Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK Macca - only because of our on-going 'bro-mance' - I will do my bit to pump life into this forum and will post some photos of a few of clan from the PCNZ track day. Leong was totally smoking it and Pel wasn't too shabby either running in the 14's on less than optimal conditions. I am guessing Pel will more than have my measure and probably have Nigel on the ropes too, his 6GT3 is very quick (and sounds awesome).

Steff is starting to get some good times in her 944 race car too. Mark was towing her around and she was getting into the 1.20's and will now consider 964's mobile road cones like the rest of us.

Nigel's new Fab Speed exhaust is making that car a weapon - having driven it, I seriously rate this mod for Turbo's, seriously no lag and is showing up in Nigel being at the front of the gymkhana times, which you wouldn't expect in an old turbo.
Attached Images       
Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
If the vendors/owners of Rennlist kept supporting their platform with easy to use apps and web interfaces (they don't and so it's hard to use) we wouldn't be frustrated and moving away from it. Agree that old posts get buried on FB and take a lot to dig up... Although this morning it only took me a couple of minutes to locate a photo I posted 5 years ago on FB. The RSG group on FB gets some action from many of us although small sound bites rather than big long posts. Did you see the thread on Mark's Fraser purchase? Lots of q and a plus photos, likes and comments.
That would be Internet Brands Doug. I'm sure they monitor their traffic patterns and user activity levels, but unless they get their mobile clients sorted and compellingly easy to use (pic posting and viewing included) the defection rate to Facebook and the next hot thing will only skyrocket.

Ironically, 99% of my Rennlisting is done on a PC platform, and for the five or ten minutes a year I do use a mobile even then I use a full browser rather than some dumbed down mobile version or Rennlist specific app. So I'm not directly affected by their poor mobile support (unless finally remedied recently?). But they'll eventually lose me too if too many communitities go as doggo as this one went lately. Metcalfe's Law rules - and that same force that built RennList up will finifh tearing it back down if they take their eye off the landslide to mobiles.

My own odd ambition is to die Facebook free, so I may even be one of the last to turn out the lights here but that's cold comfort.

Like Macca and many more of us I'm sure, I'm missing the repartee, education and intrigue that this thread always reliably delivered. And, it must be said, the civility. Much credit to all for sustaining a charmed run for so long!

Originally Posted by Macca
IMO, Facebook has irrevocably weakened the community we created. That includes RSG. No ones fault, just what it is. Since Facebook, traffic here is now nil.

RSG closed user site has ground to an absolute halt and it's difficult even to get interest in NITT.

I suspect 4-5 new "Porsche" Facebook groups being posted on 15 times a day each has exhausted most enthusiasts appetite for lengthy discuss or debate elsewhere. Understandable.

Facebook is short sound bites lost in downward scrolling, "forever" punctuated by "view replies" links - not sure how anyone finds anything long term without their scroll finger dropping off. How frustrating. I read it daily but the appeal is lost on me. There is no lengthy discourse to be had there so it definitely doesn't suit my personal style, though I understand it satiates many including Those who want to immediately post multiple pictures of what they are up to by iPhone. I guess is the product of a busy generation who like to poke.

The good news is "email" is still alive and kicking so i still have proper discourse with many of you via email which is great. The ones who seem too busy to bother with more than a one line four word email a week to return., curiously seem to purge 500 words of discourse a day on various FB pages. You know who you are. Excuses of time don't wash. We've all been busy. Time management may be lacking however.

I do miss sitting down with a cup of coffee for a good solid 15 million nuts read catching up on half a day of banter on RL. Especially Walts emails where often I need to concentrate fully and often come out with a better understanding of science or physics or something lol!

Rennlist is my family and I'm still very active daily. I have met so many great folk on here, then in real life all, over the world and had such great car experiences through these relationships over the last 15 years it's very much part of my life. A big part of our last trip was Car/Space and aviation related all hosted through long formed Rennlist international relationships.

I will try and check back here every few weeks as I've been doing, but sadly I don't give it much hope.

Things move on, things change, natural progression and all that...
Mark, thanks for your kind mention and I've been missing your considered and eclectic insights too. I mean, who else could get from lesbots to dwarf stalking via exchange rates and mexican great whites? Even if the near magazine quality coverage of your various 'colour me jealous' holiday adventures - in or out of your GT3 - never helps shrink the bucketlist. Plus missing news of John's escalating mechanical masochism, Jake's quest for the perfect 997T, Doug's mission of 10 million Porsche road miles across NZ and of course the varied vices of the rest of our weird little group of antipodean P car addicts.

