Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:14 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

If they are listening -- a tether, like a camera strap -- would be a great, cheap addition. Maybe adding it where screw to the bottom plate is would work.

Then we can have a tether to at least keep it from flying around if it comes off the magnetic mount.

Mike
Old 06-25-2021, 12:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default The Big SD cards...

They are nice, but you need to remember these SD cards are very easy to dislodge form their slot. Once installed, the system defaults to the secondary slot, you can imagine the consequences. In my case, I lost my data from the best session of the day, damn I really wanted it. I have learned my lesson.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:22 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
If they are listening -- a tether, like a camera strap -- would be a great, cheap addition. Maybe adding it where screw to the bottom plate is would work.

Then we can have a tether to at least keep it from flying around if it comes off the magnetic mount.

Mike
This problem is already solved. They sell a cage mount and it’s got TWO loops on it for a tether.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:23 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

This thing.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Got plenty of them.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-27-2021, 02:10 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

This thing.
My racing buddy who had one of those said it was a PITA to actually get it out when you want to do so...

C'est le vie.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
My racing buddy who had one of those said it was a PITA to actually get it out when you want to do so...

C'est le vie.
No, it’s not. Just don’t bolt the short locking end to the clip in mount, Then, it works simply, easily and securely.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 07:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Pet's approach works for me....

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, it’s not. Just don’t bolt the short locking end to the clip in mount, Then, it works simply, easily and securely.
This is how mine was mounted, as Peter described.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:59 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 63 Posts

Got mine yesterday (previous one I tested was borrowed from a friend), thanks @ProCoach !

One tiny bit of feedback as I was putting it in my car, I noticed there are 3 included USB cables for power but one the wrong end of it if you wanted to use it to power the magnetic mount.
  1. short USB - goes from magnetic mount to camera -- works fine
  2. medium USB - goes from cigarette outlet adaptor to magnetic mount (large USB connection) -- reaches OK but barely since in my Lotus the outlet is between the seats, not on on console/dash
  3. long USB - goes from cigarette outlet adaptor to TABLET (small USB connection) -- I was scratching my head on this why the connector doesn't plug into the magnetic mount (it's the wrong size). I guess they are thinking this is so you have a long cable to power the tablet while reviewing data outside of the car?
Anyway, not a big deal but seems like it would be better to have the long USB cable have the same end that fits the magnetic mount.

Looking forward to using it Friday at Laguna Seca!

Last edited by vincenz0; 06-29-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default One last thing....well, actually three!

1. Consider Hard wiring the Catalyst to your car's 12 V power,
  2. Consider the "Cage Mount:" that Peter sells...it has a loop to which a steel cable may be attached securing the Catalyst mount to the car. *****
  3. Once wired in, be certain to turn it off if leaving the car for extended periods of time. When leaving the track the first day there, the cars spends the night there, I always remove the Catalyst and take it back to the hotel. Then I can do more extensive data review and plan my strategy for tomorrow. In addition, I eliminate the possibility that car's battery may occur had I left the Catalyst powered on.
***** If you are concerned that the Catalyst could become separated from the Cage Mount in an "extreme" situation, with my Cage Mount I received an end cap that precluded this possibility. You will no longer be able to slide the Catalyst out of the Cage Mount for between session review, you'll have to unscrew the "end capped" Catalyst from the distal mounting extension joint. To be candid, I have not put the end cap on...maybe I will, but no rush as my next event isn't until September.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Got mine yesterday (previous one I tested was borrowed from a friend), thanks @ProCoach !

One tiny bit of feedback as I was putting it in my car, I noticed there are 3 included USB cables for power but one the wrong end of it if you wanted to use it to power the magnetic mount.
  1. short USB - goes from magnetic mount to camera -- works fine
  2. medium USB - goes from cigarette outlet adaptor to magnetic mount (large USB connection) -- reaches OK but barely since in my Lotus the outlet is between the seats, not on on console/dash
  3. long USB - goes from cigarette outlet adaptor to TABLET (small USB connection) -- I was scratching my head on this why the connector doesn't plug into the magnetic mount (it's the wrong size). I guess they are thinking this is so you have a long cable to power the tablet while reviewing data outside of the car?
Anyway, not a big deal but seems like it would be better to have the long USB cable have the same end that fits the magnetic mount.

Looking forward to using it Friday at Laguna Seca!
Long USB should go to camera, right angle plug, IIRC.

In the Lotus you could go with the hardwire power cable to switched power.

Tablet has to be powered to accept firmware ans app updates.

Enable Advanced Coaching under Audio.

No need for Garmin Connect.

Follow on screen prompts for camera setup, VERY IMPORTANT!
Old 06-30-2021, 01:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Just in case anybody is looking to get a bigger memory card for their device.

128GB - $11.19 shipped
Old 07-05-2021, 10:48 AM
max pl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like this device after using it at two events. The entire user experience of setting up, recording, transferring to computer is very simple compared to my old phone/external gps setup.

The number 1 thing on my wishlist for improvement would be better camera quality. Hopefully they release an updated camera in the next year or two that we can use with this. I'm not even interested in higher resolution, but improved bitrate I believe is what I want from this 1080p camera; It's just not as sharp as 1080p from a photo camera or newer GoPro.

Last edited by max pl; 07-05-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:48 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 63 Posts

@max pl Agreed the bitrate seems pretty low on the current camera. It'd even be OK if they let you interface with your own higher spec camera like a GoPro.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:06 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I finally got to use mine!!

I gotta say... on top of all the benefits... having the Garmin lady riding passenger is just plain fun. I'm happy to say that the audio was clear as day through the stock stereo on my stock GT3 with the driver's window down. The volume was cranked up pretty high... obviously... but I could hear her perfectly.

The audio in the exported video is mostly garbage... as you'd expect with the window open... but you CAN hear her enough to see that the setup is just fine.

She DID throw a bit of shade at me at the end of the day, telling me my best possible lap was a 1:30.01. I mean... would it have killed her to give me 2 100ths???

The following users liked this post:
AngeloGTS (10-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching