Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking closely at the backdate at Rennsport I couldn't help critiquing the changes. This car will be as close to original as possible, albeit the interior will change from Linen to Black. I may even ditch the sports seats idea and just recover the OEM seats in black leather. I'm half hoping it will be so drive able that my wife will actually use it.
I think recovering in leather actually works out very cost effectively. I had a crowd quote once on a BMW that had cloth when I wanted leather and I was surprised at how cheap it was, including the tricky bits like airbag seams. Also when buying my new GTI dealers who offered me non leather cars could get a leather conversion for only a couple of grand done locally - in that case it was easier to wait for a leather car. And recently, My T leather interior was about half what I thought it would cost, Te Awamutu style. Does the interior have tan hard bits like door caps, centre console? That could be a bit trickier.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I think recovering in leather actually works out very cost effectively. I had a crowd quote once on a BMW that had cloth when I wanted leather and I was surprised at how cheap it was, including the tricky bits like airbag seams. Also when buying my new GTI dealers who offered me non leather cars could get a leather conversion for only a couple of grand done locally - in that case it was easier to wait for a leather car. And recently, My T leather interior was about half what I thought it would cost, Te Awamutu style. Does the interior have tan hard bits like door caps, centre console? That could be a bit trickier.
My recollection is that base 964 seats are leather faced with vinyl sides and rear panel. A crowd in the US will supply leather covers for two seats at about NZD 2,600 landed. I expect a New Zealand source is more affordable. However, as I well know old Porsche leather is very different to the modern car leathers so that may be a challenge. At that level, new seats such as Warwick fitted to his car are more appealing, however I really want to see what's possible.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had two sets of seats recovered in leather for my 911s. From memory $2500 for the pair was about right for the hard backed sports seats including the Porsche spec perforated cushions. That was in classic grey so would have run $500 cheaper in black. Leather back and sides were an option and common on UK cars. My 993 was fitted with full leather seats when new (those seats are still in storage and like new). Remember the leather alone for recovering the seats will run 700-1200 depending on the type of hide(Napa etc).

Jo wants s new Mk 7 golf with the leather interior and panoramic roof. About to order that and leather is $3750 option.

I did a quick look around and seemed $3000 plus was going rate to have factory interior re done. Dave can you PM me the contact/source you got for a couple of grand please as the leather I looked at wasn't much shy for front/rear seats plus doors. Much appreciated...
Old 05-14-2016, 01:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ps my sports seats were done 11 years ago by Retro and was just the fronts as hard back rear. Also got quotes from Kostas in WTGN. To be honest if those covers are factory for $2600 not so bad and much quicker John?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:29 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Whoaa John, another 964!! Awesome.
More garage time for you I guess, with everything you've learned on Herman this should be a snap.
Can't wait to see it.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Whoaa John, another 964!! Awesome. More garage time for you I guess, with everything you've learned on Herman this should be a snap. Can't wait to see it.
I can't help myself John. This should be a snap, but you never know with 26 year old cars. This won't be an all out refurb, but I will get experience with interiors so that's a new skill. The goal is a sorted car not a collectors car. There is a difference and it's basically about working to a budget, which is a new challenge for me. I'll document it all and no doubt will make a visit to Henderson at some stage.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:44 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Well you already have the tools you need for the job which will make your life a whole lot easier, great winter project.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Well you already have the tools you need for the job which will make your life a whole lot easier, great winter project.
Yes, it will be easier not having to make special parts to hold the torque tube etc and I know I need to fix the engine cradle to the motorcycle hoist this time. I also need to work on that lack of reach. It was solved last time but I want to be more prepared this time.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
I've had two sets of seats recovered in leather for my 911s. From memory $2500 for the pair was about right for the hard backed sports seats including the Porsche spec perforated cushions. That was in classic grey so would have run $500 cheaper in black. Leather back and sides were an option and common on UK cars. My 993 was fitted with full leather seats when new (those seats are still in storage and like new). Remember the leather alone for recovering the seats will run 700-1200 depending on the type of hide(Napa etc).

Jo wants s new Mk 7 golf with the leather interior and panoramic roof. About to order that and leather is $3750 option.

I did a quick look around and seemed $3000 plus was going rate to have factory interior re done. Dave can you PM me the contact/source you got for a couple of grand please as the leather I looked at wasn't much shy for front/rear seats plus doors. Much appreciated...
That was the dealer throwing some numbers. Giltraps it was so maybe they get deals based on lots of work and repetition. I believe that there are crowds that source ready made covers from overseas for popular makes. Probably not top quality but fills a need. In the end I found a Golf with factory leather so didn't need to go down the recovering route.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Just on the Golf leather - if you order leather you get electric drivers seat as part of the deal, not passenger. But as I found out afterwards the elec seats have no memory function which is a right pain if your other half drives it sometimes. Completely useless, would rather it was manual adjust.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The engine has done 235k+ John. Has it has any top end work in that time?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The engine has done 235k+ John. Has it has any top end work in that time?
$8,000 of engine work was done by Motorscience a few years back. No receipts afaik so it's a crap shoot as to what was done. Ehrin says it's not smoking so aside from doing a compression test etc it's about all I can check.

The mileage doesn't concern me as such but I know it's a value limiter. Herman has 152k, 17k on the rebuild. Lola is 173k+ on no rebuild and Mike is 400k+ on who knows what work.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Maxem
Drifting

I took the SC into Motor Science the other day and They printed out all that they had on file for the car so maybe worth a shot with the 964 to see what tha $8k was for.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I took the SC into Motor Science the other day and They printed out all that they had on file for the car so maybe worth a shot with the 964 to see what tha $8k was for.
Good idea. I might have to ask Glen though as Pete and I had a 'moment' back in 2012 over a tyre order. The cars had a few plates over the years. It's kinda sad that I can't go back to the original plate

Quite excited now to get a hold of the car, just to see what's ahead. I hope there are some pleasant surprises as well as the known issues. This is what I hope it will look like when finished
Attached Images    
Old 05-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That was the dealer throwing some numbers. Giltraps it was so maybe they get deals based on lots of work and repetition. I believe that there are crowds that source ready made covers from overseas for popular makes. Probably not top quality but fills a need. In the end I found a Golf with factory leather so didn't need to go down the recovering route.
Thanks for the info Dave. I will ask Giltraps/CCS. Ill PM you separately about new Golf and price discounts etc...

I like the colour John. A silver car really deserves a nice dark dried blood red leather interior - but I know that's not cost effective.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?