Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 03:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default My research tells me...

I have submitted this verbiage to very reputable sources, no negative feedback as to the content:

-->The following is a sampling of Garmin Catalystcoaching piped into the driver’s earbuds encapsulated in a “Siri” style of voice:

· Keep Pushing– no improvement, or worse than average,

· Above-Average – better than your average time around this segment,

· Nice Work – better than your average time around this segment but not your best,

· New Best – this is the fastest you have been around this segment.

I absolutely love the audio coaching on the fly. The post session Opportunities....awesome.

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-30-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:45 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Peter (ProCoach):
Suggestion for Garmin - sell an instructor's package that includes a second camera, mount and cables. This would make for a quick transfer to our student's cars, provide an enhanced debrief and provide them with the video to take home.
We can piece this together for roughly $300; however, an instructor focused package with a discount would be nice. It's possible that some students would go on to buy their own Catalyst after the hands on demo.
If this is better directed elsewhere, please point by.
Thank you,
Old 07-31-2021, 02:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE
Peter (ProCoach):
Suggestion for Garmin - sell an instructor's package that includes a second camera, mount and cables. This would make for a quick transfer to our student's cars, provide an enhanced debrief and provide them with the video to take home.
We can piece this together for roughly $300; however, an instructor focused package with a discount would be nice. It's possible that some students would go on to buy their own Catalyst after the hands on demo.
If this is better directed elsewhere, please point by.
Thank you,
I offer this (albeit without the discount), but have recommended since introduction that the swap out of the camera stick-on mount for the $15 suction cup for the camera allows fifteen second tear down from your or a students car and forty-five seconds for installation, calibration and setup in your car or a students car.

This allows one system to function portably as the central core of an instructors “tool kit.” The name not downside is that the system must use the cig lighter plug (you could also use a larger power bank) but requires no additional camera/mounts/cables. The excess cabling for the camera is secured to the arm for the mag Mount.

I have been selling a lot more extra cameras and mounting bases for those who wish to transfer the tablet from one of their cars to another.

Will forward this on to Garmin, though. Meanwhile, I do stock them.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-04-2021, 12:27 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We really enjoy the one I got from you for Sally for her birthday!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Fantastic!

While there are always more complicated, complex and time consuming solutions available (I know, I sell, use and teach them all), it’s really refreshing when makers of this type of tool move in a more simple and easy to use direction.

After speaking for almost two decades to tens of thousands of drivers trying to make a decision on what to buy, so many of whom are concerned that they’ll “pick the wrong one” or miss out, it’s refreshing that this option exists.

Barring some isolated video outages and a few power supply glitches, the value that it’s brought to users has been head and shoulders above most other solutions.

I still like other solutions for specific requirements, AiM for display loggers, engine and chassis health measures, VBOX for fast, quick video and data comparisons in the same window to pinpoint exactly what to work on next and MoTeC for some pro and ex pro cars, but the Catalyst still shines.

The freedom from navigating Windows, Mac OS and iOS, or carrying a laptop or tablet at all, the express way of zeroing right in on the areas of your exceptional performance, the ability to review visually the optimal lap in total and the audio coaching has worked well for drivers all the way from newbies to established, race-winning professionals.

There’s a tool (or tools) for everyone who wants or needs more validation and targeted suggestions on ways to improve, but this is the easy one. In the end, I think that is all most drivers want. To improve…

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-04-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Andrew D. (08-04-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:05 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

I do not look at the catalyst while driving. Does the unit need to be mounted with clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS? Can gps signal get through a tinroof so I can mount the unit and not obscure my dash?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I do not look at the catalyst while driving. Does the unit need to be mounted with clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS? Can gps signal get through a tinroof so I can mount the unit and not obscure my dash?
No. Like most systems that have an integral antenna array in the case, it needs a clear view of the sky above and at least 120-150 degree view of the horizon. Super important. Some folks have mounted it to the halo bar above the windshield and below the bar ans the top of the windshield glass.

You do need to reach it to turn it on and off, you can see green or red predictive on the screen, plus lap times if you wish.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:39 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you. Best garmin support is right here in this thread.
ProCoach (08-05-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
you can see green or red predictive on the screen, plus lap times if you wish.
To be clear... you either get the green/red AND lap times... or you get nothing at all. When you turn off the lap timer, you get absolutely nothing to look at while driving... which is exactly the point. All it shows is the stop button.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
To be clear... you either get the green/red AND lap times... or you get nothing at all. When you turn off the lap timer, you get absolutely nothing to look at while driving... which is exactly the point. All it shows is the stop button.
Yep, either/or. I just don’t know anyone that turns the screen off. But glad to have that feature added a few months ago.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Yep, either/or. I just don’t know anyone that turns the screen off. But glad to have that feature added a few months ago.
I do. PCAUCR rules say we can't have visible lap timers.
Matt Romanowski (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 02:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I do. PCAUCR rules say we can't have visible lap timers.
That was the reason for that feature add. I suppose predictive color is just as corrupting to a derives mind as a lap time after the fact, maybe more!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

That was the reason for that feature add. I suppose predictive color is just as corrupting to a derives mind as a lap time after the fact, maybe more!
Oh... since I seem to be the only one using the feature... I guess it's worth mentioning that she STILL announces your lap time after the lap ends. I was genuinely surprised the first time I heard it. You can hear her here, both at the beginning (announcing the previous lap) and at the end.
It's just not showing a running timer as you drive, or the red/green thing. The screen just says "Lap timer disabled". And that IS relevant as it means you're not being pushed to chase a lap time. There's no incentive to push harder and harder if it's telling you that you're on a baller lap or something. You have no idea if you've already poached it in turn 3 until you get to the end and she tells you what you've done. And that's exactly the point.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oh... since I seem to be the only one using the feature... I guess it's worth mentioning that she STILL announces your lap time after the lap ends. I was genuinely surprised the first time I heard it.
By all means, you’re not the only one to use the blanked out screen.

The ability to turn off the lap time prompts on the audio has ALWAYS been there, since day one. It’s in your settings.

Different things are important to different folks, for sure. Cheers!
Old 08-07-2021, 12:10 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

The ability to turn off the lap time prompts on the audio has ALWAYS been there, since day one. It’s in your settings.

Different things are important to different folks, for sure. Cheers!
Hot damn! I had NO IDEA! That said... I don't think I'll do that. I don't think anyone should complain as I don't see how it matters whether I find out the time after the lap or after the session. Honestly... I'd love to have that red/green thing going. I just don't want them to ban using the thing so I've taken ALL the steps to make sure it follows their rules. Got the cage and a tether and turned off the lap timer. I've done my bit and hope to never have an issue.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching