Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013 | 06:12 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

that's the stark contrast in costs - more for a top air cooled engine rebuild than a whole 997.1 car.
And no shortage of guys lining up on the classic and more modern air cooled side too.
Old 08-06-2013 | 11:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another delivery from the US Time to retire to the Man Cave tonight and fit the Momo, then the ducktail grille. Hopefully the weather will stay fine so I can use these in anger on the weekend.
Old 08-07-2013 | 01:37 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Rotored out for HD sprints sorry Paul (+T10)

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
In my capacity as a PCNZ Committee Member, I'm just putting a plug across the Rennlisters board that there is a PCNZ sprints day on 10th August with a few spots still available.

For those of you how haven't done sprints before this is a step up from a Play Day as you are set off at 5 sec intervals with a car of a similar lap time to you, and you get to chase each other around the track. This is ideal if they pair you with a car around 0.5 to 1 sec quicker than you, as you soon learn to find this time to keep pace with them.

Drop me a line at paul@pjmprojects.co.nz if you are keen.

John - you slacker - wash your socks on Sunday

Sean - are you in the country??

Phil and Walter - the 996T's need a blast (err...and I need something to pass............until we hit a straight bit of track.)
Enjoy the HD weekend guys. Just rechecked my front rotors on the 996T and they'll need replacing before another track day (cracks between the crossdrilled holes are 5mm+ and almost joining up - I keep rechecking them but they're not getting better).

Only fitting those original cross-drilleds again if they are cheap (anyone got a new/used 996T set lying around?), else will likely go for slotteds.

I think people were also discussing turn 10 at HD. FWIW my vote probably goes to double apexing. Was single apexing last time and at one point Matthew passed me pretty easily on the main straight with his GT3 despite our (paper) power to weight and 100-200kph being almost identical. He was doubling the sweeper and obviously had a much better exit speed. The speed difference was probably mostly line, with no doubt a bit of help from Matt's driver talent, his GT3's r-comps, and maybe some hp loss from intercooler heat soak on my car.

Times will tell, but I'll at least be experimenting with doubling it next time. Went back over those run graphs that were posted last month but couldn't find anything relevant in T10. Anyone got some splits from trying it both ways in the same car? Or want to do some (hint, hint)?
Old 08-07-2013 | 01:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just spoke to CCS and they're unlikely to have the time to fit a new O ring in the hydraulic line this week. Looks like I'll be out in the 996TT. I will take the AIM but I think you want data from someone who can drive at 10/10ths on both lines. Maybe Matt will volunteer? He has an AIM as well.
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:10 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Enjoy the HD weekend guys. Just rechecked my front rotors on the 996T and they'll need replacing before another track day (cracks between the crossdrilled holes are 5mm+ and almost joining up - I keep rechecking them but they're not getting better).

Only fitting those original cross-drilleds again if they are cheap (anyone got a new/used 996T set lying around?), else will likely go for slotteds.

I think people were also discussing turn 10 at HD. FWIW my vote probably goes to double apexing. Was single apexing last time and at one point Matthew passed me pretty easily on the main straight with his GT3 despite our (paper) power to weight and 100-200kph being almost identical. He was doubling the sweeper and obviously had a much better exit speed. The speed difference was probably mostly line, with no doubt a bit of help from Matt's driver talent, his GT3's r-comps, and maybe some hp loss from intercooler heat soak on my car.

Times will tell, but I'll at least be experimenting with doubling it next time. Went back over those run graphs that were posted last month but couldn't find anything relevant in T10. Anyone got some splits from trying it both ways in the same car? Or want to do some (hint, hint)?
I got my best lap time last event by double apexing it, you can see the greater speed out of the corner, I'll see if I can attach it... (from the dotted line onwards to the right, 2 fastest laps used. Fastest lap was a double apex. Brakes on that day were crappy). Double apex lap in red.
Name:  Driftbox HD 20July13.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  358.5 KB
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default HD T10 lines and time splits

Originally Posted by John McM
Just spoke to CCS and they're unlikely to have the time to fit a new O ring in the hydraulic line this week. Looks like I'll be out in the 996TT. I will take the AIM but I think you want data from someone who can drive at 10/10ths on both lines. Maybe Matt will volunteer? He has an AIM as well.
A reliable 9.5/10ths might still say something too but if Matt has had his AIM for a while, he may already have done the comparison. I'm sure he was smiling as he sailed by that time...

Looks like you'll be flying the flag for the 996Ts this weekend John - just enjoy that SRF braking!
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:19 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default HD T10 lines

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I got my best lap time last event by double apexing it, you can see the greater speed out of the corner, I'll see if I can attach it... (from the dotted line onwards to the right, 2 fastest laps used. Fastest lap was a double apex. Brakes on that day were crappy). Double apex lap in red.
WOW - thanks. Exactly how I imagined it might look. Ask and you shall receive! Even keener to try it now...
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
John. Dont forget those spacers to sort out your rear wheel rub issue. I think Dean has them off the car now...
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

What's great about that overlay is that the area between the two speed curves on the rest of those runs (T1-T10 entry) pretty much cancels out so the bulk of the 0.7sec difference in times looks to be attributable to turn 10 and the following main straight. OK, its only a sample size of 1 (very good) comparison but if just doubling T10 drops my best into the 1.17s I'll be well stoked.
Old 08-07-2013 | 03:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

John. Dont forget those spacers to sort out your rear wheel rub issue. I think Dean has them off the car now...
Macca, yes he mentioned that they were ready for fitting.
Old 08-07-2013 | 06:18 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Here's some progress shots from today. I know a few of you have been awaiting the Heigo bolt in cage pictures. Sorry these are just camera phone quality.
Macca, Your Heigo cage looks brilliant, I'd be keen to look at one as they do seem a great bolt-in option, that could always be taken out again, and they make sense in the 911 when looking at how thin the pillars are. They also look very well made. I know David's been waiting for his one for awhile... I've heard the wait for them is long.

Last edited by Runtothehills; 11-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2013 | 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, that does look very nice.

Tonight's work on my car is not in the same league but I'm happy with the incremental result. Before and after.
Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2013 | 07:12 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Good one John the prototipo is a great improvement, let me know how you go with the spacers too, as you saw with the oil line rub I have I need to invest in some shortly too, and looking at the options from 5-15mm for the rear.
Old 08-07-2013 | 07:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Good one John the prototipo is a great improvement, let me know how you go with the spacers too, as you saw with the oil line rub I have I need to invest in some shortly too, and looking at the options from 5-15mm for the rear.
Sam, I'm hoping 5 or 6mm will be enough to fix my rubbing. It's ironic I saw your problem first. Pot calling the kettle black! Aching to get the car back out on the track. I have 700km on the rebuild so am thinking I've done enough to run full revs now. Also want to get out there with the AIM and cut a few seconds off my lap time.
Old 08-07-2013 | 08:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Wheel looks great. Definitely need the spacers. Is that the AIM bracket on the window? Theres no hiding that baby eh?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?