Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 08:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Congratulations Mr. A. Wayne

Well over 13,000 views for this thread.
Puts it rather high up on the Rennlist Racing & DE all time post list.

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Juan Pablo Montoya has backed Fernando Alonso's split with mclaren.

www.autosport.com

The Colombian winner of seven Grand Prix, scored mostly for Williams, was considered one of F1's very best drivers until a less than two year stint at McLaren sent him running for cover in NASCAR.

To the Spanish news agency EFE, Montoya described Alonso's star-crossed tenure in 2007 as 'a similar situation' to the one he faced at McLaren a couple of years ago.

"I understand where Fernando is coming from. I felt the same," he said.

"He never felt comfortable in the team and the arrival of Lewis Hamilton made it worse," he added.
Cliquez ici...

Montoya said it is right that the pairing has split after a single acrimonious season.

"You can not be where you feel simply bad," he explained. "What he should look for now is a team that can give him back his confidence to be fully competitive again," he advised.
Old 11-26-2007 | 12:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Spanish officials , hope spy scandal for Renault does not hurt Alonso.

The highest-ranking Spanish motor sport official hopes the new espionage scandal involving Renault does not affect Fernando Alonso's future in Formula One.

Carlos Gracia, also a FIA Vice-President and member of the World Motor Sport Council that will meet early next month, played down the new spying allegations in conversation with the Spanish newspaper AS.

Alonso is believed to have postponed his decision to return to Renault next year until the World Council considers imposing any sanctions on the French team in Monaco on December 6.

"I cannot say anything about this matter," Gracia said. "The only thing is that this sort of thing has always happened in Formula One. I don't know whether you can call it espionage or not."

It has been suggested that a penalty on the scale of McLaren's $100m fine this year could convince Renault to pull out of Formula One.

"Something like that could make Fernando change his mind," Gracia admits of the prospect of a huge fine, "but the impression I get is that he does have other options."

He added: "What I want is that Fernando chooses the best option for him, and I hope that can happen."
Old 11-27-2007 | 01:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Red Bull has talks with Alonso.

Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz has confirmed speculation that his Formula One team is in talks about 2008 with the newly available double World Champion Fernando Alonso.

Despite contracted existing drivers Mark Webber and David Coulthard's recent assertions that they do not fear losing their seats, Austrian billionaire Mateschitz told the Swiss weekly Motorsport Aktuell that Red Bull is seeking a minimally two-year deal with the Spaniard.

Renault and Toyota are considered to be the only other teams in the running to accommodate Alonso, who is 26, next season.

"We want a two-year contract (with Alonso) with an option for a third," Mateschitz said, adding that he sees the multi-year term as necessary. "What I hear is that he is negotiating with the other teams only for one year. Such a deal is for us out of the question.
Cliquez ici...
"

"We would prefer to wait and demonstrate that for 2009 we can build a car that is capable of attracting one of the best Grand Prix drivers," Mateschitz added.

Despite holding out for a multi-year deal, the 63-year-old team owner said he is hopeful that Alonso will consider joining his Milton Keynes-based outfit in 2008.

"Of the teams that Alonso currently has to choose from, we are, in any case, an alternative with great potential," he said.
Old 11-27-2007 | 02:54 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

That would be a big gamble for Alonso to agree to a multi year deal with an unproven team despite their potential. Although, it may be his best offer financially.
Old 11-27-2007 | 03:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mitch236
That would be a big gamble for Alonso to agree to a multi year deal with an unproven team despite their potential. Although, it may be his best offer financially.
Didn't Toyota offer him $50M + ? That seemed like a pretty big $$ offer IIRC.

Much like Alex Rodriguez, I think some of the team owners are wondering if the whiney little brat is worth the price/conditions/strings and simply deciding 'No'.

At least MS stuck around long enough to actually build a championship team.....oh hell, now I"ve done it.......A. Wayne incoming
Old 11-27-2007 | 03:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
At least MS stuck around long enough to actually build a championship team.....oh hell, now I"ve done it.......A. Wayne incoming
Old 11-27-2007 | 06:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LOL Ray,

Love the signature, Look at you! Hans , nomex g-string and R radials Whoosh
Old 11-29-2007 | 01:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso to Honda?

Fernando Alonso spent an entire day at Honda's Brackley factory this week and even had a seat fitting, reports from Germany on Thursday said.

www.f1-live.com

Sport Bild claims that the double world champion, who is still yet to commit to a team for 2008 after splitting with McLaren, is 'nearing an agreement' with the Japanese outfit that recently tabbed Ross Brawn as its new team boss.

