Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
What'd you pay for the pads?
$1020 landed (including GST), they came in with my Oz wheels.

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. I found the same when I installed the Rs engine mounts and RSR tranny mount. Its probably improved the shifting all by itself. The old ones were likely past their best. It probably wont save you any time on the track but it will make the load transitions a bit more stable.

IMO one of the first things needed to be done to the older cars in preparing them for the track is to have the engine and transmission mounts replaced with new and harder compound. I went as far as having the engine mounting frame reinforced with the Rennline gusset in anticipation of a significant hp increase which hasnt yet happened, but I think thats probably overkill....

The new pads and rotors will improve things. Did you have issues with the original set up? I notice brakes seem to be a re occurring theme here...
Dean said the old transmission mounts looked fine, and I suspect the engine mounts were too... this car has only seen 40k kms. Not expecting to pick up any time from the change directly, but improved confidence through better feel of what the car's doing may help a small amount. Definitely worth replacing them on older cars, as Dave found the engine mounts were shot on the 964... RS mounts were on my list before I moved on from that car.

No issues with my brakes on track, just very close to wear limits from many hard track days. Moving from Pagid RS29s to PFC 06 (front)/01 (rear) expecting better life out of the pads and slightly better brake bias for trail braking.

Last edited by mjg; 08-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

While I was getting the hydraulic seepage looked at I took off a wheel and checked out my pad life left. Unfortunately I seem to have a fair bit to go before I can justify a new set. Hopefully it will be a clear choice by then.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of 3D printing..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10907367
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

This weekends work.
Door cards need some minor refining and a handle, plus black screws and cup washers.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Maxem
Drifting

And some tan plastidip to test colour choice for the D 90's
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

David. Looks good. The supplier of my card suggested an additional hole on the outer edge to keep the card flat. You can see it in the picture attached. Most people installing the RS cards end up drilling an extra hole here. I will be doing same as my cards are pre drilled for it.

Any issues winding the windows down or up withe the strap pull system?

I like the tan very much. I like it better than the black - shows the design of the wheel and its different. You don't see this colour wheel commonly. Makes a nice change and works well with the red...
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
This weekends work.
Door cards need some minor refining and a handle, plus black screws and cup washers.
I'll take a pair thanks Dave.

You'll have to show me where you go the perspex and and template.

Just out of interest - did you weigh the difference, be interesting to see the saving.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Macca, yes I agree, I will probably put one there. i added an extra at the leading edge as well. I should have sourced some plastic pop studs to pick up the factory holes but didn't. For the drivers one I will add an extra strip of the panel material to strengthen the outer edge to keep a better line when the screws are tightened down then come back and re jig the passengers door. The high impact panel material I used was quite strong, I don't know how some of the fibre board products would fare. The pull strap hooks up to the mechanism which is well clear of everything. I used an eyelet in each end of the dog collar and a M5 bolt passes through the upper strap, flat metal tab and lower strap, then washers and a Nyloc nut
Old 08-04-2013, 03:49 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'll take a pair thanks Dave.

You'll have to show me where you go the perspex and and template.

Just out of interest - did you weigh the difference, be interesting to see the saving.
Well, They took a while. I used the originals as the patterns, it worked well. The panel was High Impact Polystyrene from Mulford Plastics. 5mm foam from Para, Suede, two XL sized dog collars, eyelets, a few random bits of thick foam to push the panel off the door to keep the lock bezel under tension, and screws and cup washers. Next time I'll buy a set but I find this stuff part of the fun of modifying.
Weight, I should have but didn't. Bare panels with covers would barely be much more than a KG but a fitted panel with speakers makes it quite heavy again. When I pull one off I'll be sure to weigh it
Old 08-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Maxem
Drifting

And of course, the genuine factory strap bezels, I've got a few spares if anyone else is going to have a crack at these.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Well, They took a while. I used the originals as the patterns, it worked well. The panel was High Impact Polystyrene from Mulford Plastics. 5mm foam from Para, Suede, two XL sized dog collars, eyelets, a few random bits of thick foam to push the panel off the door to keep the lock bezel under tension, and screws and cup washers. Next time I'll buy a set but I find this stuff part of the fun of modifying.
Weight, I should have but didn't. Bare panels with covers would barely be much more than a KG but a fitted panel with speakers makes it quite heavy again. When I pull one off I'll be sure to weigh it
Interesting points - a stereo delete must be 10kg saving??
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Like me I know your a big fan of kevlar (I like it more than CF). Check out this 964 engine bay. Thats one hell of a lot of custom craftsmanship (makes 350 bhp too!).

Many say seal the rear of the nylon door pull straps with resin as they fray from usage...just a tip. Also this welting looks handy. Finally the factory built one official 993 speedster from FA Porsche and did a pocket for stuff thought that was a good idea...
Attached Images     
Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Interesting points - a stereo delete must be 10kg saving??
Im expecting my RS door panels to save 5kg a side. That's keeping speakers albeit changing them to a far lighter coaxial with built in crossover.

If I removed my speakers front and rear and head unit it would be around 8kg all up.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Macca, yes, I melted the ends with a lighter. The welting is interesting, I couldn't figure out the purpose of it but maybe it helps tidy things up a bit. Also, don't know if you noticed but the factory cards have some wasting at each bottom corner, couldn't figure that out either but I did it all the same, must clear the door seal better at the corners

Paul, I am considering a stereo delete. i fitted door speakers just to get the covers in place for the next guy or if I wanted audio again. I'd quite like to move the center console switches to a plate where the stereo was. I reckon there'd be 10 kg in a stereo delete.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. As per pic above was a bit more than sealing the ends. Its about dipping the nylon in resin to give support around the eyelet. Not much repeated usage apparently can tear eyelet from nylon, common problem. I Couldnt ask Dean to do it too fiddly so will do it myself when Im back...

Stereo and door speaker delete for weight savings can wait for later if you are just starting diet many more heavy things to sort out first...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?