Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that's the key to getting the most speed out of the 964 John. Confidence in the car and its set up and a touch of brave into the corners....I see a sub 1.19 on the cards - no pressure ;-)

Last edited by Macca; 10-11-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ The formula is simple, PSS10s, replace rubber with semi solid throughout, 221's and good geo - and given JMc's car weights the same as a stock C2, would be into 16's-17's in the right hands?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

JMc is it too late to re-gear the car with shorter gears 3,4&5? For another $2K you will get a significant performance gain?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:39 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bathurst is getting riveting. Hope it rains and Van Gisbergen gets a shot at these guys.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ The formula is simple, PSS10s, replace rubber with semi solid throughout, 221's and good geo - and given JMc's car weights the same as a stock C2, would be into 16's-17's in the right hands?
Agreed but Johns been resistant to suspension advice for years Paul :-o

Pel. Not wrong. Small rain and was hoping for a dump but it doesn't look likely to come...
Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Bathurst is getting riveting. Hope it rains and Van Gisbergen gets a shot at these guys.
And if Gizzy or another Kiwi can't make it, I'm hoping David Reynolds takes it out. I listened to the controversial interview and read Andre Heimgartner's comments on the fine he got hit with for the way he described Renee and Simona's car (which he'd likely already done with them in private). Bad choice of words from David in public but ironically it just reflected that he fully included Renee and Simona in his circle of mates. It's when male racing drivers single the female ones out for special attention by being harder on them or softer than the rest that you'd really need to worry.

Hope he takes it out and they join him on the podium to just make it so much more obvious that they're all mates.

He made bad headlines though, so from that point of view he probably deserved the fine but god help us when racing interviews all start with "well, it was a game of two halves..." etc.

But I'm sure he wishes he just kept that particular dig for the garage they shared.

Also looks like race control there is less keen on him winning - apparently lost a fair bit of time being held up for several laps behind a backmarker without them getting a blue flag out for him.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-11-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

JMc is it too late to re-gear the car with shorter gears 3,4&5? For another $2K you will get a significant performance gain?
Been through this. Try $2000 a gear set at cost plus from FD plus freight and GST Buba. If you want to do 1 & 2 add 4500 NZD for the first gear & pinion set plus a 2nd gear set. Parts alone to upgrade ROW G box for 993 to 32 gear set (RS/cup) around 12k NZD in parts alone!!

Simply not worth it unless you are racing for money and have maxed out your lap times. When most people f us have 1-2s on the table just in skill improvement through tuition or seat time then that's the obvious place to spend the money?
Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safety car is out! Hopefully this will give the Kiwis a chance. Going to be an excellent finish.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Been through this. Try $2000 a gear set at cost plus from FD plus freight and GST Buba. If you want to do 1 & 2 add 4500 NZD for the first gear & pinion set plus a 2nd gear set. Parts alone to upgrade ROW G box for 993 to 32 gear set (RS/cup) around 12k NZD in parts alone!!

Simply not worth it unless you are racing for money and have maxed out your lap times. When most people f us have 1-2s on the table just in skill improvement through tuition or seat time then that's the obvious place to spend the money?
Nothing wrong with the standard gearing for HD, or at least I've never felt I've had to compromise on a gear choice.

As for suspension, the RUF Bilsteins and H&R reds are fine. The 1.19.95 was set over 18 months ago on a borrowed set of front shocks as the RUFs were broken. There's more to come without changing the set up.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^ You can only lead a horse to water.........??
Old 10-11-2015, 03:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^ You can only lead a horse to water.........??
True. I just figure there's more in the driver than the car. My PB was a relatively conservative effort
Old 10-11-2015, 04:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
True. I just figure there's more in the driver than the car. My PB was a relatively conservative effort PB Hampton Downs 26 Feb 14 - YouTube
Nice lines John. Looking to run T1 more like that with free track next time too. What rubber were you on?