It is reported that the first approach to Alonso about possibly joining Honda was made by F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, after the previously Nick Fry-led team embarrassingly netted just six points with its RA107 package this year.

The publication said Alonso would take the place of Rubens Barrichello; the Brazilian veteran who would move to Honda's satellite team Super Aguri in 2008 as Takuma Sato's new team-mate.

Alonso's manager, Luis Garcia Abad, on Thursday was not contactable.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2007 | 01:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Sport Bild claims that the double world champion, who is still yet to commit to a team for 2008 after splitting with McLaren, is 'nearing an agreement' with the Japanese outfit that recently tabbed Ross Brawn as its new team boss.
So what would your take on that be? A true "sorting out" year, followed by a year of strong podiums with a championship run in 2010, or just a waiting year for Alonso till he gets a better ride?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-29-2007 | 02:13 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

In all honesty, I think Alonso will have to rebuild his status within the community. Honda might prove a good move for him as he can't really find a competitive ride for next year anyway. Although isn't there a rumor about Alonso not being able to sign with a factory team for one year? If that's true, I don't see how he can drive for Honda.
Old 11-29-2007 | 02:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

NOt sure what you mean by rebuild his status Mitch, Alonso is still the driver to have at this stage in F1 ,while there are others , i still feel Alonso is the most complete amongst the top 3 drivers .

Bernie Eccelstone:

Bernie Ecclestone, president of the Organization of Formula One, in an interview with the German website "auto-motor-und-sport online commended the technical qualities of Fernando Alonso at this point in his career as comparable to the German Michael Schumacher .

". When asked why Renault had fallen so much in this season, Ecclestone replied: "I think they have lacked Fernando Alonso, Fernando like Michael Schumacher is like a great pilot that drives the team." Top drivers motivate the team, insurance, as well provide better information to the engineers. "

Ecclestone admits not knowing what happened between Fernando Alonso and Mclaren: "Alonso apparently was not given what was promised when he was hired by Mclaren. When they ( Mclaren ) signed Hamilton, who had not driven a Formula One car before , If you said, 'Do not worry, he is a debutant, a nobody and you are the champion of the world and our number one '. probably he thought he was going to have the same treatment as Michael Schumacher at Ferrari. Then, suddenly found that it was not so, and what's worse, perhaps more attention paid to Lewis than to him. In this case, he might have felt overshadowed and well, I suppose this became the initial problem. "

Not sure about this seat fitting with Honda ,It is obvious Alonso struck a deal
with Ferrari after Hungary , hence the testimony and evidence given against Mclaren vs none from Hamilton , it is also becoming obvious that some contract stipulation has kept both parties quiet , Mclaren from announcing Alonso replacement and Alonso from Announcing his full intentions.
My take Alonso still looking for a 1 yr deal and will go to Ferrari in 09.........
The photo with Todt speaks a thousand words, he does not extend himself like this , without reason ....
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2007 | 02:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I, for one would like to see him move to Honda. With Ross Brawn at the helm, they can pull magic in no time. Honda was a decent team just a couple of yrs ago. They had a horrible 2007 season and would definitely bounce back strong with Ross running the show. Add to that, FA and his ability to develop, you could have a team that could be fighting for podiums again next yr.
Also, to go to a team that is pretty much rock bottom and build it would make it even sweeter for Alonso..
Raj
Old 11-29-2007 | 03:30 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I would agree somewhat with that Raj, If Ross could now get Newey away from red bull for 09 , Honda might well be in the top 3. If not maybe Ross and Alonso could make a difference , it would be hard for Alonso to turn down a drive with Ferrari for 09, of course if that is still on the table for him ...
Old 11-29-2007 | 04:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
...Although isn't there a rumor about Alonso not being able to sign with a factory team for one year? If that's true, I don't see how he can drive for Honda.
Yes there is but that's just a rumor Mr. W likes to spread out because he hopes Alonso will be in Ferrari in 09... (hint: won't happen)
In his statement after McLaren released Alonso, his manager said he is free to go to any team.

Also, Alonso has now talked with Honda & Toyota and as far as I know, they are factory teams or maybe he talked with them just ti het a good deal on new Corolla or Civic...

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
...It is obvious Alonso struck a deal
with Ferrari after Hungary...
Wayne's at it again!

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors