Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rare 3.4L model http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-828972080.htm
Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
The last Tipo for sale in NZ (the red car) went to Aussie to be built into a race car.

Nice looking car but high miles..........
Old 01-02-2015, 05:44 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
John, another mod to consider 964 with 997 GT3 center exhaust - YouTube
Ahead of you already John, I bought a 997 GT3 exhaust 7-8 months ago but it is stuck in the UK still waiting till someone has stuff coming over.
I inteded to do that right from the get go, sounds great doesn't it?
This gives a better indication of sound
Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Ahead of you already John, I bought a 997 GT3 exhaust 7-8 months ago but it is stuck in the UK still waiting till someone has stuff coming over. I inteded to do that right from the get go, sounds great doesn't it? This gives a better indication of sound Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Me9Y9c99TQ
That is pure manic 964 music. Just took Herman around the Bay's - there is no substitute!

I think you need to give us a full build spec. This is sounding epic already.

Last edited by John McM; 01-02-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Matt - I see the 996 RS in Aussie sold - did you ever find out what $$ they where asking for it?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

That is pure manic 964 music. Just took Herman around the Bay's - there is no substitute!

I think you need to give us a full build spec. This is sounding epic already.
That wouldn't be any fun, besides I keep adding more stuff to the build as I plan it.
Still deciding a colour, narrowed it down to Orange, off white or Green.
Thinking the off white is a safer option for future resale.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Just lurked through a few pages of ranting to catch up. 2015: the year RSG vented! All justifiable though. The media hype on speed has done nothing but result in generally horrid driving conditions on main routes.

Returned to Auckland last night. My better half wanted to head up the NI via Taupo to visit a hot spring, so spent more than I would have liked on SH1. Headed north from there via SH2, but hit almost standstill traffic and decided to take a 'shortcut' via the Hunua ranges, which was all but empty. Great scenery and driving. Definitely worth revisiting.

Originally Posted by O2GO
Ok, so who has been out driving their Porsche?Please tell us about it and an occasional pic would be nice too. :-)
I spent a week exploring roads around Motueka/Golden Bay. Lots and lots of fun. In part due to extracting old friends from their lives of feeding/cleaning/consoling children for as much time as their partners would allow for us to go terrorise the B roads. Unsure if they're allowed to invite me back...

Just reading the road toll stats article on the Herald. I've yet to see anyone other than the AA challenge the spin that the Police put on the obsession with speed. The trip back up North was unremarkable except for two things: 1. Cops and Speed Cameras placed in non risky areas 2. The dangerous overtaking. In years gone by, dangerous overtaking was typically warp speed manoeuvres in tight road areas. Now it involves long periods exposed to danger as people weren't willing to use speed to reduce the time exposed. Unfortunately, the Valentine power cord was locked up in the Turbo 3.6 so I had to drive the Cayenne with no warnings. I also had multiple people following me as a radar shield so I was wary of their limited visibility and took things carefully. Sorry to say, but if it isn't a windy B road with full protection, then the Cayenne is the vehicle of choice.
The scariest outcome of the speed crackdown has been the slow overtake. Watched it countless times yesterday, and left a big gap every time I saw it happen in front of me (am sure I pissed off a few people behind me but not willing to risk getting caught up on someone else's mess).

I also noticed an increase in yellow lines, in seemingly strange places, usually followed by broken whites around a long blind sweeper...

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Why Italians don't design Porsches................
Germany for cars, Italy for passengers...
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Repeat assault of SH22 again this time the other direction. Only got 45km before coming up on another car this time, still pretty amazing, I think Ive found my favourite road. Suggest we organise a small RSG assault Sunday 11, lunch in Pirongia then return....
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 PM
cbnz
Instructor

Had a drive today out between Matamata and Tamahere, I think Michael should know these roads, mostly narrow, no centre line or corner speed warnings, no cars or policemen, maybe you should try these roads as well, Google Piakonui Rd
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - Did you spend the night at Steve's?

Nice photo CBNZ.............
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cbnz
Had a drive today out between Matamata and Tamahere, I think Michael should know these roads, mostly narrow, no centre line or corner speed warnings, no cars or policemen, maybe you should try these roads as well, Google Piakonui Rd
We were in Tamahere this morning visiting friends! I haven't tried that route to Matamata but keen to give it a go. I've just saved the route we took for future reference although it's no secret. SHW22 is 62km and both ways we encountered 1 car only. It's the best part as you struggle to exceed the speed limit 90% of the time so it's tights but fast wide and flowing with 35, tonnes of 45 and some 55 marketed corners. It's lined and signed and surface is excellent for 70% ok for 15.% and a bit lumpy & bumpy for 15% where you have to reduce you speed. You skirt and touch the top of Raglan harbour. Additionally there are three more roads that make up the route all around 15-20km long and each excellent but different with one (SHW39 skirting Pironiga Forest) being and excellent fast flowing road but subject to a little more traffic. So you get roughly 120km of the journey on fantastic empty roads. It's roughly 380km return from central Auckland so 4.5 hours driving plus an hour for lunch. A 10am to 3pm driving day departing deity gas station. Paul we stayed with some friends in Pokuru just outside Te Awamuti but did not touch base with Steve as I think he was away at the lake on break..,,
Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks for the driving adventure reports. Only 2 more sleeps until I pickup the RS60 and can start posting my own :-P
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
We were in Tamahere this morning visiting friends! I haven't tried that route to Matamata but keen to give it a go. I've just saved the route we took for future reference although it's no secret. SHW22 is 62km and both ways we encountered 1 car only. It's the best part as you struggle to exceed the speed limit 90% of the time so it's tights but fast wide and flowing with 35, tonnes of 45 and some 55 marketed corners. It's lined and signed and surface is excellent for 70% ok for 15.% and a bit lumpy & bumpy for 15% where you have to reduce you speed. You skirt and touch the top of Raglan harbour. Additionally there are three more roads that make up the route all around 15-20km long and each excellent but different with one (SHW39 skirting Pironiga Forest) being and excellent fast flowing road but subject to a little more traffic. So you get roughly 120km of the journey on fantastic empty roads. It's roughly 380km return from central Auckland so 4.5 hours driving plus an hour for lunch. A 10am to 3pm driving day departing deity gas station. Paul we stayed with some friends in Pokuru just outside Te Awamuti but did not touch base with Steve as I think he was away at the lake on break..,,
Well done Macca - you need to share with us the routes you have found so we can arrange a few more RSG Sunday Drives.......

Can you do a print out?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?