Also just bumped into this post on 32v 928 oil starvation in left handers:
http://www.performance928.com/cgi-bi...ss_parent=1128
Something for later (about '86 up) 928 owners to think about maybe if running on track, particularly if Tony will reverse Hampton's direction to be anticlockwise, as rumoured.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-11-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John there's a good second on the table there mate.

Not sure if these are your typical lines in the 964 at the track Probably someone like Paul, Neil, Pete or Chris etc can commend but I think you turn in to early for T10 and then teeter of the throttle. Looks like you are about to double apex it as you turn in early there but you dont double apex rather hug the inside. Double apex or taking a wider start with tightening line kissing the apex 3/4 around just before being catapulted via momentum to the outside (left) side of the track would work better there? Either that or do the double apex which I find works well in the older chassis. T1 brake later (150-100) and sit out left longer turning in later then using the momentum to catapult the car around the corner again kissing the apex before running through to the left hand side of the track. You know when you got both right as you can feel the extra speed you are carrying through the corner. Neither corner is easy to master (I can only get the correct lines in the same lap perhaps twice a session) but you have done alot of laps so it will come to you quick enough. Lots of tdifferent was of T2 and up and over and T6 etc but the time savings are smaller. B51 could try a later turn in to get a straight line across the apex, again its a technical corner to get right and you know when your do.

ALL IMO of course. Everyone is carrying slightly different lines and teh C4 may make a difference over the C2 as to how you approach these but just watching the videos (I spend more time watching my track videos and critiquing them that driving on the track ha ha) those were the most obvious areas that stood out for making savings. Its good to know there is time on the table. I reckon you can find that on 11 Jan!

P.S. Ive taken the 993 to HD only twice but I have some in car footage form the last time in July 2014 and if I can move to a new internet provider later this week I will try and get a clip up so you can compare the lines (mine aren't great - Paul, Steve R or the others would be far better to post their footage). I think I have some in the high 16s and low 17s on film.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Nice lines John. Looking to run T1 more like that with free track next time too. What rubber were you on?
Z221. I'm tempted to bring home some fronts from Aus so I have a set for a few years to come. They are my favourite tyre bar none.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John there's a good second on the table there mate. Not sure if these are your typical lines in the 964 at the track Probably someone like Paul, Neil, Pete or Chris etc can commend but I think you turn in to early for T10 and then teeter of the throttle. Looks like you are about to double apex it as you turn in early there but you dont double apex rather hug the inside. Double apex or taking a wider start with tightening line kissing the apex 3/4 around just before being catapulted via momentum to the outside (left) side of the track would work better there? Either that or do the double apex which I find works well in the older chassis. T1 brake later (150-100) and sit out left longer turning in later then using the momentum to catapult the car around the corner again kissing the apex before running through to the left hand side of the track. You know when you got both right as you can feel the extra speed you are carrying through the corner. Neither corner is easy to master (I can only get the correct lines in the same lap perhaps twice a session) but you have done alot of laps so it will come to you quick enough. Lots of tdifferent was of T2 and up and over and T6 etc but the time savings are smaller. B51 could try a later turn in to get a straight line across the apex, again its a technical corner to get right and you know when your do. ALL IMO of course. Everyone is carrying slightly different lines and teh C4 may make a difference over the C2 as to how you approach these but just watching the videos (I spend more time watching my track videos and critiquing them that driving on the track ha ha) those were the most obvious areas that stood out for making savings. Its good to know there is time on the table. I reckon you can find that on 11 Jan! P.S. Ive taken the 993 to HD only twice but I have some in car footage form the last time in July 2014 and if I can move to a new internet provider later this week I will try and get a clip up so you can compare the lines (mine aren't great - Paul, Steve R or the others would be far better to post their footage). I think I have some in the high 16s and low 17s on film.
Yes, that was only seven months into this track addiction so sun deeper on turn 10 now. I definitely think there's a new C4 record in me this season.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?