Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Thanks, be great to catch up and see the new and improved Herman too. Bit of both actually. I haven't been timed at HD since July 2013 so I've got no clue where I'm at these days. I feel like I'm more cautious than I once was but it could just be that I'm more used to it. Be interesting to find out.
Am looking forward to seeing you both out there.

In case anyone else is mulling this over, it's always better to check with an AIM or similar dedicated tool but if just looking to get a good idea of your lap times, then phone apps like Harry's Lap Timer or RaceChrono will give a fair indication. Any timing display needs to be covered or mounted so as to not show timing to the driver while out on track to satisfy insurance requirements of course, if you're running insured.

And/or just video your laps and work out the lap times by seeing when you pass a known point on a fairly consistent line. The faster and straighter you're travelling the better the accuracy of that so before getting my AIM (or being kindly loaned one sometimes) I tended to use the pit entry wall area as a reference if the camera wasn't picking up the start-finish nicely.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Waaaaatt? 2K really??
Originally Posted by John McM
I think it involved removing the hydraulics, welding in a body panel and refitting. Still a bit rich.
The $2k was just to straighten the frunk floor (which isn't really bent and unnecessary IMO), cleanup the surface rust and refinish. No welding. Just a bit of hammering, rust conveter and paint - which remember is just in the frunk. I would still have to supply the ABS brackets and CCS would take car of removing and refitting the hydraulics on top of the Haslers quote. All in I'm guessing nearer 3k when you include a replacement of the brake fluid, supplying the parts and transporting the car between CCS and Haslers.

As I said I'm going elsewhere after the festival. Hi John K
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
The $2k was just to straighten the frunk floor (which isn't really bent and unnecessary IMO), cleanup the surface rust and refinish. No welding. Just a bit of hammering, rust conveter and paint - which remember is just in the frunk. I would still have to supply the ABS brackets and CCS would take car of removing and refitting the hydraulics on top of the Haslers quote. All in I'm guessing nearer 3k when you include a replacement of the brake fluid, supplying the parts and transporting the car between CCS and Haslers.

That's unbelievable Warwick..........more than happy to be involved.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
That's unbelievable Warwick..........more than happy to be involved.
Is this Porsche Tax, Auckland Tax or a bit of both?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Is this Porsche Tax, Auckland Tax or a bit of both?
Just the free market at work, I suspect. I get work done outside Auckland and don't perceive a regional discount.

Warwick will be expecting a finish commensurate to the car quality and that will cost.

However as I found with John (Racoguy) and Profile, the well known shops are not the only businesses in town who can achieve the quality enthusiasts want.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Brilliant. Just need the bolt OD specs and find someone who can bend a threaded rod each end. I'm guessing the rod needs treating for strength. Not sure what the full load would be but shouldn't think any more than 150kg?
Pretty sure they're 10mm bolts - but don't take my word for it!

No need to heat treat the rod. My eyeball calipers say 5/8" hex?

http://www.easysteel.co.nz/site_file...lbook.pdf?dl=1

- look at page 19.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

I admit To not being an expert on such things but the moderate level of knowledge that we all Have with greasy bits and body works is enough to detect the **** being taken.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I admit To not being an expert on such things but the moderate level of knowledge that we all Have with greasy bits and body works is enough to detect the **** being taken.
The reality is I suspect Stefan didnt want the work. These marque accredited/aligned body shops are ding volume business for the insurers. If its a Merc/RR/Lambo/Porsche and it gets damaged then they are one of two in Auckland to do the work etc. Their business model doesnt support tricky jobs that can have unknown time required and take up valuable space etc. Im nt putting words in their mouth but suggest if the job looked too small and fiddly they may have priced it out of market so as not to have the work (or if they did make a good margin). Same is happening in the building space right now just ask Paul or any tradie. For this reason these shops dont suit budget enthusiasts or those needing full restos on old cars.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The reality is I suspect Stefan didnt want the work. These marque accredited/aligned body shops are ding volume business for the insurers. If its a Merc/RR/Lambo/Porsche and it gets damaged then they are one of two in Auckland to do the work etc. Their business model doesnt support tricky jobs that can have unknown time required and take up valuable space etc. Im nt putting words in their mouth but suggest if the job looked too small and fiddly they may have priced it out of market so as not to have the work (or if they did make a good margin). Same is happening in the building space right now just ask Paul or any tradie. For this reason these shops dont suit budget enthusiasts or those needing full restos on old cars.
Makes sense, although why not just say it the way it is and have a selection of other shops to refer the person to?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any regulatory/sprint guys request a marque?
Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Did any regulatory/sprint guys request a marque?
Not that I know of. I didn't.

I've been working through options for both shade and in car cooling. It could be as simple as a throw away gazebo next to the car.

For those that haven't done this before. Long days in the sun will fry you very quickly. Shade is at a premium.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 AM
Pel
Pro

Long days in the sun will fry you very quickly. Shade is at a premium.
My thoughts exactly
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
My thoughts exactly
A smart idea is to get a group of 5 or 6 together and arrange a communal shade space. Maybe a 6x3 gazebo. Then a few Chairs, chilly bin, tools etc.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 AM
Pel
Pro

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Sounds good, I'm gonna tow my car down so can transport gear. Paul is there going to be space for this near our cars? Sorry to be a pain..
Old 01-07-2016, 04:43 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not that I know of. I didn't.

I've been working through options for both shade and in car cooling. It could be as simple as a throw away gazebo next to the car.

For those that haven't done this before. Long days in the sun will fry you very quickly. Shade is at a premium.
Agree. I am happy to contribute to any costs to share shade if something larger can be organized.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?