Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I took the R to Caffeine and classics, only to hear some plonker walk past reciting what Chris Harris had remarked about it needing more power. Obviously the bench racer had never driven one and I suspect it's the same with the C4. BTW I think Herman weighs 1,370 kg as driven.
Needing more power and wanting more power are two completely different things! We all want more power. But he clearly had never driven one...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Yes but she's had a few enhancements.
Leather and suspenders. I'm starting to find it a bit weird talking about Mr Black like that

Warwick, what have you done with changing Mr Black's coils, even tho the others were non-original it suggests you may be in the same boat. Were original C4 suspension non-height adjustable?
I've just finished the install. Takes a while when you have only an hour at a time. My heads been in the sand until now. It's a timely reminder that I need to contact my insurer to see what their reaction is. Be interested to hear your continued experience
Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I will gas the air con, if it leaks I will drop the car weight by 17kg
17 kg. I'm guessing that's the compressor, condenser, evaporator, and other ancillaries?

Thanks again for the loan of the bleeder
Old 10-09-2015, 02:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Another deal interrupted http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=958810061

I don't know who contacts these sellers after they list, but I would have been only partially interested at the initial $37,000 reserve let alone the amended $60,000 reserve. Good luck if they sold it but I somehow doubt it sold anywhere near e reserve off market. If it did then Herman is worth moonbeams.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:53 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Another deal interrupted http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=958810061

I don't know who contacts these sellers after they list, but I would have been only partially interested at the initial $37,000 reserve let alone the amended $60,000 reserve. Good luck if they sold it but I somehow doubt it sold anywhere near e reserve off market. If it did then Herman is worth moonbeams.
I have my suspicions on who is advising this seller
Old 10-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve remove the frame and just mount the plate as it is. Much cleaner look IMO as that heavy frame and over hand is unsightly?

Probably a PCNZ'er trying to protect his 964 residuals (or he paid too much recently for a similar car LOL!). Its happened before as a few here know. The reserve is bogus the sale Im sure was conducted offline and the reserve was to ensure a live bidder did not win. Lotsa BS.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Why would the aircon be 2k to fix? Porsche tax?
Can't be that difficult surely, simple sytem after all.
Gas it up, find the leak and fix it.
I think half the problem with these cars is a lot of shops see you coming and think.....Porsche, he can afford it.
thinking outside the box sometimes can bea good thing, I decided a while ago I'd like to retain my aircon (also does't work) but I'll update it with a better evaporator and smaller more modern / efficient compressor.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-959003178.htm

^^^^ might be of interest for the 964 clan?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:51 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Been for sale for ever, seems no one is keen.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Leather and suspenders. I'm starting to find it a bit weird talking about Mr Black like thatI've just finished the install. Takes a while when you have only an hour at a time. My heads been in the sand until now. It's a timely reminder that I need to contact my insurer to see what their reaction is. Be interested to hear your continued experience
I had Dean write a letter on Porsche letterhead stating that adjustable ride height was a factory option to get mine to pass import certification.

If it's about altered ride height I seem to remember some rubbish restrictions around that which no one cared about.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-959003178.htm

^^^^ might be of interest for the 964 clan?
If it was half that price I would buy it and get it painted for Herman, but it's more than fully priced there and Steve R's harness bar is more effective for my use.

Steve's view is that 911s are strong enough to make a half cage largely redundant on the track. The real benefit is in a full cage, which is not going to happen with a road going car.

Last edited by John McM; 10-09-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I had Dean write a letter on Porsche letterhead stating that adjustable ride height was a factory option to get mine to pass import certification. If it's about altered ride height I seem to remember some rubbish restrictions around that which no one cared about.
The threshold guidance is not height adjustable unless OE. Also must be not lower than 100mm. Turbos came adjustable and my height is greater than 100mm. But the problem is insurance are saying ok sure it's fine if you say so but if you have an accident and we decide it is not road legal then not our problem. It's a crap situation if the assessor isn't willing to take a look before an accident, then might claim after an accident it's not legal.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The threshold guidance is not height adjustable unless OE. Also must be not lower than 100mm. Turbos came adjustable and my height is greater than 100mm. But the problem is insurance are saying ok sure it's fine if you say so but if you have an accident and we decide it is not road legal then not our problem. It's a crap situation if the assessor isn't willing to take a look before an accident, then might claim after an accident it's not legal.
Trying to get something definitive out of an insurance company is seeking blood from a stone and duty of care mostly seems to go back the other way. Adjustable coilovers are high on my wishlist too but have steered clear to date for the reasons you're seeing. Chris's approach may be a good start but if you manage to square the circle completely Jason, please drop me a PM with the secret.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Those Rotiforms look ok. Would suit a modern car. But suspect that they're cast, heavy and not up to track use.

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
17 kg. I'm guessing that's the compressor, condenser, evaporator, and other ancillaries?
Plus 5kg in weight loss thanks to the summer heat!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That 964 half cage looks pretty poorly designed and executed (bit of a back yard job). I wouldn't pay $1000 for it either.

Steve says 911s are strong and dont need a half cage. Put the car over a bank into the bush on any one of the 10,000 km of fast road or Targa stages we have done in the last 3 years and Id beg to differ. Stiffens the shell (I lift front AND rear wheels now on forecourt driveway exits!) and allows passengers to ride with you on the track as well.

Who am I kidding. Looks sh*t hot as well IMO! :-) If you are making a Rod with attitude I think you need a nicely made half cage....

John. The reason I state 2K is because if you were paying the labour to do this job (rates at around 12 hrs, mine took 11, Graeme W did his with a mate and took 17-20, and another shop I know charged 12) then the cost of the updated Kuhl condenser and evaporator I bought from the USA (was around $560 USD plus freight and GST - so call that $1500 now, and while you are there replace O rings and drier) plus the labour at $80+GST ph is around $2700-3000. The condenser matrix of course is located under the front fuel tank in the most PITA place you can think and requires almost total dismantling of the rear HVAC control units and ducting tio get the tank ut then access. Usually some wire brushing and paint treatment then paint is needed down there as the OEM matrix corrodes (the serpetine tubes were designed too close together and condensation plays a role). They effectively rot out and make a mess down there. The Kuhl system is available in the states and is an improved and more efficient condenser design. We thought mine had gone after 21 years but when we got to it found instead an unrealted issue but after all that labour fitted up the new condenser and evapourator as supplied because I wasnt going back there for another 20+ years. New system is more efficient but still not to modern standards. As we go in there early no rust or need to treat but ive seen some really messy stuff where they have rotted out.

Im not sure what you would charge for doing a 964/993 air con condenser/evaporator replacement but if you could charge the labour out around $40 an hr I think we could find you plenty of work!

As for John McM he has the car in bits already and his labour is "free" so putting some dye in there and leak testing it could point to the area of issue and if its under the tank that might be a good chance to make it all nice and tidy in there espeically if that ld matrix has rotted out.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?