This thread remains my Rennlist home (and launch shortcut) so I'm never away for too long, but work has neccesitated a greater share of my attention than cars this last month or two. In the absence of too many of us blowing on the embers, I'm guilty too of not throwing on a bit of kindling recently.

So pleased to see it flare back up today with some familiar friends as I rather feared everyone else had just gone on to have a big private key party on FB. This thread, like Rennlist itself, will live or die on its merit and relevance in a fast changing world. I was going to say that if it must be the latter, it should go out with dignity, but whatever would those great whites and lesbots think of that?

BTW Mark, I haven't committed to NITT as other travel may yet intrude, but you or Pete can pencil me in as a probable.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
OK Macca - only because of our on-going 'bro-mance' - I will do my bit to pump life into this forum and will post some photos of a few of clan from the PCNZ track day. Leong was totally smoking it and Pel wasn't too shabby either running in the 14's on less than optimal conditions. I am guessing Pel will more than have my measure and probably have Nigel on the ropes too, his 6GT3 is very quick (and sounds awesome).

Steff is starting to get some good times in her 944 race car too. Mark was towing her around and she was getting into the 1.20's and will now consider 964's mobile road cones like the rest of us.

Nigel's new Fab Speed exhaust is making that car a weapon - having driven it, I seriously rate this mod for Turbo's, seriously no lag and is showing up in Nigel being at the front of the gymkhana times, which you wouldn't expect in an old turbo.
Thanks Paul - nothing like a few pics and war despatches to get the blood pulsing!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca, I'm going to post you a hankie............

Personally, I see it differently.

I no longer post on here as there is no control over who see's the comments and you don't know who all the lurkers are.

I am happy to talk to RSG'ers, PCNZ members and Pcar enthusiasts - but not really to unknown lurkers who can't be arsed contributing.

This site is (was) propped up by circa 15-20 regular posters - I say time for some of the 100's of lurkers to now shoulder the load and share their Pcar stories.

P.s - thanks for my love present
Good point! Stories to follow.

Anyway, Friday (yesterday) about 4:40 pm I had just exited the roundabout from Marsden Point heading North to Whangarei and I saw a black 1991 944S2 heading the other way. Anyone know it?

If so, is it the one that got impounded because Customs discovered illicit substances in the spare tire?
I remember the article in the paper just before I bought mine in 2000. Sadly, I missed out
Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Paul, your too kind...

To be honest I had a challenging day out there, the track had some damp patches in the morning, Z221 really don't like standing water, found this out when I nearly became the first person to spin during orientation laps (turning in on the hairpin), during the first session the car stepped out on the straight coming over the crest whilst changing to 5th, mitigated this by short shifting and staying smooth as possible, however in the second session I had a moment exiting turn 1 culminating in a "mini Neil" where I ran parallel to the wall spinning about 4 times with no control before coming to a stop side on, rear on track front on grass facing the wall. In the damp I found the car twitchy and couldn't seem to find a limit, frustrating stuff but lessons learned, they sway bars are on their stiffest setting so may soften up next time.

When the track dried out the car was epic (just like Taupo) but not 100% comfortable, with the SC there is some understeer built in when on throttle, the GT3 doesn't have this buffer. I wasn't timing but chased Leong for a couple of laps in the arvo session he was high 12/ flat 13, and looked to drag about 50m per lap on me so maybe a 14 when it dried out but hard to know.

Before I start below, the core guys at RSG (Pete, Mark, Paul, John, Doug, Michael, Steve) are fantastic, Pete especially, sorting track days and herding the masses when your not driving is an unenviable task. Im privileged to have hooked into this, have learnt a great deal.

With regards to RSG, weather it's boom or bust depends on your use, it feels like numbers have been down at track days I put this down to:
- Core guys like Doug and John are more focused on road driving, this is on the up.
- Haven't seen Michael in a while, we have a couple more 944 road cars in Gerry & Stephen now.
- Core guys have changed cars, dollars have gotten bigger too, which can change focus. Mark & Brendon are the only regular guys running air cooled now. On a good day, Jason, Dave, Doug, John, Sam & Craig Pye make the group far more interesting.
- Im sure the HD ownership situation hasn't helped booking track time
- With most RSG stuff now on FB, the only way new members are coming in is via PCNZ trackdays, type into facebook Porsche NZ or anything of the sort doesn't let you know RSG exists, rennlist used to help in this way.

