels and spare parts. Discuss mechanical support options with Steve. Have we done that?

Accommodation to be booked:

wellington and Hawkes Bay. (suggest the masonic hotel napier - Art Deco experience). My corp rate at Bolton Wellington expired. Had wondered about cheapish motel in the hutt. Wellington hotels are extortionate and mean with parking costs

Nelson

Tony confirmed we could have 2 more in our group and Jesse Ball is keen in his 996t. Have yet to firm him up

Would be good if you can confirm together whats left to organise on Sunday. Pete and Chris have access to the s/sheet on dropbox
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
John, I could be up for that. Sounds like fun. What date is your ferry booking? I havent booked yet? I have a house at Oakura (east coast) and acccom at opononi (west coast) we could use as a base for the run to the top and back from
Doug, my ferry booking is Tuesday, 18 March (same as Chris). That gives me 3 days to get from Auckland to Cape Reinga and down to Wellington. Apple Maps reckons it is 20hr 27min driving. 6hr 6 min to Cape Reinga, then 14hr 21mins to cover the 1,080 km to Wellington. Not easy, but an epic journey considering we are close enough to Bluff to visit and 'bookend' the trip. I imagine it would be the only Marque to do it for this tour.

These things are easier to plan than execute so I'm thinking that there won't be a next time for me as just doing Auckland to Invercargill will turn out to be a mission, I'll be unlikely to want to repeat it just to say I did the full trip. It would be great to share the 'goodbye Pork pie' run with fellow Porsche Tragics, but I won't be harping on about it. If it floats your and/ or other RSG members' then I'm up for it. Just need to find a way to record it for posterity. Maybe a custom decal with a map of NZ and the route?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm doing the SITT as much for the touring as the tracks so won't be looking to go and blast out hot lap times on unfamiliar tracks.
So when I'm right up your **** in a similar albeit less powerful car and you're getting familiar with the main straight coming up you'll just wave me past. Yeah right. :-P
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, my ferry booking is Tuesday, 18 March (same as Chris). That gives me 3 days to get from Auckland to Cape Reinga and down to Wellington. Apple Maps reckons it is 20hr 27min driving. 6hr 6 min to Cape Reinga, then 14hr 21mins to cover the 1,080 km to Wellington. Not easy, but an epic journey considering we are close enough to Bluff to visit and 'bookend' the trip. I imagine it would be the only Marque to do it for this tour. These things are easier to plan than execute so I'm thinking that there won't be a next time for me as just doing Auckland to Invercargill will turn out to be a mission, I'll be unlikely to want to repeat it just to say I did the full trip. It would be great to share the 'goodbye Pork pie' run with fellow Porsche Tragics, but I won't be harping on about it. If it floats your and/ or other RSG members' then I'm up for it. Just need to find a way to record it for posterity. Maybe a custom decal with a map of NZ and the route?
15 minutes thinking about it and i love the idea. I love touring NZ and while ive bussed to Cape Reinga havent driven it. Long distances dont bother me and i cant see another opportunity to nail it either.

Love the custom decal idea. I'm in!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug, I'm going to run a set of new Z221s the whole distance. My car doesn't look right without the Fuchs and I know I can do 4,000 km on a set of track tyres, as I already have and they've got another few km in them yet.

Chris is checking out freighting cars from ChCh to Auckland. I'll do that. Not sure about the support options. It's a big journey to take a van all that way for 'eventualities'. Maybe we just take obvious spares and leave the rest to luck?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
15 minutes thinking about it and i love the idea. I love touring NZ and while ive bussed to Cape Reinga havent driven it. Long distances dont bother me and i cant see another opportunity to nail it either. Love the custom decal idea. I'm in!
Great. Wonder if we can get access to the tracks on the way down? Even one lap of Pukekohe, HD and Taupo on the way down would give us the right to put them on the decal. Every track in NZ in a 2 week period.

Someone stop me before this gets out of hand.....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?