Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 03:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Pro coach here is a screen shot of my screen on 2 separate days and you can see the optimal time didn't change at all. I'm consistent, but not THAT consistent. Plus again the optimal lap video is the same.
Attached Images     
Old 06-02-2021, 04:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

That is absolutely the first time I have ever seen that, and I use these devices every week.

Send me your email and let me get you in touch with someone on the Catalyst team.

It should NOT do this, otherwise it’s not working as it should.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-02-2021, 04:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks, I just sent you an email
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 05:12 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

OrthoJoe,

So you can get real meaningful data can you delete the prior session or save it to another device and then the garmin will have to build off today's data set?
Old 06-02-2021, 05:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
OrthoJoe,

So you can get real meaningful data can you delete the prior session or save it to another device and then the garmin will have to build off today's data set?
Deletiing the sessions should do it. Something is hung up. We’ve kicked it up to the team.

I’ve never seen this in nine months and over a hundred fifty units...
Old 06-02-2021, 07:07 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Deletiing the sessions should do it. Something is hung up. We’ve kicked it up to the team.

I’ve never seen this in nine months and over a hundred fifty units...
Maybe nobody else has been noticing but I totally agree with Joe.

2 days at VIR: 1st day, 2nd session was good and optimal lap stayed there through day 1 and into day 2 until a good 4th session knocked another 0.18 off and it stayed there.
2 days at NCM: Not as noticeable because wet first morning started it slow and steadily improved. Day 2 a good 2nd session set the benchmark for the rest of that days 4 more sessions.
3 days at Road America: By 4th session of Day 1 it reached a best optimal that stayed all through Day 2 and then Day 3 knocked another 0.25 off that stayed the rest of the day.

Going back to RA in 3 weeks and will get to see if optimal lap time resumes where left off on 5/30 or starts again from scratch on 6/21.

I agree with Joe that it needs to reset when conditions change.

Mike
Old 06-02-2021, 08:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DoxCroc

Mike
Conditions change every session. At the very least, a toggle should allow auto reset or auto keep.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

@orthojoe and I heard back from a member of the development team and it now appears that the construction of the optimal lap will be held in the device flash memory for up to four days... meaning you get four consecutive days to reset your “optimal PB.”

As a professional coach who has used construction of an optimal lap in video and data as a PRIMARY coaching tool and methodology for more than fifteen years, I don’t care for or like this recent change.

If it could be toggled on or off, fine. But I know that variables can and often do substantially change session to session and especially day to day, as well as throughout the day.

I would be very careful using this other than as a review of the best pieces of what you did.

Unfortunately, I will now need to clear the device each session to get the information I need for that session.

Disappointing...

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-03-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

If you clear the device before a session though, doesn't it need the session to come up with the guidance that it will then yell at you during the next session? Like... how can it tell you to brake later or get closer to the apex or take a breath mint if it doesn't have the previous session data to work from?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:30 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

This unannounced change seems very sub-optimal. Let's hope Garmin implements a toggle for this ASAP.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
@orthojoe and I heard back from a member of the development team and it now appears that the construction of the optimal lap will be held in the device flash memory for up to four days... meaning you get four consecutive days to reset your “optimal PB.”

As a professional coach who has used construction of an optimal lap in video and data as a PRIMARY coaching tool and methodology for more than fifteen years, I don’t care for or like this recent change.

If it could be toggled on or off, fine. But I know that variables can and often do substantially change session to session and especially day to day, as well as throughout the day.

I would be very careful using this other than as a review of the best pieces of what you did.

Unfortunately, I will now need to clear the device each session to get the information I need for that session.

Disappointing...
That is interesting. I checked with a friend who has a Catalyst. He just ran this past weekend and when looking at his device stated that he didn't have this issue as described.

So, did this come in with an update that he may not have done?

Definitely would be bad if one would have to clear after each session. Not everybody carries the stuff with'em to dl sessions to save for later review.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
If you clear the device before a session though, doesn't it need the session to come up with the guidance that it will then yell at you during the next session? Like... how can it tell you to brake later or get closer to the apex or take a breath mint if it doesn't have the previous session data to work from?
No, after three laps, it can offer real-time guidance.

If the Advanced Coaching is selected under Audio is enabled, the take a breath mint level of detail is available throughout the first session, after the first few laps are completed.

The opportunities available in post-session review of the first session can and often are used to narrow the coaching focus to THOSE opportunities.

<<An update>>

The team has expressed a desire to dig into this more.

I will reach out to the two posters with this issue for them to send more information to the team at Garmin, so they can sort this out.

Will report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
9912B (06-04-2021), Wild Weasel (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Maybe nobody else has been noticing but I totally agree with Joe.

2 days at VIR: 1st day, 2nd session was good and optimal lap stayed there through day 1 and into day 2 until a good 4th session knocked another 0.18 off and it stayed there.
2 days at NCM: Not as noticeable because wet first morning started it slow and steadily improved. Day 2 a good 2nd session set the benchmark for the rest of that days 4 more sessions.
3 days at Road America: By 4th session of Day 1 it reached a best optimal that stayed all through Day 2 and then Day 3 knocked another 0.25 off that stayed the rest of the day.

Going back to RA in 3 weeks and will get to see if optimal lap time resumes where left off on 5/30 or starts again from scratch on 6/21.

Mike
@DoxCroc you have a PM. Garmin team needs some files. @orthojoe will hopefully send me a link to his, too.

We have their attention.
The following users liked this post:
fatbillybob (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wait to purchase until toggle :P
Old 06-04-2021, 08:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor