Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 08:14 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven’t had a problem with direct wire to my v1 trac-com to my Stilo helmet, even with the trac-com turned off. Racingradios.com sells a nice junction box for your race radio that includes an 1/8” input and output jack, which works great for catalyst to Stilo, even with the race radio turned off, or for adding suplimemtal audio (race radio, catalyst) back into your video system. Im guessing it would also work great for just catalyst or catalyst+intercom.

https://www.racingradios.com/collect...ter-rrc-aux-io
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yes, that box from RR is probably the best solution. Ground isolation and impedance matching are a thing.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-18-2021, 10:50 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hmm. Wine Country Motorsports recently advertised at Catalyst to Stilo cable that was supposed to work well. I have one on order, but it hasn't shown up yet. When I first got the Catalyst I asked them about a Bluetooth connection and they echoed the other comments here that there were volume issues and they didn't recommend that connection method. So, to this point I've been using ear buds and an extender cable, but it's frustrating to not be able to use the integrated audio in my Stilo.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:14 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
Hmm. Wine Country Motorsports recently advertised at Catalyst to Stilo cable that was supposed to work well. I have one on order, but it hasn't shown up yet. When I first got the Catalyst I asked them about a Bluetooth connection and they echoed the other comments here that there were volume issues and they didn't recommend that connection method. So, to this point I've been using ear buds and an extender cable, but it's frustrating to not be able to use the integrated audio in my Stilo.
not sure what cable Wine Country is selling, but the one we carry we’ve sold a dozen or more and have never had an issues.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-18-2021, 11:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are plenty of direct cables available from the stereo 3.5mm "Raceiver" male plug (also used by the Catalyst) to the Stilo pinout "Euro IMSA" U-174 connector, as well as the Roux pinout "standard IMSA" U-174 connector.

They are different.

There are a few that say these direct cables work for them. There are many that say that the output from the Stilo and Roux earspeakers is too soft in a loud race car.

The solution that I got from one of the first users in Florida in a GT3 R was that the audio output stage of a small, rechargeable Bluetooth receiver was enough of a boost, coupled with the short version of this cable that you see listed, to make it work well.

That's a solution I've provided to three or four dozen folks, to good effect. They do not experience or have not related any latency or other issues.

Last edited by ProCoach; 05-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

I use this via Bluetooth, which is what I use when instructing, and it's flawless. Perfectly clear audio. More than loud enough (too loud on full volume). Charge them overnight and they'll last an entire day. No brainer.

https://www.ogracing.com/products/ch...hoC-1YQAvD_BwE
Old 05-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

This might be a dumb question... but is the audio through the car speakers usable in fully stock cars or is it just pointless to think I can do that with the window open at WOT at 200+ km/h?
Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This might be a dumb question... but is the audio through the car speakers usable in fully stock cars or is it just pointless to think I can do that with the window open at WOT at 200+ km/h?
Don't think you'd be able to hear it at all . . .
Old 05-18-2021, 04:25 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jreifler
Don't think you'd be able to hear it at all . . .
I kinda figured. So nobody is using the car speakers then right? Ugh. Guess I need to at least find some ear buds with a cord that will reach so I've got SOMETHING for my first time out in a few weeks.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:30 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

I kinda figured. So nobody is using the car speakers then right? Ugh. Guess I need to at least find some ear buds with a cord that will reach so I've got SOMETHING for my first time out in a few weeks.
No, for real. The $130 bluetooth chatterbox thing I linked is THE solution. Not a point of pride, or anything. It's just perfect. It pairs with the Catalyst immediately, and the battery lasts all day without turning it off, or having to re-pair it.

I realized it worked only by happenstance while instructing. The earpiece fits easily inside any helmet. It was designed / intended for motorcyclists riding together or in tandem. The volume level is perfect.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not a dumb question. Have a fair number of people that use the Bluetooth connection in their cars entertainment systems and turn it up. They like it.

If there's still car speakers in the car, I will bet it's not too loud for the stereo speakers to overcome.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 80 Posts

Horrible first outing with my 944Spec racecar this weekend at VIR> Camera wouldn't stay in position and the unit kept falling off the magnet. During my Record Breaking Lap In my video I catch it one handed while going through T17 and lay it on the seat pan.

I'll be ordering another hardmount base for it so I have one in each car, but the camera mount SUCKS. Ugh. Hopefully we'll sort it out. The unit falls off at 11:26.Apologies for the "exuberant" cheering and profanity. I was truly surprised when I hit the magic number and surprised a second time when I hit within .2/10th on the checker lap.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-18-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Damn, that’s no good!

The only time I’ve ever seen the Catalyst come off the mag mount is when the lever arm moves up and down and hits a limit stop, like the top of the dash, or the Catalyst edge hits something.

I do have the cage mount, plus we could talk about the camera mount options. It shouldn’t move, obviously. Let me know if I can help. Not common but it shouldn’t happen.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:41 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

So I purchased a set of tzumi Bluetooth earbuds.. 24 dollars. Worked like a charm... supposed 5 hours run time..
As far as the previous post.. yes points for style.. but did you possibly loose power to the mount?
Old 05-18-2021, 10:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not a dumb question. Have a fair number of people that use the Bluetooth connection in their cars entertainment systems and turn it up. They like it.

If there's still car speakers in the car, I will bet it's not too loud for the stereo speakers to overcome.
Well that’s promising! So it’s at least worth a shot then! My car is fully stock…. But with the window open at high speed is is pretty loud.

I’ll report back in a few weeks. 😁

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching