Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Yep john, at least you got three to choose from..I can see why many have multiple Porsche.. I just ticked a lifelong bucket list item and am hooked..damn, should have stuck to golf
Yes, and like children they have different personalities. That's why many of us are stuck in the 964 time warp. This morning it's 996 TT to the airport. It's wet and dark, I'll love the drive. If it was a hot dry weekend drive I'd be itching for the Turbo 3.6 or C4.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
To get my first taste of 911 driving I had to leave Vila at 1:00 am on New Year 2000, fly to Sydney, then fly to Auckland. Simon met me in his '89 GP White C4 and I drove it to Wellington in torrential rain. Almost crashed it 400m into the drive. Stopped at lights in Parnell and selected reverse instead of first. Lucky I didn't gun it. A Mr Bean moment.
John - exactly my first experience in a 964 in about the same year too. I took an 89 Red C4 for a test drive from 911Virgin with Tom in the car, got to a roundabout not far from their yard, selected reverse but quick as a flash, Tom who had seen this from newbies many times before had it out into neutral before damage could be done! I still cringe at that moment - lucky I was already hooked from the 2km just driven - and I bought the car.

As for Vanuatu - bad luck Macca - but the roads are still waiting for you. Time to drive instead of obsessing over those damn robots!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That reverse gear problem is obviously a newbie issue. However, you adapt quickly. Never did it again!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
NZ 911
Advanced

Update for those heading to Rennsport. I have booked at the Mantra Parramatta which is one of the Rennsport suggested hotels. Direct through the Mantra website using their 'specials' gets AUD 129 a night which is AUD30 less than the Rennsport rate. As AUD 30 is about NZD 300 it is worth saving.
I am hoping that by staying at one of the suggested hotels I might be able to hitch a ride to/from Eastern Creek. Got to hope!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

APRIL HDs TRACKDAY:
Just a bump to register interest on the Europacific Website if you haven't already (link below). Spread the word around other Porschephiles so we can get to 10. (Note subtract one form the 13th date - at the moment the 20th is the most popular).

http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday...php?topic=11.0

Jsivvy: Love your machine. Will have to get the two 3.3s together sometime.

Anyone tempted by the three 930s on TM at the moment?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
APRIL HDs TRACKDAY:
Just a bump to register interest on the Europacific Website if you haven't already (link below). Spread the word around other Porschephiles so we can get to 10. (Note subtract one form the 13th date - at the moment the 20th is the most popular).

http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday...php?topic=11.0

Jsivvy: Love your machine. Will have to get the two 3.3s together sometime.

Anyone tempted by the three 930s on TM at the moment?
The white one (930) is lovely - I'd happily own that if there was room for a pure toy car.

I voted for 13th - unfortunately the 20th is a no go with my daughter's first 'teenage' birthday. Shame the lights go out and no more twilights after the 3rd April.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
356Downunder. Welcome on board mate (Bob), wondered when we would be graced with your presence around here!!

Now boys if you want to see the ultimate garage check this one out! His mint 993 C2S isnt even in the picture yet! Every one of those machines is a superlative example of the species be sure of that. My favorites (against common consensus I'm sure) are your '64C in that unusual metallic (and the history that goes with it) and your 993 Targa (which is just a sweet, totally original NZ new example). The best of the past and the not so distant past!

356Downunder. Will give you a call over the weekend to organise a meet up at the storage unit for those parts next week. Apparently my 993 is living underground at CCS next to much more exotic metal so that's first stop of the big bird tommorow....and then a good 300km thrash around the central Nth Island on Sunday with Rons crew (hopefully Massa too).

Cant wait. Stinking hot here....

Phil. Yes still troppo in Vanuatu. Yes I know Alistair - hes still kicking around here. Also Charles Brown (don't see him much these days) interesting character that one!
Hi Macca
I'll try and organise a photoshoot to get all 4 sitting side by side in the garage!!!! Could be a bit tricky getting the door open to get out though!! The purists would say that the silver metallic 356 isn't "original colour" which is true however believe it or not the colour tends to get more admirers than most others. I need to get the 993 Targa (manual) on the market soon....will be hard to part with......the C2S (ex Graham Whittaker) is getting a fair bit of use as is the 59A 356 these days.
Look forward to hearing from you on the weekend......there is a Technical evening at Contis tonite which I'm going along to.
Cheers
Bob.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Bob. Unfortunately I will miss tonight due to my pane being broken in Brisbane. They have scheduled me on a half past midnight departure getting into NZ 5.30 am Thursday if it happens at all and I have a full day booked Thursday so Ill be a wreak but will true to catch the guys at the Milford Cruising Club in the evening. Dean has my 993 in underground storage so will be parking it outside the workshop this evening so I can pick it up very early the next morning. Im sure you will see it tonight and Ill have to wipe the paw prints off of it again before I drive it tommorow LOL!

A photo shoot with all four in the garage would be epic. Do it before you sell the 993 or 356A! The 993 Targa should attract some interest as soon as you get it up on TM.

John said its raining. Better be sunny for the next 10 days! Ill send the Les-bots back out if the sun doesn't shine!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John said its raining. Better be sunny for the next 10 days! Ill send the Les-bots back out if the sun doesn't shine!
Nope - sunny now

And looking good for the next 10 day... fingers crossed
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Best new Ive heard all day Pete. Still awaiting confirmation the plane is fixed. First time I've been put out with over 25 flights on Air Van so cant be too upset with them really...

23 top temp? It got a bit cool here last night with all the rain, I think it hit 24 at some stage early this morning! Must pack fleece...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep - definitely chilling down here now, esp in the evenings. So long as its fine during the day and rains all night that would be perfect right now.

Went to pick up the refurbed track rims from Wheelfixit yesterday but found they had put the old tyres back on (when they were supposed to leave off) so instead went and picked up the new track tyres from Megatyre and dropped them in to Wheelfixit for fitting - they have to wait another day or so to let the paint cure before removing the wrong ones. So new boots will be done in plenty of time for 29th - who knew you could get so excited about wheels and tyres.... but they do look good!

Hopefully will have a new fan belt sensor from Type911 in time as well - and then just hope the 20 year old oil lines don't give out...!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Ha, I picked mine up from the previous owner and drove off in third. Got home to a text saying, "think you pulled away in fourth"...reply "no, was third!". Didn't do the reverse thing luckily.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
jsivvy
Intermediate

NZ964C4, yes, would be good to see another 3.3.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last night, I admitted defeat on the oil line and today had it fixed in situ by a mechanic. It took him very little time. It dented my pride in respect to self-reliance, but the desire to move forward with the Trackday plans was a strong motive.

Next week it will get a thorough steam clean, oil change, spark plug change and brake bleed. Then it's out to HD. Subsequent months will see the wheels, tyres, seating etc evolve.

As for the oil pipes, my car shows no sign of abuse, but heck it's dirty with oil seepages along the various oil lines. You wouldn't drive on 23 year old tyres so give a thought to the state of your oil lines.

Right now I'm preparing a a 'filter to cooler' refresh. The thought of something giving out on the track doesn't bear thinking about, for both others and my safety.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, do they not have wheel arch liners in the 964 to protect all those lines from getting covered in road grime?

One good thing with the track type bucket seats is you can remove the bottom cushion easily to give yourself a few more cm on the track with a helmet on....

Sounds like its slowly coming together. How often does the timing require doing on the 964? I have moved to solid lifters (backdated to 964 specs) due to the more aggressive cam and reliability for when the next stage of work takes the rev limiter to 7800 rpm. I think Dean said this was important to have done every 20k km but wondering what 964 owners have typically been doing?

Matt did you sell your 964 already?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?