I re joined FB as thats where traffic was going, still prefer rennlist, offline discussion has it's place, however Porsche owners looking to do track days, furthermore, still thirsty after PCNZ days is a niche offering, we need some kind of presence.

I was late to the party but the RSG facebook page has a ton of members contributing not much but trademe links and japanese auctions, definitely not "Racing Sport", most of that stuff could be on air cooled etc

As I said earlier, people may interpret RSG differently. To me, it's a group of Porsche owners centred around track time, good vibes and passion for Porsches. In Porsches!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Pel
Pro

Or it could just be winter
Old 08-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

To be honest I had a challenging day out there, the track had some damp patches in the morning, Z221 really don't like standing water, found this out when I nearly became the first person to spin during orientation laps (turning in on the hairpin), during the first session the car stepped out on the straight coming over the crest whilst changing to 5th, mitigated this by short shifting and staying smooth as possible, however in the second session I had a moment exiting turn 1 culminating in a "mini Neil" where I ran parallel to the wall spinning about 4 times with no control before coming to a stop side on, rear on track front on grass facing the wall. In the damp I found the car twitchy and couldn't seem to find a limit, frustrating stuff but lessons learned, they sway bars are on their stiffest setting so may soften up next time.

When the track dried out the car was epic (just like Taupo) but not 100% comfortable, with the SC there is some understeer built in when on throttle, the GT3 doesn't have this buffer. I wasn't timing but chased Leong for a couple of laps in the arvo session he was high 12/ flat 13, and looked to drag about 50m per lap on me so maybe a 14 when it dried out but hard to know.

Before I start below, the core guys at RSG (Pete, Mark, Paul, John, Doug, Michael, Steve) are fantastic, Pete especially, sorting track days and herding the masses when your not driving is an unenviable task. Im privileged to have hooked into this, have learnt a great deal.

With regards to RSG, weather it's boom or bust depends on your use, it feels like numbers have been down at track days I put this down to:
- Core guys like Doug and John are more focused on road driving, this is on the up.
- Haven't seen Michael in a while, we have a couple more 944 road cars in Gerry & Stephen now.
- Core guys have changed cars, dollars have gotten bigger too, which can change focus. Mark & Brendon are the only regular guys running air cooled now. On a good day, Jason, Dave, Doug, John, Sam & Craig Pye make the group far more interesting.
- With most RSG stuff now on FB, the only way new members are coming in is via PCNZ trackdays, type into facebook Porsche NZ or anything of the sort doesn't let you know RSG exists, rennlist used to help in this way.

I re joined FB as thats where traffic was going, still prefer rennlist, offline discussion has it's place, however Porsche owners looking to do track days, furthermore, still thirsty after PCNZ days is a niche offering, we need some kind of presence.

I was late to the party but the RSG facebook page has a ton of members contributing not much but trademe links and japanese auctions, definitely not "Racing Sport", most of that stuff could be on air cooled etc

As I said earlier, people may interpret RSG differently. To me, it's a group of Porsche owners centred around track time, good vibes and passion for Porsches. In Porsches!
I'm still here for sure and ready to race. I joined fb reluctantly but to keep up with what was happening and found it great to get a lot of Porsche, motorbike, race, engineering content but am learning that you can get too much and thence start to skip the good stuff to get through it all. I've been time rich up till now but the two track days missed - Taupo and yesterday have unfortunately clashed with overseas trips otherwise I would have been there. House reno's are draining the purse but the odd three hundy here and there for track fee's is no deterrent. The T is sorted and needs nothing for a while so relatively low cost running at the moment. The good news is that my garage is shaping up fabulously as the reno's liberate more space elsewhere. Part of the steel works under the upper floor structure have seen the White garage linings pulled and exposed wonderfull red brick veneer and Totara posts, joists and braces, reminiscent of a converted city loft style apartment. Perfect ambience to store a couple of old Porsches with the correct lighting. Plus a brand new purpose made workshop off the garage so I can get back to my nothing on the floor policy and just cars only in the garage.
Anyway, went to Dutton Garage yesterday for a look. What a fabulous place. At least 5 early 911's, four 356's and maybe 8 to 10 special IB's. An F40 ex NZ, several Lambo's inc Diablo and Countach, Bb512's x 2, 308's 328's etc and lots of new metal inc a Cayman R at 150k. The basement seems to be a race prep garage with half a dozen older 911's there. The newer metal was priced but the old stuff was POA. I got out of them $210k for a 69T and $280k for a 86 930. They have a buying agent in NZ actively looking which is a bit sad. Big prices but the buyers must be there. See you on the track next time.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Work travel is a virtual hand brake on my participation in events. Unless I'm in NZ for work I typically lose a weekend and the following one has me arriving home from Dingo land at 1am on Saturday. It's one reason I'm doing my refurb as researching and shopping for parts while away is a positive use of time. It also doubles the excitement at the prospect of getting home as there are usually parcels waiting for me.

When there are track events, the attraction is the atmosphere more than anything. If I see a whole lot of Luftgekuhlt or road going 944s had a blast at an event I couldn't attend I get annoyed, the same as the road trip I will miss next weekend. However if it's mostly water pumpers or people I don't know then there are no pangs of regret. The thing is that my good memories are more about the time spent with like minded people than the track itself. That's what RSG is to me. I still think it's going from strength to strength where people are looking for that, albeit it's in a different shape now with PCNZ running the HD track days which was our core activity/ regular meeting activity.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm still here for sure and ready to race. I joined fb reluctantly but to keep up with what was happening and found it great to get a lot of Porsche, motorbike, race, engineering content but am learning that you can get too much and thence start to skip the good stuff to get through it all. I've been time rich up till now but the two track days missed - Taupo and yesterday have unfortunately clashed with overseas trips otherwise I would have been there. House reno's are draining the purse but the odd three hundy here and there for track fee's is no deterrent. The T is sorted and needs nothing for a while so relatively low cost running at the moment. The good news is that my garage is shaping up fabulously as the reno's liberate more space elsewhere. Part of the steel works under the upper floor structure have seen the White garage linings pulled and exposed wonderfull red brick veneer and Totara posts, joists and braces, reminiscent of a converted city loft style apartment. Perfect ambience to store a couple of old Porsches with the correct lighting. Plus a brand new purpose made workshop off the garage so I can get back to my nothing on the floor policy and just cars only in the garage.
Anyway, went to Dutton Garage yesterday for a look. What a fabulous place. At least 5 early 911's, four 356's and maybe 8 to 10 special IB's. An F40 ex NZ, several Lambo's inc Diablo and Countach, Bb512's x 2, 308's 328's etc and lots of new metal inc a Cayman R at 150k. The basement seems to be a race prep garage with half a dozen older 911's there. The newer metal was priced but the old stuff was POA. I got out of them $210k for a 69T and $280k for a 86 930. They have a buying agent in NZ actively looking which is a bit sad. Big prices but the buyers must be there. See you on the track next time.
How much where the 308's?
Old 08-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Pel
Pro

Dave that garage reno sounds very nice, love demo brick and timber
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks Pel, I'm still here but track time this year has been thin on the ground sadly, for various reasons. I think the last time was the Festival! I still take the 944 to work occasionally and for a squirt down the road when I get a chance, but nothing substantial. (Maintenance has been cheap though!)

My second son was born on Friday morning, name still to be decided but Earl never had a chance with my partner and Brendon made the shortlist but is unlikely to be the final choice...
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Congrats Michael, so we will see you at the 2026 NITT?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Pel
Pro

Congratulations Michael, perhaps Ferry can sneak through! My first one is due in January, I'm sure this will have effect on my leave passes too. Would be great to have a big group at Taupo...
Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

Many sailent points here Pel. Thanks for that I think your synopsis is on the mark. Especially your final sentence. This is how I see RSG as well.

Sounds like you had a few scary moments at HD. I think HD due to its elevation changes and large compression would lend itself to your sway bars being softened up. Suggest middle hole rear and soft for the front might help get a bit more traction between the tyre and the bitumen especially when damp.

It might be worth looking at the cambers. They appear quite aggressive (front). I think you would want to keep the front at -2.5 or less. This will give you more stability under braking. Cambers beyond -2.0 are more for tyre wear/even temps (i.e. longevity before heat cycling) than outright lap times.

With a bit of fine tuning here and some more seat time I should think consistent mid 13s are in range on Z221. Those tyres are awesome and I wish they had something similar for the later cars, the MPSC2 is a good tyre but a 180 treadwear road tyre with some track credentials not the other way round.

Looking at that aftermarket exhaust you are running I imagine you have headers too? Must sound great. I'm looking forward to having my race headers fitted in the next few weeks and finally getting some better pads fitted (have been using OEM).

P.S. Michael - congrats mate. You are on a roll. two boys in a row! Plenty of XY to carry forward the future P car addiction.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt it would be great if you could make it along to NITT.

Here's looking at you kid...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?